Buying 26-30 boat

Troy D

Recruit
Hello,
My wife and I have begun our search for boats, at this time we're gathering information. We have targetd several boat lines between the 26-30' range, more targeted to 28'. We are local to the Chesapeake Bay and we will be crusing out into the bay most of the time. Our questions are more to do with accesories and single or twin engines as well as maintenace.

The boats we are looking at include: Rinker,Monterey,Sea Ray, Regal and Chapparel. Any, thoughs?

The boat will be used mostly for over night and weekend trips along the bay.

We figure we will lodging in the coves more often than tying up to docks, so we believe A/C with genarator is a must, any thoughs ??

Also what are the main accesories, needed on a boat this size and is shore power included as standard options for boats this size ??

We'll post other thoughts as the reviews come in. Thanks.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Buying 26-30 boat

...and lets not forget some training/certification for both of you. There are no "passengers" on a small boat.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

First, WELCOME to iboats! What part of the Bay is your 'homeport'?
I'm as far north as you can be and still get wet....

The boats we are looking at include: Rinker,Monterey,Sea Ray, Regal and Chapparel. Any, thoughts?
All are OK but IMO the Monterey is probably put together best. If you're looking at used boats a marine survey is a MUST. Your insurance company will require one anyway so you should get it before handing over the green.
Engines last longer if they're fresh water cooled. Definitely worth the extra moola.

The boat will be used mostly for over night and weekend trips along the bay.
We figure we will lodging in the coves more often than tying up to docks, so we believe A/C with genarator is a must, any thoughts ??
There are plenty of nights on the Chesapeake that are comfortable without A/C , but....
If you intend to use the A/C while away from the dock, then a generator is required. A built-in genny will add significantly to the cost of the boat, but it's worth it for two reasons- convienience and resale. Oh yeah, a proper marine generator is SAFER, too!
While we're on the subject of generators, I recommend you buy a boat with a genny already installed because they are complicated and expensive to do later. I know because I installed a Kohler in my boat 3 years ago.

Also what are the main accesories, needed on a boat this size and is shore power included as standard options for boats this size ??
'Standard Options'? Is that like 'Military Intellegence'? :D

Yes, with a new boat shore power should be standard. If it isn't, then get it! a single 30 amp inlet would be enough.
Off the top of my head:
PFD's for all, bilge pump(s), VHF radio with antenna, horn, fenders, lines, 2 anchors, flares, first aid kit, CO detector, gas fume detector, hand tools, spare parts, yada, yada, yada......
You should also get a second (or third) battery with switches so they can be cross-connected.
A marine battery charger is a must if you want to keep the batteries charged when not in use.

None of these are 'needed' but will make your boating experience much better.
- a proper marine head with shower (H and C)
- a galley (kitchen) with fridge
- BBQ grill with mount
- an automatic anchor windlass
- full camper canvas with screens
- swim platform with boarding ladder
- a good stereo
- TV- especially if you've got little ones

I'm SURE others will add to the list!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

We trailer a 270 sundancer, 10 feet on the beam, being that wide, it adds to the comfort factor if you get stuck inside.

Troy D

Recruit

Thank you all for the great advice. We are still up in the air about twin v single engine. But, we certainly understand the thought of not being stranded on the water. We intend to get that marine insurance.

We both intend on taking the coastguard corses. Wifey thinks she's taking the boat out with the girls, we won't be having them on a sand bar now will we.

Arks, were not to far below you in the abingdon area, actualy monterey and rinker are our first choice, thank for the info.

We do intend to keep the boat in the water, so we can just boogy down to the dock and have a night.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that size boat needs twins, even diesel. Seatow and Towboat, can be on another call and be hours before they get to you. also check and see which has the best coverage in your boating area.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

arks reply is on the money

FWC twins-& genset
I can't remember a boat like your looking for with out shore power and most will be well equiped.

Survey & insurance are part of the pkg.

it is a buyers market on used boats --be sure to get exactly what you want:cool:
-Joe

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, from what I've seen, people don't usually have generators on boats smaller than 28', so finding a 26-27' model with one would be tough. I'd want every foot I had available if there were ever going to be more than two people on board for 2-3 days. You may find some 27' boats with 10' beam, but most are 29-30' models that have that wide of a beam. You also will be subject to DOT transport issues when trailering a 10' wide boat.

I would go with twin engines for a few reasons. It will handle better, make docking easier, and track much better. You will also probably use about the same amount of gas with two 5.7L at cruise as you would with a 7.4L or larger lugging along. The only downside is slightly higher maint. costs.

I would personally want a full canvas on the boat, too. That way you can keep out the bugs for the most part, and if it gets chilly the enclused canvas makes for a lot more usable space on the boat.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a Monterey 276. It has a single I/O with dual prop. While twins are nice - for what it sounds like you will be doing it doesn't sound necessary. I would look at this model Monterey as most have genny's a/c, full head ,tall head room in the cabin and 9 1/2 beam. My wife and I take our two kids out for sleepovers and day trips and are very satisfied.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Something nobody brought up, but is certainly often overlooked, is the fuel cost associated with ?cruising?.
People loose site as to how big the Bay really is. Going from one town to the other can very easily involve burning 50-60 gallons of fuel at a time.

My best friend has a house on the Eastern shore.. A couple times a year we take the boat over to his house to avoid the summer traffic on the Bay Bridges. While I could see his house from the slip, if the haze wasn?t so bad, I can easily burn 20 gallons of fuel running over there and back. If it gets rough, like it usually does in the summer, even more. A trip from Annapolis to St. Michaels can easily run me 40 gallons of fuel depending on the conditions and this is with a 22? boat with a single outboard.

haulnazz15

Captain

Most of the boats I've seen in the 26-28 range have a fuel tank of 80 gallons or better. Many with 100 gallons of fuel on the twin models. Fuel probably won't be an issue unless you decide you want to cross the bay without having the tanks topped off.