1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

see there was your problem... everyone knows you use an oak for this kind of job.

looks good jay

now you need to clean that metal up

good luck

Gosh, oak! I knew it! Live and learn I guess. Cheers man!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

By the way, that corrosion on the transom was nuttin - most of it just wiped away with my bare hand. Great!

Another side note...
I know my neighbor thinks I am a nut job as he is watching me do all this. My wife thinks I am a real weirdo, shoot, you guys probably even probably think I've lost my marbles. Well, my kids think I'm pretty fun so that's cool!:D

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

By the way, that corrosion on the transom was nuttin - most of it just wiped away with my bare hand. Great!

that's great jay

all your work looks awesome

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another side note...
I know my neighbor thinks I am a nut job as he is watching me do all this. My wife thinks I am a real weirdo, shoot, you guys probably even probably think I've lost my marbles. Well, my kids think I'm pretty fun so that's cool!:D

I don't see a problem with anything you are doing. God put those trees there for a reason!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice maneuver and very resourceful on the old trailer switch operation:)

It was a much larger-scale version of when I switch trailers for my 12 footer, I can lean that against a tiny maple sapling in my yard:D

What kind of shape are both trailers in, both pretty good condition?

North Beach

Commander

Jay, I'm impressed! You Mcguyvered the heck outa that trailer switch!!!!!

sprintst

Commander

Now that was some planning. I'm sure when you planted those oaks you were thing they would make a great hoist one day. :)

Awesome work. My trees need another twenty years.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice maneuver and very resourceful on the old trailer switch operation:)

It was a much larger-scale version of when I switch trailers for my 12 footer, I can lean that against a tiny maple sapling in my yard:D

What kind of shape are both trailers in, both pretty good condition?

Thanks man!

The tandem has a solid frame but everything else will need to be repaired/replaced/repainted, way more work and $ than the single.

The Continental has two brand new tires that I had to put on to get Thumper home, so that is already done. The frame is awesome! It's rated at 3250# and I'll be way under that. Lights will likely need to be rewired, one wheel bolt replaced, wood steps replaced, bunks replaced, everything painted, no biggie, all the normal stuff. I'll need to do a couple of mods on it to fit the Islander just right. Check it out...
P1010046.jpg

For the length I am about 2.5' too short. The shot above shows about 1.5' and I have about another 1' at the crank. At this point I am thinking that I am going to add a 2.5' piece of square tubing to the tongue. I won't necessarily use all of that as I plan on adding 6" to 12"ish brackets to the bunk supports off the back. That way I have some flexibility to move the boat fore and aft to get the weight set on the trailer just right.

As for the bunks...
P1010043.jpg

They landed perfectly on this hull, sweet! I'll need to change the height though. I'll either add to the inner ones or cut down the outer ones as there is a difference of about 3". I am leaning towards cutting down the outer bunk supports but I'll need to stare at it some more before I decide for sure. Two benefits to cutting them down - first would be that the boat rides a little lower which is good, second, the inside of the wheel wells are carpeted and can act as bumpers to get er' lined up correctly if I am off a bit, cool!

I suppose a third option might be to remove the inner supports all together and add keel rollers, hmmm, we'll see.

Happy Sunday Fellas!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Now that was some planning. I'm sure when you planted those oaks you were thing they would make a great hoist one day. :)

Awesome work. My trees need another twenty years.

Thanks man! Actually, we just bought this place in 07' so the original developer did a nice job saving some of these big trees. There is a mammoth twin white pine at the front of my place that they actually diverted the road in order to save. I'd guess she's probably 120' tall and 100ish years old. I also have some giant old oaks around here, love em! Cheers!

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice job so far! Your really working pretty solid through it all. I have an 82 Islander with 150hp OB. I'm gonna keep my eyes on this project. Good idea on the transom pull. It makes me wish I had a tree in my yard.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Jason,

My first time checking out this thread,

Cool boat! She's gonna move with the 4.3 you scored!

I'm looking forward to your progress...

bananaboater

Ensign

I just love seeing how we come up with ingenious ways to not spend money and still get the job done. :)

Albert

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Jason,

My first time checking out this thread,

Cool boat! She's gonna move with the 4.3 you scored!

I'm looking forward to your progress...

Thanks man! Oh how I long for the day when I hear that V6 come to life!:p

Very nice job so far! Your really working pretty solid through it all. I have an 82 Islander with 150hp OB. I'm gonna keep my eyes on this project. Good idea on the transom pull. It makes me wish I had a tree in my yard.

