Good used mid size SUV with V8 for under $8k

bear_69cuda

Commander
Hi Gang,

If my Xterra had a V8 I wouldn't even be looking. It seems to handle my Hurricane just fine, but is way under powered, and my boat/trailer combo is greater than 70% of max towing capacity of 5000lbs.

If I had room in my garage I would be looking at a used Suburban, or Expedition. But the full size SUV's just aren't gonna fit.

My boat wet with trailer and gear weighs in at 4182 lbs.

I've been reading posts on Durangos (1998-2003) and seem like they get mixed reviews... Tranny issues being a big concern. I do like the fact they offer a 5.9 L V8. And with factory towing package 3.92:1 gear, tranny cooler, and such, this would be a good option. One that is listed local with 109k, is listed at $6990, but I think I could talk them down a bit.

Also been looking at Ford Explorers with 5.0 L same year and price ranges. I've not heard of many issues with these vehicles.

I wouldn't be opposed to a short bed truck either (F150?), just prefer an SUV.

Anyone have other ideas or opinions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Happy New Year!

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Good used mid size SUV with V8 for under $8k

Are you saying that the xterra handles the boat fine? Then why look? What do you mean by underpowered? Does the vehicle seem like it's really bogging down. Or is it because you are above the 70% marke. I'm not sure where you are getting the 70% of tow rating, but it's to my understanding that the maximum tow rating is what it is and you can tow up to that point without issue. Based on your numbers you are less than 85% of the tow rating. As long as the trailer has brakes, I would imagine that towing that rig would be just fine.

mikeroche

Seaman Apprentice

i pull my gradywhite overnighter with my f-150 no problem,if you like your truck,try looking at a tandem trailer..just a thought

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

if you really want a Drango(not sure why you would) you should be able to get one way cheaper than what you are seeing.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/12/ca...tyle-vehicles-autos-depreciation_slide_2.html

Personally, I would get a later model Tahoe if the Suburban is too big. Stay away from any Tahoe 1999 or older.

Got to agree on the Durango....they had tons of tranny problems.
My sister had one that was always in the shop with only 60k on the truck.

I love my 99 Tahoe....:p

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

4200lbs on a single axle.. wow.... my boat is 3400lbs and i think its too much for a single..

anyways, i would get a chevy tahoe any year.... or a chevy trailblazer with the 5.3l v8

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Tahoe, Trailblazer would be my choices.
Not a Durango though. Buddy of mine tows a 22ft house trailer with his and hates it for the issues it has given him. Mainly tranny !!

Philster

Captain

Durango: Weak links are trans and brakes. I had a Dakota, which is basically a Durango in pickup (Quad Cab) format, and it could barely stop itself.

Power-wise, she is fine. She pulled with the 4.7 V8 almost as good as the old-tech 5.9 iron dog in other Dodge trucks.

The tranny works well, but I cannot tell you how many mechanics tell me about their very short life when spent doing serious (but not overloaded) trailer work. Sure enough, my buddy dropped his Durango trans on the boat ramp.

New Dakotas and Durangos out of your price range do have transmissions with much better reputations.

Power is usually not a problem with modern trucks when you match to the tow ratings. I think people forget the most important things, like braking, handling and reliability. With all the gears in modern transmissions, advanced 4WD and though-out tow packages, you can tow, but brakes can fade and parts can have shortened lives.

Manufacturers get their products exposed when real people use them: Durango? Exposed.

Jeep Man

Commander

I admit to some bias, but I would be comfortable with a Grand Cherokee, with a v8 and 7400 lb. tow capacity.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

i
Personally, I would get a later model Tahoe if the Suburban is too big. Stay away from any Tahoe 1999 or older.
I prefer my 1999 Tahoe to a newer version. It has a real transmission and a real 350 Chevy V8.

I do not have much faith in the newer versions that run around with one front parking light burned out all the time.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I prefer my 1999 Tahoe to a newer version. It has a real transmission and a real 350 Chevy V8.

