New cable no shift

Erikmac79

Recruit
I hAve a 1976 fifty sizzler on a hustler boat.
I just replace the cables and now it won't go into gear it revs up but won't go into gear. I took the cable lose and after playing it I manually got it to go into gear. I also noticeD a grease fitting above the shifter could that be part of the problem. Also boat shifted into gear before I changed the cables and looks like there going far enough to engage. I'm out of ideas and at the river now on a 5 day trout fishing vacation and my boat won't work so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New cable no shift

disc ur shift cable,and,using shifter at front,shift forward and rear..u should have approx,..1.5 inches of travel,..if u do not,go back into contol box to repair.. these cables u inst,they r new?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Check, then double check that you haven't reversed the throttle/shift cables at the engine, then.................

(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Installing control cables.

1. set controls in neutral and at idle.

2. manually make sure motor is in neutral and at idle.

3. on the motor end of the cable, is a trunion nut (adjustment nut) there is a retainer, on
the motor for the trunion nut remove the clip.

4. without moving anything on the motor, adjust the trunion nut (turning nut) so that
The nut sits in the retainer, and will connect to the motor.

5. connect the cable to the motor, reinstall the retainer clip.

Note: you adjust the cable to the motor, not the motor to the cable.

Erikmac79

Recruit

Yes the cables are brand new. On my motor there are two levers that run off the shift cable I know there right because the first one to move is the shifter. I And when I manually move them it's still stuck in foward could there be another problem than the cables because I changed them because I was only getting foward no reverse but I could adjust the nut and get reverse but no foward.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It is possible that you have 'switched' the cables on the engine.

Disconnect BOTH cables from the motor, watch the cables while your helper moves the control lever to Forward to identify which is the shift cable.

Re-connect the cables and adjust per the advise already posted.

Erikmac79

Recruit

Ok the shifter cable moves first then the throttle if that's the case I've got them right. I can't seem to manually get it into nuetral. It sometimes acts like it's locked in foward then when I start it jumps back to neutral then vice versa won't come out of neutral could anything else be wrong? Can't really see how because before I changed them it would at least go in to foward or reverse depending on the cable adjustment.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Remove the cables (both) from the engine.

With the engine running (or somebody spinning the propeller), shift the engine by hand with the enginer's shift linkage.

If the engine shifts normally via the above method, the problem is within the control box.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I had a bolt loose in my shifter box, it was just a little bit loose but it severely limit the range of motion on my shifter and throttle cables. I got new cables and still had the same problem. It is hard to describe which bolt, but the nut is on the outside of the gear box, it is a small maybe 3/16 bolt, and I had to remove a plastic piece to get to it, it was the bolt that holds my fast idle lever in place. Hope this helps. if you can find a diagram of a control box, I could show you which bolt.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You had to get inside the box to attach the new cable. Apparently you did not reassemble it correctly.