Any input on Humminbird Fishin' buddy140?

Socal Pat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 14' boat gets hauled up on shore so I'd like to get a portable fishfinder. This guy also has side imaging capability or so they say. Anyone see this thing in action? Whaddya think?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Any input on Humminbird Fishin' buddy140?

I had a Fishin Buddy years ago on a little fishing boat and it was fine for trolling, but not good for high speed running, too much resistance in the water. After owning one, I don't think I'd buy another.

Socal Pat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So IF I were only using it for slow trolling and fish finding on my small local lakes it would be ok? I'm also interested in the value and/or capability of the side imaging feature.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own that unit for my 12' Porta Bote. I was skeptical, but it's a fine little unit. One of my first outings with it was in very clear conditions with 20' visablity. When I pass over a fallen tree or rocks they showed up with a noticable difference, so I was able to get a better feel for what the unit was telling me with 1' visability or less. To add to my confidence in it, I added sonar function to a GPS unit I have, so I have two units on my one little boat and they confirm each others readings. The side finder works well too and I have confirmed it's not just randomly giving me a show to give me hope that there really is fish out there. The sidefinder does not show detail, just fish (or objects) as a fish icon. It's not bad, but you have to use it wisely. It's not meant for high speed, it's meant for low speed or no speed.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Consider a portable FF with a suction cup transducer will let place the display anywhere you want in the boat. As long as you have some smooth surface on the transom, they hold well upto 20-30mph. In the long run, I think it will be more versitile for you.