I do not have much faith in the newer versions that run around with one front parking light burned out all the time.

werd

bear_69cuda

Commander

bear_69cuda

Commander

Are you saying that the xterra handles the boat fine? Then why look? What do you mean by underpowered? Does the vehicle seem like it's really bogging down. Or is it because you are above the 70% marke. I'm not sure where you are getting the 70% of tow rating, but it's to my understanding that the maximum tow rating is what it is and you can tow up to that point without issue. Based on your numbers you are less than 85% of the tow rating. As long as the trailer has brakes, I would imagine that towing that rig would be just fine.

Trailer has brakes, but the Xterra is working WAY to hard towing this boat... It struggled with my Bayliner... Xterra is about 170 HP I think. It's a great SUV, but a dog towing the Hurricane.

bear_69cuda

Commander

4200lbs on a single axle.. wow.... my boat is 3400lbs and i think its too much for a single..

anyways, i would get a chevy tahoe any year.... or a chevy trailblazer with the 5.3l v8

Thanks I'll also look into Trailblazer's. My trailer is a spec built Eagle for my exact boat. I questioned this but was assured by Eagle it's what they make for my boat. My boat wet is 3377 lbs with gear. My trailer is 823 = 4200 total weight.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I admit to some bias, but I would be comfortable with a Grand Cherokee, with a v8 and 7400 lb. tow capacity.

Would this have the same Mopar drive train as the Durango?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you sure can find alot of grand's for sale on c/l with bad trannys...
tahoe yukon fullsize blazer all the same platform.... nothing in the world wrong with the older ones but the 1996 and up 5.7's are multiport injected and do make killer power.

170 hp should pull that little boat with no problem... are you towing in overdrive? or mountains? Is there maybe something wrong with your vehicle?
It is perfectly normal to notice a lack of performance towing and to have to downshift...... If you still feel that you need to buy a new tow rig then I suggest you take the boat with you on the test drive. You could be mighty disapointed if you get home and hooked up and find that you didn't gain as much as you expected. You could also find that your lightweight nissan is just not geared low enough to effectively tow. Of course none of this has anything specific to boats and you might have good luck researching in other places.

bear_69cuda

Commander

What about the mileage on GM SUV's? Should I be worried if it's over 120-150k, if the compression checks out? Or if well maintained can these hit the +200k marker?

Anyone tow with V8 Explorers?

smokeonthewater,

I tow with overdrive off so the converter is locked, then cruising on flat surface and downhill, turn it back on. I have a aftermarket cooler on tranny, and my Xterra has factory towing package. It just takes forever to get up to 65-70, like on uphill on ramps and such.. I feel bad for the 3.3 V6 high revin all the time...

arks

Lieutenant Commander

you sure can find alot of grand's for sale on c/l with bad trannys....

Maybe he can find a decent one with a new or rebuilt transmission.
My '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 has the stronger 46RE transmission. I had it rebuilt 4 years ago and it's still going strong at 150,000 miles.
I don't tow heavy loads but I'm sure it could handle it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I've had 300,000 on a 91 chevy and 240 on a 94.... mom's 98 ex cab z-71 has 110 and still runs like new.... I borrowed it to haul an 11,000 lb fifth wheel before I had a hitch in my truck and set the cruise on 70 with no problems. of course it would downshift on the slightest hill but at over 100,000 miles it is still very reliable...... obviously it isn't up to regular use on the size of stuff I haul but for what you're looking for it would be overkill

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

NO MOPAR! And I love Jeeps. Durrangos are huge POS's. Sorry but it's true. The Tahoe with a 5.3 would be sufficient to pull just about anything you can fit in a standard road lane. I have a 25' CC Cuddy and have NO issues. Have pulled 2x the max rating with trailer brakes and she still pulls strong granted i was in 4 high. The grand cherokees are okay but they tend to fall apart too. I'd take a 5.3 all day.