Fiberglass tub refinishing

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have any first hand experience in refinishing their fiberglass tub? I have seen lots of kits available online but I'm sceptical about getting a nice finish from something applied with a roller.

Having a pro come to my home to do a spray job is not an option because of where I live.

Thanks

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fiberglass tub refinishing

Not on fiberglass tub, but have done several porcelain cast iron tubs. Prep is the key, but the finish is not that durable. Pay special attention around the drain, as this area seems to fail first. I took the strainer out of the last two and they seem to be holding up better than the others.
Tenants tear them up pretty quick. Maybe 3 years out of the coating.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Does anyone have any first hand experience in refinishing their fiberglass tub? I have seen lots of kits available online but I'm sceptical about getting a nice finish from something applied with a roller.

If it's not too far gone, you can polish a fiberglass tub just like a boat.
I did my stall shower a couple months ago and it looks like new. I used the 3M 'finesse-it' polishing system and, while it was a lot of work, I'm happy with the end result.

i386

Captain

The wife refinished her fiberglass shower to cover up the dated harvest gold color. It turned out great. Much better than ripping out and replacing. I had just finished doing my restoration boat's hull with Interlux Perfection when she did her shower. The two products were pretty similar in how they were mixed and applied.

Mike Robinson

If it's not too far gone, you can polish a fiberglass tub just like a boat.
I did my stall shower a couple months ago and it looks like new. I used the 3M 'finesse-it' polishing system and, while it was a lot of work, I'm happy with the end result.

I thought about that. I may do this to the ensuite shower stall but the main bathroom's tub has some damage to the finish.

Thanks Arks

Mike Robinson

The wife refinished her fiberglass shower to cover up the dated harvest gold color. It turned out great. Much better than ripping out and replacing. I had just finished doing my restoration boat's hull with Interlux Perfection when she did her shower. The two products were pretty similar in how they were mixed and applied.

What product did your wife use i386?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I've done several over the years, just use one of the high end 2 part paints and it will work fine. If you plan to brush and roll then make sure you get a paint that can be applied that way. Add a couple extra layers to any high wear areas and it will hold up for a very long time.

I did my moms about 7 years ago and it still looks great.

Mike Robinson

Thanks ondarvr

So that was an epoxy paint then I assume. What kind or surface prep did you have to do?

WizeOne

Commander

What about re-coating with sprayed on Gelcoat? Seems that the surface would be compatible and the Gelcoat should stand up to all the water better than two part epoxy paints???

I've been wondering about this too. What a PITA to remove the shower. The biggest issue, IMHO, would be matching the drywall texture around the shower, not to mention the mess of ripping out and replacing the drywall to begin with.

My shower is about 22 years old and has held up fairly well but it is getting pretty groaty down on the textured floor. Fortunately there are no cracks anywhere. It must have been a reasonably built enclosure.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Thanks ondarvr

So that was an epoxy paint then I assume. What kind or surface prep did you have to do?

I use 2 part poly urethane, it typically has a higher gloss and levels great. For surface prep, clean it very well and use a scotch-brite pad to remove the gloss.

i386

Captain

What product did your wife use i386?

Sorry... I asked her but she couldn't remember.

She bought the kit from Home Depot and had it for months before she got around to using it. One kit wasn't enough to finish the job so she returned to HD for another. They didn't carry that brand anymore so she bought what they had. Luckily there were no problems applying one produce over another.

I checked HD's web site hoping to find something to jog mine or her memory. Looks like what they carry now is a Bond-O brand. She knows for sure is was not Bond-O brand.