Hi everyone, i need some help...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hi everyone, i need some help...

Ernie, read all of the responses, Silvertip gave you this earlier "1960 24:1 fuel mix 5.3ozs per gallon.Use TCW3 rated oil.87 octane regular unleaded gas" that makes 50:1 +- 2.6 oz per gallon.

or 24:1 for 6 gallons we use a quart of oil.

50:1 for 6 gallons we use a pint of oil

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm just wondering how much damage was done when you guys were running this with no oil in the gas?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

yup its electric shift i'll post some pic's either later today or in the morning

Don't get confused on this thing. A Lark II, model 35521 is a 1960 and CANNOT be electric shift. They weren't even invented yet in 1960.

Willyclay

Captain

I have a non-factory service manual scanned and saved that covers your motor. If you would like a free copy, send me a Private Message with your email address and I will reply with it attached. While it is not nearly as complete as a "factory" manual and the pictures are a little fuzzy, it served me well for many years with a 1959 Johnson 35HP. FYI, I ran mine with 50:1 gas/oil mix for ten years without any problems. Good luck with that great old boat and motor!

AZ_Ernie

Cadet

Don't get confused on this thing. A Lark II, model 35521 is a 1960 and CANNOT be electric shift. They weren't even invented yet in 1960.

i didnt see any levers near the steering wheel, but i'll look again

I have a non-factory service manual scanned and saved that covers your motor. If you would like a free copy, send me a Private Message with your email address and I will reply with it attached. While it is not nearly as complete as a "factory" manual and the pictures are a little fuzzy, it served me well for many years with a 1959 Johnson 35HP. FYI, I ran mine with 50:1 gas/oil mix for ten years without any problems. Good luck with that great old boat and motor!

pm sent thankyou very much:D

AZ_Ernie

Cadet

I'm just wondering how much damage was done when you guys were running this with no oil in the gas?

we started it with gas that the original owner mixed for us, he didnt give us the mixture that he used though, so im ganna go with the info that i have gotten from everyone here and use 24:1 for the first 2 tanks and 50:1 after that.

I would like to thank everyone for all the information that was given to me, I'am sure I'll have some more questions down the road i will post pic's so everyone can check it out...... me and my dad a going to give it a custom paint job and re-do all the interior so stay tunned :D

AZ_Ernie

Cadet

so these motor's dont actually have a seperate spot to put oil in? they just take a oil/gas mixture? this is my first boat so sorry for the weird questions :confused:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

It's a two-cycle engine, not a 4 cycle engine that's used in a car.
The lubricating oil is mixed in the gas.
It makes the engine much simpler and lighter, since there is no valve train to worry about.
Smokes alot more, though!

AZ_Ernie

Cadet

It's a two-cycle engine, not a 4 cycle engine that's used in a car.
The lubricating oil is mixed in the gas.
It makes the engine much simpler and lighter, since there is no valve train to worry about.
Smokes alot more, though!

thats what i thought at first but wasnt 100% sure thats crazy well now i know a little more you learn something new every day :D

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You have a loooooong way to go.

Time to learn proper towing/strapping
Pre-checks
Then launching/loading
Then trim/tilt
what to do, what not to do, what to carry, right of way,
Boat sections, parts, and terms.
and what transom and stingers are. before long I'm sure you'll learn how to change the deck too...

AZ_Ernie

Cadet

You have a loooooong way to go.

Time to learn proper towing/strapping
Pre-checks
Then launching/loading
Then trim/tilt
what to do, what not to do, what to carry, right of way,
Boat sections, parts, and terms.
and what transom and stingers are. before long I'm sure you'll learn how to change the deck too...

ya i know a little bit, i've been in boats with my grandpa since i was 3 years old... we always went fishing up at rosavelt and apache, now we go up to the pinetop area up at horse shoe, big bear and theres a few more lakes out there... but non the less i have more to learn :D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The easist way to get the correct amount of "erl" (Nawlins pronunciation :D) in the gasoline for any given ratio, is to use a mixing bottle with markings on on it. They are availabe at just about any marine store and have graduated markings by the gallon, for each of the common mix ratios.

I own about a dozen of them and buy my oil in bulk. I have a 3 gallon gas can that I bought specifically for bulk oil - I just show up at my local OMC/BRP dealer and he fills it with XD30 (semi-synthetic) for me. I then go home and fill the bottle with enough oil for 12 gallons of gas, since I have a pair of 12 gallon saddle tanks in the boat. My bottles only show markings to 10.5 gallons at the 50:1 mix, but I figured out where the line would be for 12 gallons and fill the bottles accordingly.

???