What CARS do you think will be a 'Future Classic'?

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What CARS do you think will be a 'Future Classic'?

Actually based off the x-body cars...Cavalier.

The really only good Fieros were in the last year they made them.

The rear cradle and suspension was directly from the x-bodies but the front was all Chevette (which unfortunately included the bearings which burnt up quickly due to the wider stance of the Fieros). I had an 85 2M6 and parts were incredibly cheap and bountiful. I bought it with 110K and sold it with 160k and it still ran like a banshee. Fun little cars. The last year of the run was when they finally got to use the suspension components that were originally designed to go in those cars. I've not driven the last model year so I cannot comment about it being any better. The fire issue was due to **** poor quality parts and was common to the 1984 run only. My only compaint outside of the bearing issue was that it would cook an alternator every year. They were only about $50 alternators but that engine compartment was so darned tight I hated changing them.

Wish I still had that car. There are a lot of companies selling conversion kits to put V8's in there. Now that would be fun... :cool:

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

That was my dream car in college in the 1990's. A college friend of mine back then when they were 50k (can't recall exactly) had two of the VR4's while I had a 1984 Chrysler Laser rusted through the floor boards. Is yours the twin turbo VR4?

Mines a SL. We've had 3 of them over the years. I like the non-turbo version the best. The second GT I added a juice kit.... had a 10lb bottle in the hatch.... that car would pretty much eat anything if you could keep control of it! (the torque steer was unreal at WOT)

The current GT is stock.... wifey wanted this one to hold up for awhile....lol. I did add one 12" sub & 800 watt amp tho... I have a hard time leaving anything alone! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I think out of the new cars the Challenger SRT,The V-8 Camaro,Mustang GT and the GTO have a chance.

Who knows how long plastic will hold up though...:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly, especially the Challenger, an instant classic and collectable car..

I do see too much of any of the new eco box cars ever becoming rare or collectable....

I would love to have my 74 260z back tho...THEY are gettin scarce

Laddies

Banned

How about a 2005 Chrysler 300 C, a grocery getter with GO.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like my Astro van to become classic one day:)

scipper77

Commander

I'm very suprised that nobody has posted any pictures.

Let me repeat that the Mits eclipse/ Eagle talon(/Plymouth laser) Is for sure a future classic.
5093500006_large.jpg

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As scary a thought as this is when I think about what's parked in our driveway and shop...

I have to wonder how long before anything that burns gas will be obsolete and worthless.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Geez Mike- nothing like bringing us down! :rolleyes:

I'm very suprised that nobody has posted any pictures.

Good idea scipper!

Let's see what cars you guys have (or had) that might become valuable.

Here's my '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9. Just took the picture today while at the marina.
BTW- my boat is visible between the Jeeps (green canvas).

Jan2010001.jpg

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

How about a 76 50th Anniversary "Smokey and the Bandit" T/A ... oh wait, it already is .... selling at 4-5 times originaly MSRP (yea, I got one with 42,000 miles on her ... made 1800 of them).

Educate me here. Smokey and the Bandit car had 4 square headlights in a non-molded front bumper made in '77 and '78. '76 T/A's had round headlights didn't they?

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about a 76 50th Anniversary "Smokey and the Bandit" T/A ... oh wait, it already is .... selling at 4-5 times originaly MSRP (yea, I got one with 42,000 miles on her ... made 1800 of them).

Educate me here. Smokey and the Bandit car had 4 square headlights in a non-molded front bumper made in '77 and '78. '76 T/A's had round headlights didn't they?

76 did have two round headlights. The car used in "Smokey and the Bandit" was the '77 Special Edition Trans Am. The '76 was called the Limited Edition, for Pontiacs 50th anniv. Same color schemes though.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Dunno about the '77's future now that Year One is kicking out turn-key reproductions...

dsc_2591.jpg

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

There seems to be a pile of those Bandit TA's around. I know 3 people with them. One is a chick that uses her's as a daily driver. I've seen it covered in road salt in parking lots around town all winter.