1978 merc 115 hp oil leaking

lingcod69

Recruit
I have milky oil coming from my exhaust, can you tell why?
or should I not worry!!

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1978 merc 115 hp oil leaking

I have milky oil coming from my exhaust, can you tell why?
or should I not worry!!
Probably unburned 2-stroke oil from the engine, does it come out between propeller and housing ??
This oil is common on almost all 2-stroke engines, nothing to worry about :)

But just to be sure... you should check the oil in your lower unit, should be clean... if it's milky white it's contaminated with water.

Arne Kjetil

lingcod69

Recruit

No its not coming out the propeller just the top exhaust.
My oil in the lower unit was black,green,little white, Time
to change it! I was trolling and notice water wasn't coming
out strong as normal but when I stop no water was peeing!
Thats when I seen the oil. ( I use my boat as much as I can )
For about a year with no problems. the impeller was replace last year

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Thats when I seen the oil. ( I use my boat as much as I can )
For about a year with no problems. the impeller was replace last year

OK, still it's only unburned 2-stroke oil :), probably build up during trolling..

What type oil and at what ratio do you mix your oil/fuel ?? , maybe time to try a different oil ?

Longer periods of trolling might case a buildup of unburned 2-stroke oil, this buildup might start blocking water to those 2 holes at the back ( solution are to remove the powerhead and clean ).... BUT it's NOT critical for the engine as most of the cooling water are dumped inside the leg ( you still got a steady pee from the hole in the back of the cowl ? ) .

Only problem with totally blocked holes are the engines idle, as it's exhaust has to be pouched out true the propeller, those hole are there to make the engine breath at idle and low rpm.

Arne Kjetil

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Holes near the top of the mid section rear are called "exhaust relief" and their purpose is to allow starting/idle/low speed exhaust gasses to exit into the air rather than be forced out the hub which causes back pressure and works against you in the conditions mentioned.

Agree on source of oil. Agree on using highest quality oil (I use Merc top of the line). Agree on don't worry about it. I used to trim the engine up a few degrees to insure that oil couldn't puddle at the back of the cylinder (where the plug is). For years Merc built a line of small fishing motors built just this way for just that reason......the design included slanting the midsection to the rear which helped the lower unit to slide over submerged objects.

I don't think the '78 had a thermostat so the engine ran cold while trolling and this too contributes to condensation in the exhaust which, when mixed with the oil, makes it chocolate colored.

Usually, after I had trolled for awhile, I would pull in the gear, get up and on plane for a few minutes (until the smoke cleared out of the engine) and then back to trolling.

On the white part of what you found in the lower unit, that (you know) is water. Don't know when was the last time you changed it, but if it was recently, looks like you may have a leak down there. Best to use new blue washers on the screws any time you take them out; cheap insurance.

Mark

lingcod69

Recruit

OK Thanks that makes me feel better. And I have found myself
buying cheaper oil !! I use 50-1 ratio. THANKS AGAIN for all the help:)