84 SS160 O/B size

dozerII

Admiral
My SS's compliance plate say's 90hp max, would a mid 90's 115 be too much. I think the weight is almost the same as 90. I may have a great deal way too good to pass up, as my 75 hp is toast.
Thanks
Glen

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: 84 SS160 O/B size

If you carry insurance on the boat, which you should. Then the max is the max. IF you damage someone elses property and they make a claim and the ins company finds that you are over they may not pay the claim and leave holding the bag.
If you dont have ins. then your holding it anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Oh well , repaint the hood and put 90 hp Decals on it the can make you a set at any sign shop that does vinal.

86 century

Ensign

They made an i/o version that was 120hp I think. If it helps any I plan on a 200 rude on my 18' ss. good luck

sred137

Seaman

If you look at the merc website they give the specs. for the motors.I think that the 75 90 and 115 are all the exact same weight.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Your boat should run perfect with a 115 on her. If she chine walks slow down. I know a guy with a 150 on his. Scary fast. The cowl on a 90 or 115 are the same size if it?s a tower of power (I6). If you find it doesn?t work for you keep the motor for your next project. Better yet ship it to me. GLG

dozerII

Admiral

Your boat should run perfect with a 115 on her. If she chine walks slow down. I know a guy with a 150 on his. Scary fast. The cowl on a 90 or 115 are the same size if it?s a tower of power (I6). If you find it doesn?t work for you keep the motor for your next project. Better yet ship it to me. GLG

:D:D:D
Thanks everyone. I talked to my marine mechanic, he's been selling and fixing mercs for 40 years, and he said the 90, 100,and 115 are the same engine other than carbs and porting. The exact same weight eve, I like the decal change idea. The motor has oil injection can anyone tell me when they started doing that on this motor.

Thanks
Glen

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You probably don't have all the ambulance chasing attorneys up there but as previously stated, if you have an accident with an overpowered boat, a skilled attorney representing the other party will make you look like a calculating killer. Changing the decals doesn't change the identifying numbers on the engine tag. Of course, if you never have a problem, you'll never have a problem.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks everyone. In the end I decided against the 115, it is a straight 6 tower of power and I think just too big. I am looking at a 93 Johnson 90 hp that I think will be more suitable.

Glen

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone. In the end I decided against the 115, it is a straight 6 tower of power and I think just too big. I am looking at a 93 Johnson 90 hp that I think will be more suitable.

Glen

Was the tower of power a distributor model or the solid-state one?
If it the solid state I would be interested. Did you get a compression test?
GLG

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Glen

I think you are better off.

dozerII

Admiral

Today I ordered the Johnson. It is getting a complete overhaul top to bottom at a Marine shop in Winnipeg. I will get the motor mid February, so will still be able to make the first soft water in the spring.

Was the tower of power a distributor model or the solid-state one?
If it the solid state I would be interested. Did you get a compression test?
GLG

GLG I don't know about the ignition type on this motor, but the serial # is OA738851 and according to what I can find it is a 1985 not a mid 90's like the guy said. I had a good friend go look at it for me as I live four hours away from where it is. He said it looks in great shape. IfI was interested in it I was going to have Lethbridge Marine go through it for me. They charge $85.00 to check compression, leg and tank test it. The fellow who has it listed is so confident it is in prefect condition he had no problem with me doing this. It is listed on Kijiji #170405919 The boat is a piece of crap, but the trailer is in great shape.

Glen