Drive shaft Question - 8HP

regulator23

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 8HP Johnson and pulled the lower unit off to change the impellor. Only the gear shift shaft came out with the lower unit. Should the drive shaft have come off with the lower unit? I think it has to in order to get the new impellor and key installed. I tried gripping it with vice grips and tapping it down, but it doesn't want to budge. I have never had this motor apart and don't want to bust something. Thanks for your thoughts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drive shaft Question - 8HP

yes, the drive shaft should have come out, spray some PB Blaster so it will soak into the shaft and crankshaft, probably rusted together. you will also have to replace the drive shaft seal on the lower unit.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

And in pulling the shaft out of the LU the impeller key has probably damaged the pump housing so the whole caboodle will need replacing.

(Got away with it once when there was just a plastic key fitted!)

regulator23

Seaman Apprentice

Hi. I let it soak, upside down, with PB Blaster yesterday and all night and it still won't budge. I tried heating the shaft a little while ago, hoping that a little swelling might break it free, but also nothing. Besides trying both of these things again, are there any other ideas that anyone has to free the driveshaft?

regulator23

Seaman Apprentice

Also, this is a long shaft motor. I don't know if that makes a difference.