need Expert advice, no wood for deck/stringers

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: need Expert advice, no wood for deck/stringers

No problem 65mech. This forum is so valuable and these guys on here offer some of the best advice!
Keep thinking and asking questions and with the help of these guys you will come up with an idea that is best suited for you.
Good Luck,
Mick

Bondo

Staff member

i was looking for a somewhat cheap and fast approach.

Ayuh,... Ok, so I'm being abit facetious,...
My point was, 65Mech's plan is Neither Fast, nor Cheap...

Poured unsupport resins offer absolutely No strength,...
Structure creates Strength...

65Mech's plan also fails to address what should be Priority #1 with All of Us rebuilding hulls,....

Drainage....

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

is there any kind of product that you could "pour" to make your structures. ie: stringers and deck.

Corey

for the stringers etc...
http://transomrepair.com/zk/

the floor...I do not know about that. If it was one poured system there would be no way to ever access and repair anything underneath without destroying the boat if it were necessary

65Mech

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... Ok, so I'm being abit facetious,...
My point was, 65Mech's plan is Neither Fast, nor Cheap...

Poured unsupport resins offer absolutely No strength,...
Structure creates Strength...

65Mech's plan also fails to address what should be Priority #1 with All of Us rebuilding hulls,....

Drainage....

Bottom line, there is nothing you can "pour" that is A:) Stong enough B:) Will bond stong enough C:) Be flexible enough.
Those are pretty much the answers i was looking for. in a "perfect" world water would never get underneath the deck and you would never need to make any repairs down the road. but if it was a perfect world we wouldnt be discussing this to begin with. thanks for your words of wisdom guys.

scipper77

Commander

ok, Here's my .02. What if instead of making the poured in stringers lighter you engineered them to make them much smaller but the same strength.

For example instead of cutting out a traditional stringer in the foam you could make an I-beam shape. Make a thin cut to start and then get in there with something to make the bottom flange out like an I-beam. And of course add a top flange. In this way you would have an ibeam that contours to the hull of the boat. I've never worked with the materials you are discussing here but I am an engineer and the strength advantages of the I-beam seem like a perfect fit here.

They even make I-beams out of MDF for new home construction nowadays. It's just a good design.

65Mech

Seaman Apprentice

it wasnt a matter of weight, its a matter of being able to do a quick turn around on a stringer/deck redo. good idea though

scipper77

Commander

I thought we were worried about weight as in the amount of resin/seacast/whatever because of the extreme cost of the material.

On a side note I have often wondered if you could just glass over the old rotten stringers with sturdy structural glass matt and make the hull as strong as new in that way. Sure it would add weight to the hull but it would save a TON of work. If I had to guess I'd say that if it were that easy everyone would be fixing stringers this way as I'm sure I'm not the only one who ever thought of this.
Anyone care to tell me why glassing over stringers is a bad idea. I just want to know so I can put this idea out of my head.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I thought we were worried about weight as in the amount of resin/seacast/whatever because of the extreme cost of the material.

On a side note I have often wondered if you could just glass over the old rotten stringers with sturdy structural glass matt and make the hull as strong as new in that way. Sure it would add weight to the hull but it would save a TON of work. If I had to guess I'd say that if it were that easy everyone would be fixing stringers this way as I'm sure I'm not the only one who ever thought of this.
Anyone care to tell me why glassing over stringers is a bad idea. I just want to know so I can put this idea out of my head.

Yes you could glass over the stringers and call it good, but most of the time the original construction was so poor that that it needs to be rebuilt anyhow. Plus you can't really do that with a transom, so since your ripping things apart you might as well do the whole thing.

chuck in WA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've often thought about this also. I haven't done much research, and I'm no engineer, but..... Let's say during the manufacture of a boat, after glassing in the wood stringers the wood magically disappeared or somehow disolved. How much strength would you actually lose? This question assumes that the motor mounts or other structural components were not tied in to the stringers. I've built a wood/fiberglass kayak and have been researching another, and from what I've read the strength (in a kayak anyway) comes really from the space between the glass (as in the I-beam theory posted above). Interesting discussion at least....