Trees = Good Thing:D

I just love seeing how we come up with ingenious ways to not spend money and still get the job done. :)

Albert

Thanks a bunch bannana! That is a huge compliment to me as I really try hard to do quality work on a shoe string. I don't mind spending money when I have to but I'll fight tooth and nail to get to that point. Cheers man!:)

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

You rock dude. I've taken the opposite approach, spend money and exert zero physically.:p

With the warm weather I have targeted next weekend for my tarp removal and evaluation ceremony. You made a great choice in Thumper. The 4.3 donor will do you right. I can't wait to see her done. It will be a real beauty.

There is one problem, you have changed your kids forever. They will scour old junkyards and Craigslist for vintage boats, cars, and trucks. My Dad had this boat and I just loved it, where can I................... Yep changed them forever. For the better I say.

Looks good.
Don

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You rock dude. I've taken the opposite approach, spend money and exert zero physically.:p

With the warm weather I have targeted next weekend for my tarp removal and evaluation ceremony. You made a great choice in Thumper. The 4.3 donor will do you right. I can't wait to see her done. It will be a real beauty.

There is one problem, you have changed your kids forever. They will scour old junkyards and Craigslist for vintage boats, cars, and trucks. My Dad had this boat and I just loved it, where can I................... Yep changed them forever. For the better I say.

Looks good.
Don

Thanks Don! Appreciate the encouragement man!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Today was another super nice day, absolutely beautiful! Added to yesterday, any symptoms of cabin fever are completely gone!

I only had a little time on the boat today. I ended up getting a few small things done and one big one.

I torched, scraped and sanded all the junk off the old OMC hole...
P1010064.jpg

I am hoping to have this boat cleaned out a little more and then take it over to my local fab/welder guy and get this thing closed up. Maybe this week? That would be cool. I also pulled off the bow hardware (cleats, horn, rails) that was tarped up just a week ago.

I also took out the boards that were in the bottom of the cabin storage boxes...
P1010055.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010059.jpg

The bow box was a total mess under there while the port/starbord were pretty clean.

On to the big job...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This was a grunt...

So the wood in the stingers, yup, I couldn't just leave them but I knew they were going to be a bear to get out...
P1010061.jpg

I first drilled a hole in the end and attached an eye bolt. Then, I hooked up a length of chain to it and on the other end I hung my heavy hammer...
P1010062.jpg

...then started swinging! It moved, a little at a time. About 8 swings in I broke this eye bolt. I screwed another one in and about 8 swings into that one, it busted too. By then I had just enough room to screw in a 2x4 and start pounding on that...
P1010063.jpg

I went threw a whole lot of 2x4s! In the end, that stringer finally decided to give up...
P1010065.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

It came out and the two plywood pieces ended up coming apart. They were soaking wet and as you can see some rot had started to set in. Really, I was thinking that they would be looking way worse. This must have been marine grade. I was thinking that I'd just do the one and come back tomorrow to do the other. But, my stubbornness and pride issues took over and I took a run at the other. Same process but this one came out just a little bit easier.

At one point as I was full force swinging, the S hook came off without me noticing and the heavy hammer smashed right square into the middle of my shin bone. After about 5 minutes of shuddering in pain I made the decision that it didn't hurt anymore and carried on with my work. Although, I did decide to stand on the "upstream" side of my swing rather than the down. Smart eh! There is using the old noodle! A few minutes later the stringer was out.

That was a heck of a job getting those brutes out but I am really glad I put in the effort. I can rebuild them and they should be good for another 34 years, eh! Hmph, that right shoulder muscle will feel it tomorrow (shin too).

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Regarding the noodle thread...

LOL that's an old Starcraft trick:D

Another shade-tree boat builders trick is to use a bunch of pop(soda to you folks outside of Michigan) bottles for flotation...just make sure you screw the caps on first;)

OK, so I have been stewing on this for a bit. I love the idea but we don't drink nearly enough soda around my place and we take our water straight from the tap. I know, crazy right! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I could substitute that would be in good quantity and, of course, free.

I was thinking milk jugs but I'm concerned that the material is a little thin and may end up rubbing through if it was in contact with a rivet or something.

Then it hit me! Laundry soap and bleach containers!! Duh! I have a family of five and we go through that stuff like crazy! Man, I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Probably because I was dropped as a baby and ate paint chips through my wonder years.

Now, I despise rattles so I'll likely mix in some noodles or pipe insulation and compress the whole thing a little with the deck in an effort to keep the noise to a minimum. I really hate rattles so I may back out of this idea and go straight up noodles. We'll see, eh!