Diesel Vetus M3.10 Stuck

Eliasarmatas

Cadet
Dear All,
i would like to share my engine problem with you incase somebody can give me a help.
I have a Diesel engine Vetus M3.10 / M 4.14, approx. 20 years old.
My first problem was that the engine would not start . The ignision was turning but no start. I took it to an engineer, who said changed springs in the core engine, the refrigerator , and some other parts. This story cost me approx. 3000 E.
When he gave it back to me it was working ok for a couple of months. Then i did not start it for 1 month, and when i tried to start it it would not turn at all. It seems that the pistons are stuck and the engine does not turn at all. I tried very hard to turn it but nothing. I asked the engineer and he said that he should open the engine again. But i canot affort to pay another 3000 E. So as a last chance before i throw it away, i wanted to try my chance with you. Any idea what i could do? Should i open it myself?
Any ideas are welcomed.

thank you
Elias

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Diesel Vetus M3.10 Stuck

First thing that comes to mind is a hydrolock.

Try pulling all the injectors and see if the engine turns over then.

Eliasarmatas

Cadet

As i am not familiar with techical terms, what is hydrolock? What are the injectors? I will go to check . Thanks . Elias

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Well, if you don't want to pay the professionals to do it, then you're going to have to start reading and start learning.

These forums are mainly for DIY'ers who already have some mechanical background to help one another work through problems related to their engines and drives.

If you don't know how a diesel engine works, or what hydro locking is than you're only two options are to learn, or to pay the professionals.

Sorry.

go google hydrolock.

basically it means that there could be fuel in the cylinders and because the fuel is a liquid and a liquid cannot be compressed, it may be what is causing you're "jam". removing the injectors and trying to manually turn the engine will reveal if it is hydro locked or not.

having said that, it was a shot in the dark on my behalf. quite frankly you've given very little information and it could be caused by any number of things.

Eliasarmatas

Cadet

I checked with my brother who is at the boat now, and he said he had removed the fuel injectors , and tried to turn it but no success. Actually he put all his weight trying to turn it but nothing. I hope he did not do extra damage to the pistons or anything else.
I also did my first study through internet now and i have a better understanding of how this works.
Any other idea what it might be , if it is not hydrolock?
thanks

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

have you tried un-coupling it from whatever it's coupled to? (drive)

you need to figure out if it's the MOTOR that's stuck or the drive that's stuck.

If the engine was sitting for a while, was it flogged before? you're pistons may be rusted in cylinders.

Eliasarmatas

Cadet

HI
i think the problem is in the engine. It is not couple to anything now.
1 month since the last use, was in the boat in the sea. Is it reasonable to get rusty in 1 month?
If we open up the engine to check the cylinders and the pistons, and if they are rusty , do you think we will be able to clean them? Anything else you would propose to do before we open it up?
We opened the injections and put oil spray in them already but no result.

i dont know was flogging means, but my brother who worked this engine, did not do anything special. Just turn it off and left it there i think.

thanks
Elias

Bondo

Staff member

If we open up the engine to check the cylinders and the pistons, and if they are rusty , do you think we will be able to clean them? Anything else you would propose to do before we open it up?
We opened the injections and put oil spray in them already but no result.

Ayuh,... You might as well Pull it,+ tear it down,....

If it's rusted internally,... Rebuilding it Might bring it back to life,...
I rather Doubt it could just be cleaned up,+ run...

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With the injectors out make a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone,pour this into the cylinders so that it covers the top of the pistons and let it soak for a day or to.then try turning the engine back and forth by hand.Hope this helps,Ted

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys, by no means do I have any real experience with marine diesels, and my "rusted pistons due to not being flogged" theory was just the first thing that came to mind.

but.

Wouldn't diesels inherently be more resistant to piston/cylinder rusting because diesel is so oily, and the pistons themselves likely have a coating of diesel fuel on them just from normal running?

he said it only sat for 1 month.... I can't really picture a diesel rusting in that time.

Now that you've got the injectors out, see if you can get one of those diagnostic camera tools, and send the camera in through the opening.... I don't know what you're pre-combustion chamber situation is, but if you can, you want to use the camera to get a good close look at the cylinder walls and the pistons....

If you see rust, then you've likely found you're problem. if you DON'T see rust, than I have no idea....