Boat you miss the most?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Today I sold my 1973 bayliner super tahiti, It has been a 2 year project i had just completed, and Now she is gone. I will miss her.

What boat have you owned that you miss the most?

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat you miss the most?

I miss my current boat Monday through Friday of each week!! We re-connect on the weekend tho!

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

The one I didn't buy in 1993. my wife at the time said absolutely not and now we're divorced. Probably for the best though, I was lucky to grt out of that with a clean pair of underwear.:eek:it would be hers now, too bad she didn't let me get it.:D

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not that I am unhappy with my current boat (Bayliner 2452) but about 15 years ago I had a 1973 16 ft Sangster Craft with a 80 horse merc, what a hoot. that thing would do close to 50 mph. surprisingly it is still going strong, a young feller owns it now and uses it for skiing and tubing :)

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

This was my dads boat 2004 sealine f33 ,He died last year and did not leave a will so step mom got it who hates boat's and sold it for ?50.000 to get rid of it.Myself and my brother were sick.The day he died I was helping him change the bellows on the outdrive "The first time he ever asked me for help"and it was a great bonding time for us,This is the last thing he wrote in his logbook "I am FERGAL" He died 2 hours later from a fall cleaning windows.Hope you can read this and see what a logbook can mean.
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/log book/008-1.jpg
This is worth more to me than any boat.
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/Off skerries/010-1-1.jpg

EDIT: Please resize those pix. Thanks, JB

Last edited by a moderator:

cbavier

Lieutenant

I miss my 20 ft pontoon. It wasn't much but it sure worked good for us when we lived on a lake.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My beautiful late 80s Malibu Skier. The family sold it to help pay for my college. One of you guys in the Lake Lanier area have my old boat!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Growing up, my parents had a mid sixties vintage, 27 foot, Grady White Catalina sedan bridge. I still miss it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Mine was a 17 foot Renken with a Merc 90.
That thing would fly and never gave me a minutes problem.
Was just the perfect size to fish from or pull tubes around the lake.

I got divorced in 99 and it had to be sold...:(

I am pretty happy with my current rig though..:D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sunshine III, my 1981 Boston Whaler Montauk.

Ryanwhaler has her now.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A 1965 Glastron Ski Flite 14' with an Evinrude Ski Twin 33 was one of the three boats I enjoyed as I grew up. Looking back, I can't say it was real fast, but it was durable and sure was fun. It was in pretty bad shape when we got rid of it after about 35 years, but sometimes I still find myself pining after it.

65glastron-264.jpg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey lakelover - as a young kid my parents had a 33 Rude on a very similar boat - an Arkansas Traveler. That boat was resonsible for my love of boating. I can still hear the smooth hum of that great motor. My parents say I was aboard from six weeks of age. When I was a little bigger they set up a little crib in the back and, apparently, I just loved to throw my toys overboard to see them bobbing in the wake.

The other boat I miss is the mid-eighties vintage Chris Craft cruiser my dad had later in his boating career. A 25 footer, it was a perfect size for weekending around the lake and he and I had some really good times on her. He sold it during his second divorce (he was a better seaman than family man I guess....) and we haven't spent much quality time together since...

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

If i was frozen in, locked in my house because it's 10 degrees...

The boat I'd miss the most would be the one in the garage.

As it is living in South Florida, we took her out New Years day for lunch at a local restaurant. Cool at 60 degrees but a very nice little backwater cruise.

Triton II

Commander

I used to crew (forward hand) a 505 racing dinghy - she was fast and handled the rough stuff well and was easy enough to sail. I miss the thrill of being out on the trapeze reaching at 20 kts overtaking power boats with the kite up and my head two inches off the water. I also miss being fit enough to sail her but I don't miss the constant bills for new gear - she was an expensive little thing, bit like the missus! :D

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

1970 16' Century Resorter

My dad had one when I was a kid growing up. Very few were made that year as it was a transitional period when Century stopped making the Cheetah and began making the 16' Resorter in glass. I loved that boat.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Hey lakelover - as a young kid my parents had a 33 Rude on a very similar boat - an Arkansas Traveler. That boat was resonsible for my love of boating. I can still hear the smooth hum of that great motor.

I've noticed how some of the Arkansas Travelers look very similar to Glastrons. That motor had a distinctive roar at about half throttle, that said "c'mon, I've got more to give", then would smooth out to a nice hum at full throttle. I always tried to talk my dad into getting a 50 for it, but that was a fun little motor.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

When we were kids, we had a yellow and black Glastron GT 160 with a Johnson 125. Boy, I loved that boat. It was sleek and fast and definitely a head turner. My dad was a cop and told everyone that just a picture of it held in front of his radar registered 50 mph. My dad sold it before my brother and I were old enough to take it out by ourselves (smart guy) and bought us a fish and ski 16 foot Cane cutter with a 70 'rude.

theboat029-2.jpg

Not sure whose boat this is, but ours looked identical (except for the Merc).

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Back in the 70s I went to a summer camp on Skaneateles lake. They had a beautiful wooden Chris Craft inboard they took us for rides in. It was my first time on a boat and I loved it. I remember them having to prop the engine hatch up everytime they started it and took us out at a speed that scared the crap out of most kids. Not me, I wanted to go faster! I was only 10 and don't know the model it was, but things I remember like yesterday was the big Chris Craft logo and it had a small block Ford in it. It also had some thru hull exhaust because it sounded mean. I am sure that boat is worth a mint today.

Those were the days of not using life jackets and taking kids out in it with an inop blower, something they could never do today. It did get me hooked into boats.​