46'' Toshiba Regza-Worth the money??

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Gonna buy one tonight just checking to see if they are a good TV, seem to have all the stuff and it is under 900.

Searched Best Buy and this one seems to have all the stuff and the biggest screen for the least money, any input is appriciated.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 46'' Toshiba Regza-Worth the money??

We've had a 52" Regza for about a year and love it. I'm pretty picky and think it's a great TV,,, if I thought it was a POS I'd tell ya' :D

We were looking at 46" TV's too, but after seeing them in the store, from our viewing distance, we decided to bump up to a 52" set. 46" seemed small, 60" seemed too big, but the 52 was just right... We got it off Amazon for $1100, no shipping or taxes.

I also bought an APC line conditioner since I didn't want the new TV taking a dive from a power bump,,, and buying off Amazon was a gamble since there isn't a local store to back up the purchase if the TV had problems.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I bought a panny 42s1 42 inch plasma the other day NIB for 650 bucks, much better picture than a regaza or any LCD under 2 grand for that matter.
With all the tv's under 2 grand on the market these days plasma's look and perform much better.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya I got there and looked at them and Jason is right, the plasma blew the LCDs away.

I wound up with a Panasonic Veira G15 46" on sale for $1000, was 1500 last week so I think I got a good deal.

The only thing I am regreting alittle is getting the 5 year service plan for $400, sorta feel like I got sold on that but I don't know.

They will come out as many times as I want and "tune up" the tv which the guy said was 300 bucks a pop so at least I get something for it and you never know, there is alot of stuff that can break.

So in the end I spent $400 more than I wanted but I got $2000 worth of stuff for $1500.

I don't like spending money so I am still flipping out abit btu I am sure that will go away after I get it hooked up and start watching it.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

That's a good deal. The G10/G15 series are awesome tv's. It's a step up from my S series set.

The warranties are nothing more than an insurance plan. There's nothing to "tune up" in a plasma tv. Older rear projection sets did need to have their convergence adjusted every once in a while, but nothing of the sort with the new sets. They usually don't fix the plasmas if they break, so basically your paying 400 bucks for 5 years worth of TV insurance. like all other insurances... they stink if you don't use them but a godsend if you have to.

waterinthefuel

Commander

I can vouch for that. My parents bought their first computer in 1995. They got the extended warranty. A few months after the factory warranty ended the motherboard literally exploded. They refused to put a new motherboard in it and replaced the entire computer with a brand new one that was more than twice as fast! So needless to say, they were happy! :D

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Got it hooked up last night and I am no longer flipping out, that thing is awsome, even the spaekaers aren't too bad although I have a surround sound.

I need to get with Direct tv and upgrade to the HD packeage, the pic is not the greatest on 480 so hopefully get that doen today and we are in buisness and I can watch the Colts play in hi def baby.

Working 6 days a week 10 hours a day so I am ready to just sit and watch some tv for awhile, been going from 4:30 am till 9 pm for 3 days now and I am tired.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Working 6 days a week 10 hours a day so I am ready to just sit and watch some tv for awhile, been going from 4:30 am till 9 pm for 3 days now and I am tired.

Congrats on the new TV. I'm glad your working so much. That whole area has been pretty devastated recently. Is the area/industry beginning to rebound?

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I bought that 46 Toshiba & ended up taking it back. I wasn't crazy about the picture. It wasn't bad, but I already had a plasma & it didn't compare. I was going to swap it out with another 50 Panasonic, but they didn't have it in stock. I lucked out & got 54 Panny on Amazon for just 100 more.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a good price. I bought my 42" Regza in 2007 for $1400 at AAFES. The picture is not as good as a plasma, but the longevity of the TV is way better than that of a plasma. Also if you have a lot of windows or a picture window behind the TV, a plasma is not the answer. I once looked at a plasma in AAFES while it was turned on and I could see every darn overhead light in the store on the screen.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya Sm, Bennington is alive and well, right before Thanksgiving we were still working 4 days a week then it just exploded.

I have hired 3 people this week and we are scheduled for 6 full production days thru Feb.

Funny how that stuff goes, last year at this time I was working 3 days at work and 3 days at my buddies body shop for about half the money, its alot of hours but I will take my current situation I think.

DirectTV whacked me $175 for a HD/DVR but I geuss that is what it takes.

Now that this little adventure is over I need to start stuffing money in the bank again.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Remember you can always get the local networks in HD free with an off air antenna.
They look better than Direct TV local channels too.....no bandwidth compression.
I was not thrilled with Direct TV HD....switched to the cable HD and better picture quality for sure.

Good point too on the room it will be used in.If you have much natural light coming in the windows LCD is the way to go.
Also the stores all display the tv's with the brightness,color and contrast all cranked up high.

Next to Sony the Samsung is a great TV...I have seen 46 inch size for under 1000 bucks.

I just bought a 42 inch Samsung LCD for the bedroom and love it.
It actually has a little better picture than our Sony XBR in the living room...

Congrats on the new TV..:D

Toshiba is not the TV they used to be.
I have had one Toshiba TV die just after the warranty was out.
Also 3 Toshiba laptops that were junk right out of the box...got a refund on those and bought a different brand...Just my opinion..;)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I am sorta married to DirectTV through a 2 year contract so I really have nowhere else to go without a penalty and I have spent enough money this week.

I hve several windows in my living room, one directly opposite the tv and haven't had any problems with glare, actually this new one is better than my old CRT, I geuss they have come along way on anti glare coatings.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now get yourself a Blu Ray player or a Sony Playstation if your into video games. Blu Ray is amazing on the new hi def TV's.