'84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint SPLASHED

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: '84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint

I just can't decide on the stripe Arch. I'm really runnin out of time at this point. I may just remove the pinstriping and paint the new red over the brown and keep the current design. I don't know if it's worth it to totally change the paint. If I get into that now, I may not get the thing done in time to play. But I have to do something because the upholstery is going have a lot of red in it. By the way, I'm ordering captains chairs from that company you recommended, their prices are much better than any of the others I looked at.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad I could help. I kind of feel bad, I ordered a ton of samples from them and never bought anything! Guess recommending them might have made up for it!

Have you thought about having two colors of red? You could paint over the brown, then maybe have a second strip to break it up? You could even have someone make the second stripe out of vinyl like Skibum.

BigBoatinOkie

I haven't thought of that actually. Not a bad idea. I might run up to that place you mentioned in Norman, B&H I think, and see if I can come up with a cool color scheme. If I get the courage, I might try doing some metal flake.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That bench is great. You'll love having all that area around the engine to work if you ever need it instead of having stuff crammed all around it.

BigBoatinOkie

I got my sun deck built today. I also had to modify the bench seat back because I forgot to match the curvature of the boat. Everything takes twice as long to build because nothing's square and everything is curved!:mad: Nevertheless, I've just about got the major construction out of the way I think. Here are a few pics. Tomorrow I will get some more detailed pics that show how everything is constructed for those who need ideas in the future. Anywho, time for supper!!!:D

100_1405.jpg

Pardon the fuzzyness. Looks like it focused on the windshield.

100_1406.jpg

You can kinda see the curvature here. The sun deck looks crooked in the pic, but I assure you it's not.

100_1407.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It looks even better curved.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks really nice! Who is doing the upholstery? What colors are you going with? I think you said it was red? Which seats did you order from Veada?

BigBoatinOkie

I don't have anybody lined up to do the upholstery yet. There a couple people nearby who do it and they would probably be cheaper than anyone in OKC. Arch, let me know if you have any suggestions for upholstery shops. Below is a pic of the seats I'm ordering from Vaeda. The colors will be French Vanilla(almond) and Reuben(crimson). I think I will order all of the vinyl from them so it will all match perfectly then let someone else sew it up.

boatseat.png

100 Series Helm Seat from Vaeda.com

By the way, thanks for the compliments Ezmobee. Means a lot coming from an admiral. :)

BigBoatinOkie

I whipped up a rendering of what I had in mind for upholstery. Not exactly but something like this.

upholstery.jpg

Or maybe with some Wellcraft logos.
upholstery-1.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks good. The guys I'm using are good, but not exactly cheap. If you have someone local down there that does good work I would go with them. My guys just do boats and are backlogged anyhow....I bet they are backed up till July now. Just a suggestion, I'm not too sure about the stripes on the side panels. Have you looked at just making them solid?

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You sir are my hero. This is exactly what I want to do to my boat. Now that I have seen pics of someone doing it I can get ideas together.

BigBoatinOkie

Just a suggestion, I'm not too sure about the stripes on the side panels. Have you looked at just making them solid?

I think it would look awfully bland without some sort of graphic on the panels. Don't know if I'll do stripes, but seems like it would need something. On the other hand, I don't want it to look to busy. I'm not dead set on racing stripes on the back end either. I'd really like to see what some others have done, but I don't attract too many folks on this thread. I'm shooting for sleek and simple.

You sir are my hero. This is exactly what I want to do to my boat. Now that I have seen pics of someone doing it I can get ideas together.

Thanks man. Never been a hero before. :) You talking about the upholstery or the overall design? If it's the design you like, I can get some more detailed pics for you if it would help.

MrsBoatinOkie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow :eek: I had to log on here to see your ideas, you didn't say a word before!! I like the racing stripes idea too!

Thanks man. Never been a hero before. :) QUOTE]

Awww don't say that.. I know of 2 nieces and 2 nephews that think you are super Captain NuNu!! :D

Anyways see you after work love you!

brezmer

Cadet

looking good...
my advise on the interior work it break up the design a little. i was going to do the same but my upholstry guy talked me out of it... this is what he came up with

now027.jpg

now025.jpg

now026.jpg

BigBoatinOkie

Thanks Brezmer for the pics and advice. I probably need a third or accent color in there, but I don't know what it should be. Whatever it ends up being, I guess I should use it for the pinstriping on the hull as well. This is where my lack of imagination shows it's ugly face. I'm very much open to suggestions.

I see my wife, MrsBoatinOkie, dropped by for a visit. Haha, she's right. My little neices and nephews call me Captain NuNu since I bought the boat. Don't ask me where they came up with that. Kids say the darndest things. Don't tell em I'm just a Petty Officer 1st Class.

So today I just worked some more on the bench and sundeck/enine hatch. Before, I just kinda screwed everything together good enough not to fall apart so I could make sure everything fit right. I spent today taking everything apart and putting it back together with wood glue and more screws. I also added a few more pieces here and there to make sure it's all plenty strong. I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out. The best part is, it's much lighter than the previous design. Using 1/2 inch wood rather than 3/4 saved gobs of weight. It's all quite strong if you reinforce it in the right spots. I'm posting some more pics that show the what's underneath just in case somebody's interested. Pardon the wordy post.

000_0027.jpg

000_0026.jpg

000_0028.jpg

000_0029.jpg

000_0030.jpg

000_0031.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks really nice! I know that feeling, put it together, take it apart.....:D

ltjag101

Seaman Apprentice

simply amazing i like the stripes but to keep it simple and clean i am puting one stripe up the middle with pinstripe on either side in my 82 celebrity should be very clean and simple i like your project keep at it and ul be boating in no time i am just starting the tear down proces in mine i know wrong time of year but deck is gone

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks man. Never been a hero before. You talking about the upholstery or the overall design? If it's the design you like, I can get some more detailed pics for you if it would help.[/QUOTE

I was talking about the construction itself. I would love to see more pics of it. I plan to tear mine down and do it after this season is over. I am do not like the jump seat dog house look on it. That and the wife wants a bigger tanning bed.

BigBoatinOkie

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the jumpseats and doghouse style myself. On the other hand, the thing I don't like about the padded sundeck is that it gets walked on a lot. It'll probably take a lot of cleaning to keep it looking nice. If my wife didn't want it padded for sunbathing, I probably would've fiberglassed it and just paint on the graphics to match the upholstery with some non-skid additive. Less maintenance that way. Anywho, I've just started a week of night shift so there probably won't be any progress made for several days since I'll be sleeping all day. Sorry. Got to make that money.

BigBoatinOkie

What do yall think of this design for the upholstery? I think it would look pretty cool. Looks like I have too much time on my hands at work. :rolleyes:

Boatinterior.jpg