90hp Mariner Gear Ratio?????

ksgoosekillr

Cadet
I have a 1991 mercury /mariner 90hp 3cyl outboard.... serial #0D080511.... Can anyone here tell me what the gear ratio of this lower unit is? And what is the max WOT rpm rating? thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90hp Mariner Gear Ratio?????

That's a 10-4 on Mr. Laddies consensus. Have one of a few years later and it is as he said.

Mark

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOT rpm range 5250-5500, I've got a 1991 merc 90hp.

ksgoosekillr

Cadet

THANKS GUYS!!!!, i really appreciate the info. To the last poster what type of boat are you running this engine on and what speeds are you getting with your prop combination? I just purchased this boat at the end of last season and it is a 17' spectrum deep v boat propped with an alum 21P 3 blade. MY top speeds were 34 MAX.... However the rectifier was shot so i was not getting a signal to my tach, i replaced this over the winter to give me a clue of RPMS im running. Id like to re prop to get soem better performance. But dont have all the info i need yet to start looking. Just tryign to get some comparibles, as i have no idea if 34mph is slwo for this HP motor. thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

THANKS GUYS!!!!, i really appreciate the info. To the last poster what type of boat are you running this engine on and what speeds are you getting with your prop combination? I just purchased this boat at the end of last season and it is a 17' spectrum deep v boat propped with an alum 21P 3 blade. MY top speeds were 34 MAX.... However the rectifier was shot so i was not getting a signal to my tach, i replaced this over the winter to give me a clue of RPMS im running. Id like to re prop to get soem better performance. But dont have all the info i need yet to start looking. Just tryign to get some comparibles, as i have no idea if 34mph is slwo for this HP motor. thanks

As I said, I essentially have that engine on a 17' alum BB that weighs 700# dry, but with me and batteries/fuel and other gear, it probably is up in the 1400# range. It does have a 3 tier stepped hull which reduces hull contact with the water at higher speeds and I have hit 50 exactly GPS on a cold day in calm water (regularly can run 48) with just myself aboard. Picture in my Avatar is the wake at the time.

I'm running a Ballistic XP 24P SS which I bought from this site for not much over $200 several years ago...obviously it was on sale. I turn a solid 5600 rpm at WOT. Like all the prop experts tell you, until you mount a prop and run it, you just don't know....it's just speculation, but some of them can speculate very close to actuals.

I have 4 props for this boat (17SS, 21SS, 23 alum, and this one). Obviously I walked my way up. I bought the rig with the 17 with the boat 2 years old; can't imagine the orig. owner ran this boat for 2 years like it was. The boat was so under propped that you got whiplash on hole shot and you don't want to know the numbers on the tach at WOT. Matter of fact, on my first time out, I hit WOT once and never again with that prop. Took her home and bought the 21.

In my opinion the dealer (I have his name and he is a big dealer in the Dallas area) who sold the orig. owner the boat didn't pay attention to the fact that the gearbox is 2.3, not 2.0 and the 17 was not near enough pitch. On a 2.0 (like the 100+ Mercs of the year) it would have been just about right but, thinking about it, with the added hp, it wouldn't have been right for them either.

A given pitch SS will outperform the same pitch alum hands down and with the different blade shapes (bow lift, stern lift, hole shot, high trim setting grip, and all the other variables) you just can't compare them. Right off the bat, with the same pitched SS of probably any brand/model, you would probably pick up a couple mph with an increase in rpm's also.

Get in the prop section and ask the question.

Mark

ksgoosekillr

Cadet

You know i wanted to. But read all the strict requirements abouts posting for prop suggestions without knowing all the factors. My boat is an aluminum deep v, and i have no idea on the tach speeds im getting. just seemed a little on the slow side. Thanks for the suggestions, what diameter prop are you running?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

13 1/2 roughly. I just did a search on this site for props to fit my engine and there is only one and it is $386. Obviously things have changed. Diameter moves around a little with pitch. Get a prop for your lower unit (casting) diameter (4 1/4") and the diameter of the prop could be anywhere around that number, but slightly smaller. The lower the pitch, usually the larger the diameter.

Mark

ksgoosekillr

Cadet

I was out doing some more maintenance on my engine last night, and was chaning the LU oil, and checking for any problems when i noticed the prop. The original owner is the one who stated it was a 21P, and stamped plain as day on the housing is 19P.... thats what i get for not inspecting it myself i guess. To me it seem way under pitched, but i did notice that i dont have any hole shot what so ever and is pretty slow to plain.... i though the lower the pitch the better the hole shot is? am i wrong with that thinking?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You have another problem. Either your boat is way overweight or your engine is not running on all 3 which can easily happen and sometimes is hard to diagnose. BTDT Loosing 1/3 of your ponies will certainly impact your performance.

My boat is not that far from yours and even with my 24p I can plane out in 3-4 seconds with my normal load if I firewall it, which is pretty fast for any fishing rig........well,20 FT BB with 250 hp excepted. Ha!

Mark

ksgoosekillr

Cadet

I will run a compression test this evening and report back the numbers, I have a feeling that my compression is good on all 3 but my boat is the culprit, it is a heavy deep v, dual console boat, and i have a 50 gal bait tank, gear and a ton of stuff in it. I dont know the dry weight but have a feeling it is at least double what yours is. Currently the axle is off and being replaced (waiting on new one to arrive, bent spindle) i will take it to a scale and verify the dry weight. When i run the boat with just me and nothing else in it i still achieve the same top end plus or minus 3mph but the hole shot is much better and much faster to plane out.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Great. You just justified the sluggish response, so prop accordingly. 50 gallons of water is 350# you know so that's like having a couple of extra male passengers of medium build. It's easy to add a bunch of weight with gear, gas and all, a full cooler of beer, er ah soda pop could run you 100# and weight is your enemy from a performance standpoint. As far as the WOT being similar, I'd say that would have to do with your hull efficiency which seems to be very good.

Compression testing is ok, but only half the test. All three have to be sparking too.

Mark