Weight of boat and trailer?

15flats

Seaman
I have a 15ft flats boat. It is a Happy Traveler made from a now out of business company from Georgia. My question is, how much could this boat weigh? My dilemma is simple. I got a trailer from my brother in law, fixed it to work with this boat, had a really hard time getting the boat on the trailer (it was on the ground), but now I went to title the boat and tag the trailer along with renewing my truck and car tags (birthday month) and the tag office wants a weigh scale done. If I knew how much the boat weighs, even approx, I could subtract that from the total weight and give that receipt to the tag office to get my tag.

Here is some info i guess you would need:
Evinrude 70H.P.
live well
seats 4
15' 5" long
Fiberglass

What else do you need? I know this trailer can't weigh more than maybe 110lbs. What other suggestions do you have?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Weight of boat and trailer?

no way a trailer that holds a 15' boat weighs only 110 lbs... 500 would be a closer guess on the light end

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used to have a 16ft fiberglass cc flats type boat and it weighed about 1100lbs with the 70hp 2 stroke yamaha.

and about the trailer, it might not weigh 500 if its small, but its gotta be more than 110lbs.

15flats

Seaman

Yeah, I figured if I got a approximation on the boats weight, then I could take it to get weighed and subtract that from the total weight.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What's the brand name on the trailer. If they still exist call them. Otherwise dunk the boat, have someone stand guard, go the nearest scale and weigh it.

15flats

Seaman

Silvertip, that is what it looks like will happen. I was just trying to do it the easy way.

Willyclay

Captain

Otherwise dunk the boat, have someone stand guard, go the nearest scale and weigh it.

After weighing without the boat, you could disconnect the trailer and weigh the tow vehicle separately to be absolutely sure about the weight of the trailer. Good luck!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take your hole rig to the a scale, not sure on your location but grain elevators have scales and may be able to weight you also if you have a dump or scrap yard they should have one you may be able to use. Get your total weight boat and trailer then dock the boat and go weigh the trailer. This way you get the weight of the trailer and the boat separate of each other.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

the dump usually has scales, good reason to take the garbage out.:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

All you need is a 2x6x4ft, a block of wood the same height as your bathroom scale and a bathroom scale. Draw a line across the center point of the board. Load the stuff into the boat (don't forget the scale) and head to the ramp. Splash the boat. Take the trailer to the parking lot and jack up one wheel. Put one end of the board on the block and the other end on the scale. Slide this assembly under the wheel so the wheel is exactly on the center line. Lower the trailer and note the reading on the scale. You just measured the weight of ONE SIDE of the trailer but using the laws of leverage, the reading is only ONE HALF of that side so multiply x2 to get the real weight. If you read 125# for example, that side of the trailer weighs 250#. It is safe to assume the other side also weighs 250# so the trailer, minus tongue weight = 500#. You now disconnect the tongue and rest it on the scale. Add that weight to the 500. Done -- now jump into the boat and go fishing.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar issue here in Michigan. In Michigan, as long as the trailer is under a certain weight (2500 pounds if I recall correctly), the fee is the same. Weighed my 15.5 ft boat boat and trailer together at 1100 pounds. Took that to the Secretary of State's office. No problem. Your boat may also be under your states limit. Check and see.

TerryMSU

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

All you need is a 2x6x4ft, a block of wood the same height as your bathroom scale and a bathroom scale. Draw a line across the center point of the board. Load the stuff into the boat (don't forget the scale) and head to the ramp. Splash the boat. Take the trailer to the parking lot and jack up one wheel. Put one end of the board on the block and the other end on the scale. Slide this assembly under the wheel so the wheel is exactly on the center line. Lower the trailer and note the reading on the scale. You just measured the weight of ONE SIDE of the trailer but using the laws of leverage, the reading is only ONE HALF of that side so multiply x2 to get the real weight. If you read 125# for example, that side of the trailer weighs 250#. It is safe to assume the other side also weighs 250# so the trailer, minus tongue weight = 500#. You now disconnect the tongue and rest it on the scale. Add that weight to the 500. Done -- now jump into the boat and go fishing.

Wouldn't you only need to do the 2x6 board thing if the trailer was gonna max out your bathroom scale?

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As for a scale to use, if you have been paying your state taxes, use one of those weight stations the state makes available on the side of highways. Those state employees should have no issues with your getting both empty and loaded weights.

I would just suggest not going at the really busy times since those big wheelers might run you over.

15flats

Seaman

ifallsguy, LOL!!! I have a CDL A, used to drive them big boys, gave it up. I went back and spoke with a manager, brought the boat with me, he looked at it and gave me my tag. Guess he wanted to see me go fishing as well!!! ;)