Converting Rollers to bunks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Converting Rollers to bunks

The second link largely supports what I have said and speaks directlly to the questions and problems that the original poster of this thread asked. Good link!

The first link, however, was obviously written by some kid that has little boating experience. I do laugh so often at the misinformation you find on the net.

I speak from personal experience...both good and bad. I've screwed up a lot and have leaned from my mistakes.

Early in my boating career I was confounded by bad weather during the last cruise for the year. I inadvertently pulled the boat too far on the trailer and the transom slipped off the rearmost roller. The trailer was a conventional tilt model with keel rollers and roller bunks. The boat was a 16' outboard with a fairly hefty engine. Next Spring the hull had a hook in it caused by the weight of the engine pushing down where there was no roller to support it.

I think by now this thread is beating a dead horse. I'm off to the Cleveland International boat show and the annual Lyman Boat Owners annual reunion. See ya in the Spring.

PS - a wise old man once told me to believe nothing of what you read and only half of what you are told. Rely on what you see for yourself.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

I think the horse is still moving a little, so I'm going to take a swing at it.

Whether or not one needs center rollers with bunks depends a bit on the design of the trailer. If the keel of the boat will come close to hitting the trailer frame, by all means, install or leave a few rollers down the center line. Or install rubber pads to cushion those areas. The pads won't take as much room as rollers and will allow for a lower placement of the boat on the trailer.

Our Sea Ray came new on a Sea Ray trailer with only two bunks (made of 2 x 6 material covered with carpet) and no rollers. Over the rear frame piece, the factory installed a piece of heavy rubber to cushion the boat should it ever hit there. If loaded properly, it doesn't touch much or at all, and after 18 years of loading and unloading - including in high wind and waves - no damage has occurred.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Not trying to bea tthe horse, and I am certainly not going to tell someone that they are DEAD wrong with a setup method that has worked for them for years. This is about sharing knowledge and experience so that the OP can make a somewhat educated decision on their own...

That said, still noone has addressed why noone (that I have seen) doing a roller to bunk conversion put on Beam bunks instead of 2x4 or 2x6. Just wondering if someone wants to whare their opinion on this.....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

no need for 4x bunks on small boats and 2x's on flat can be conformed to curve of hull.... otherwise no real difference except strength

Knightgang

Lieutenant

no need for 4x bunks on small boats and 2x's on flat can be conformed to curve of hull.... otherwise no real difference except strength

Maybe not the need for strength, but I bet that 80% of the boats in my area on trailers with beam bunks... I will say, having has a trailer with 2x4 bunks and one with the beams, the beams make loading much easier by assisting with self centering...

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

What seems to get lost in so many of these discussions is that different hull shapes and boat sizes call for different support solutions. I know most everyone knows this, but it I think it needs to be said for the benefit of the OP who might otherwise be left to wonder why so many divergent opinions are expressed by boaters, all of whom seem to have many years of experience and do quite nicely for themselves.

pparvin

Cadet

Thanks for all the input folks, the more I think about it I think I'll learn to load the setup I have, after all it was setup for this boat originally.