Ideal Cruiser ... what do you think?

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need your opinion. What is the ideal cruiser. By that I mean.... a trailerable boat, that you can live on (cook, sleep, etc) and yet cruise on big water (Great Lakes, Chesapeake, Gulf.) I don't fish nor do I go fast nor do I water ski...I cruise. I want to see new places and journey around the next bend in the river. What manufacturer do you like... (I'm partial to Pursuit/Tiara) ...size I think should be 23-25 foot range without needing a specail towing vehicle.... cuddy with two bunks? ..... what do you think... I currently have a 20.5 foot Rinker cuddy that is just fine...yet I'm hesitant to take it from Sandusky to Chicago.... oh, I would, yet I'd like a little more freeboard. And I do my boating solo....so the hull layout must be such that one guy can handle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ideal Cruiser ... what do you think?

even with a 25, you will have to pick you days. weather.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Purely my opinion, but if I were looking for a combination of decent cruising accommodations for one or two, rough water capability and ease of handling solo, I'd be looking at walkaround cuddies.

In the 25' and up models, you can find good cabin room, standup heads and a galley. Open cockpit and walkaround to the bow makes it easy to move around in a hurry when you need to. The better models are designed for offshore use and are about as seaworthy as you can get in that size boat.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I to am partial to the Pursuit/Tiara's. You just can't find a better made boat IMO. There may be equals, but nothing better. Again, that's my opinion. I am sure there are those who may disagree. It's a subjective thing. They are made in Holland MI. Your intended cruising area suggests you are from the region. You should go there and take a tour. You will be impressed.

Tiara does not currently make anything under 30'. It's been many years since they have.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

thee is a thread here some place about 1000 mile trip down the cumberland and back up the tennessee river.
their boat was a 22' center console open boat with a 115 merc 4 stroke.
they got like 5.5 mpg with this setup.
part of the reason for the boat size was if they ran aground it wouldn't be to big to push back off.
providing you can't find it here then google up "Tennessee & Cumberland-River Books & Programs".
this is a plan i have with my 21 starcraft islander 120 i/o.
just as they did i'm planing on running 23 to 25 mph for efficiency.
the trip took them about 2 weeks, jerry hay and his wife.
do it friend, life is a 1 way ticket so get what you can.
just wanted to add i'm no expert on boating but am on dreaming.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

C-Dory 22.

http://www.c-dory.com/boats/classic/cruiser-22/

This basic boat has been in production now for 23+ years. They have been proven to be one of the best boats for cruising some serious water. There are many that I know of that have done the great loop. There are also many that have made the trek from Seattle to Alaska.

As much as I like the Pursuit line of boats, especially the OS 235 and its predecessors, I think the C-Dory would be a better boat for your intentions.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

A Rosborough RF246 sedan cruiser with a pair of outbards, and a covered cockpit with full camper canvas would top my list of boats appropriate for your needs. It would be vastly better suited to extended live-aboard type activities and really nasty weather than a walk around cuddy. They are ruggedly built, economical to operate, easily towed, and require no special permits. They hold their value well too, so if you buy one used, take good care of it, and ever decide to get out of the lifestyle, you can probably get almost all your money back on resale.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your thoughts.... nice topic to mull over on a cold Ohio morning with the temp hovering at 24 degrees. Just looked over my cruising log for last season and I launched on 22 May.... only 5 more months!!!! yea. Thanks for your advice.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If your going to do the launching and landing yourself, I would not go much bigger than you have now.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Another fine choice. However, that gets a little bigger than needed for solo cruising and not as easy to lauch/load as a C-Dory 22.

Good point. I forgot about the solo launching/loading.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I got the C-Dory Venture 23 for just the reasons you mentioned.
Look at both their 22s and 23s. There are some interesting differences.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad I dropped into this thread. I'd never heard of either the C-Dory or Rosborough til now. What terrfic looking boats!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I'm glad I dropped into this thread. I'd never heard of either the C-Dory or Rosborough til now. What terrfic looking boats!

Pick up an issue of Passage Maker magazine some time. They often showcase boats like those, but it's a great technical magazine as well.

Check out Ranger Tugs too.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second the C-dory, but I would go with the 25. Easy enough to single handle, but a little bit more room.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You guys piqued my curiosity, so I went to the C-Dory site. Nice boat, lots of inside room, but In all honesty I don't understand what would make this a good boat for "big water." (Great Lakes, Chesapeake, Gulf)

Shallow draft and deadrise, light weight. Appears to be primarily designed for stability at rest, fuel afficiency and good performance with middling power. Those design criteria are about opposite of what I'd expect in boats where offshore seaworthiness is a goal. Doesn't this boat pound your brains out in rough water?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

C-Dorys are a tried and true design. Do some reading about them and you will hear time and again how well they handle all sorts of situations. All I can say is they have a strong reputation that has been built over the last few decades. I think they are certainly more on the utility end of the sprectrum when compared to more mainstream boats. They are built to handle the waters of the Pacific Northwest. There are many used on the Great Lakes and the east coast also. There is a owners group/forum at www.c-brats.com that is worth a look for any potential buyer. You could spend a good amount of time reading about the journey's some owners have made in their C-Dorys.

bekosh

Lieutenant

You might also check out Ranger Tugs. Pretty similar to the C-dory or Rosborough in concept.
I'm thinking their new R-29 would be the perfect retirment boat for me in about 20 years.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Also Parkers, but I am a little unclear how these boats that are primarily designed with fishing in mind, serve the OPs needs. I would want a more typical walk around or pocket cruiser with quick access to the bow. The large cockpit is my primary issue, seems like a total waste of space for this guy. Yes he's OK with a small cuddy today, but who wouldn't want a little more room below if you plan to overnight?

Edit: Yeah, the Ranger Tug fits the bill better.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

You know, we don't know what the original poster's budget is. All of the boats being discussed can get relatively expensive. Is budget also a concern?