New to boating, what should I look for.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had a couple of jet ski's for awhile now, and I'm really look into getting a boat. Since this will be my first boat I'm not looking into getting something very expensive. I'm wanting a good reliable boat that I will enjoy going to the lake on. It doesn't need to be anything very fast, just reliable. I've been looking into a lot of late 80's early 90's boats, but have recently been interested in some closed bow boats from the 70's. Part of me wants an outboard because I've heard they are easier to an extent, but at this point I'm open to suggestions.

So basically I'm needing help with just about all aspects. I'd really like to know what to look for and what to avoid. Whether it be motor's, boat brands, hull types, and so on and so forth. At this point any insight and information would be great.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to boating, what should I look for.

late 80's Bayliners are known for rot, but there are some nice ones that were properly cared for. 1st boat, i do recommend outboard, does not take up valuable deck space.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also most of the time a "great boat that just needs interior" or "just needs floor replaced" is something to run from... there are boats worth fixing but they aren't the cheap route to the water people tend to think.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm glad you brought up the whole "only needs interior" bit. I actually so a boat locally that said this very thing, looked decent enough on the outside, but said needed interior work and honestly wasn't that much cheaper. Ironically it was a Bayliner, so that makes since they are prone to rot. Anyways I'll answer some more questions to give you guys a better idea.

I really think I'm going to want an outboard. I'm not looking at holding a ton of people, probably 4 or 5 at most. I'd like something that could pull a tube or maybe a wake board, but it's not a huge concern. I mostly am wanting something to just cruise around and enjoy the lake this summer. I'd really like to spend as least amount as possible, but at some point I know you have to set a price. I'd really like to stay under $4,000, prefer to be less than that.

Thanks for the help!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not much too add to what TD and Kevin have suggested. You have to decide based upon what you want to use it for, how much you want to spend up front and then how much you want to spend to fix / upgrade; storage space and operational costs. Good luck and welcome to the very fun world of boating.

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another thing to think about is what you are towing it with. Jet skis can be towed by anything with a hitch, boats not as much.

I agree with thee guys...from experience, if you feel a soft spot on the deck, there will be 100 you find later. I've replace a lot of the interior before and it is not cheap.

If you like Jet Skis, I would probably suggest a short bowrider...say 16' or something. You can still get 5 people on there comfortably, it will handle nicely, and is easy to trailer.

I wouldn't totally shy away from an inboard if you can find one at the right price.

My first boat was a 20 year old Four Winns bowrider with a Mercruiser inboard. Had a lot of good times with that boat and only spent $3500 on it. Another person in my family has it still and besides the interior work on it, we've spent little on the motor.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah pulling the boat won't be a problem. I have a silverado with a towing package and it can pull most anything I'm going to want. Here is one boat I was looking at to give you an idea:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1530993545.html

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1531728663.html

That last one is too expensive, but I'm interested in something like that. I would consider an in-board for the right price. My theory has been at least with an older outboard, it's easily replaced if need be whereas an inboard is a bit harder.

tashasdaddy

unless that glastron has had unusual care, or already been redone. 99% there is rot in it. 16 - 17 ft bowrider, with a 90 or 115, is what you need to look for. enough space not to be crowded. and enough power for water sports.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, thanks for the input. Boat just looked like it had been well taken care of, so that's why i was interested for the right price. I have seen a few of the ones you mention, but they seem to mostly be out of my price range.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking back through CL, I found a couple more Bayliner's I had previously looked at and was wanting an opinion on.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/1516662003.html

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/1530963674.html

edit
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1497783519.html

I like the '92 better, especially since I'm partial to outboards, but I feel like it's a little high in price. As for the other one, I have actually talked to the guy some and he is wanting to get rid of it because he is moving, so the price may be negotiable. Thanks guys, you have been a lot of help.

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, thanks for the input. Boat just looked like it had been well taken care of, so that's why i was interested for the right price. I have seen a few of the ones you mention, but they seem to mostly be out of my price range.

Please don't take this as if I'm a mean old jerk when I say you can't afford a boat of you can't afford to fix it. But it's true. The best way to know that is to find a friend who has a boat and ask about the costs involved and upkeep like payments, interest, licenses, taxes, fees, insurance, fuel, oil, mechanical problems.... just for beginners.

Tashasdaddy wrote a great post... and it's the best post of any written regarding this question... Don't ask the forum for info WE can't supply... Tashasdaddy spelled that out well. Only you can answer what your needs are. Wants are one thing... the boats purpose will answer many of the needs questions.

Be sure you get adequate training in rules of the road and boat handling and ALWAYS have and demand wearing a PFD for every member on the boat including a throwable cushion readily available for the unforeseen man overboard event.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please don't take this as if I'm a mean old jerk when I say you can't afford a boat of you can't afford to fix it. But it's true. The best way to know that is to find a friend who has a boat and ask about the costs involved and upkeep like payments, interest, licenses, taxes, fees, insurance, fuel, oil, mechanical problems.... just for beginners.

Tashasdaddy wrote a great post... and it's the best post of any written regarding this question... Don't ask the forum for info WE can't supply... Tashasdaddy spelled that out well. Only you can answer what your needs are. Wants are one thing... the boats purpose will answer many of the needs questions.

Be sure you get adequate training in rules of the road and boat handling and ALWAYS have and demand wearing a PFD for every member on the boat including a throwable cushion readily available for the unforeseen man overboard event.

No I understand completely what you are saying. I know the ways of the lake, like I stated earlier I have PWC's, I'm mostly just looking to upgrade. The reason why I don't want to spend a ton on the boat is because I'm well aware from my experience with PWC's that you need to have a certain amount of money left over for "everything" else. I'm basically just trying to get a feel of what brands to look for. That was a good post earlier, and will let me know a lot of what I need to look for when I find something I'm interested in.

Jeep Man

Commander

JJ, don't be too hung up on brand when your looking at spending $4k. If you were looking at $20k, then brand is more important. Look for a boat that meets your present needs, one that can be pulled by your vehicle safely, but most important, one that is in good condition. A boat that has been cared for, covered or stored inside when not in use, and generally maintained well will cost you less than one you have to bring back to life. Sometimes a good deal is anything but. If you have to spend a little more for a well maintained boat, it might well be money saved.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

JJ, don't be too hung up on brand when your looking at spending $4k. If you were looking at $20k, then brand is more important. Look for a boat that meets your present needs, one that can be pulled by your vehicle safely, but most important, one that is in good condition. A boat that has been cared for, covered or stored inside when not in use, and generally maintained well will cost you less than one you have to bring back to life. Sometimes a good deal is anything but. If you have to spend a little more for a well maintained boat, it might well be money saved.

Appreciate the insight. I agree for the most part of what you said, but part of me still is concerned with brand. I hate to buy a boat that has a bad reputation. With it being winter there hasn't been a ton of choices but I was hoping to find a good deal. I just need to keep looking. I've just been trying to gain some knowledge so I know what to look for.

piper_chuck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so the price may be negotiable...

Considering the economy, ALL are probably negotiable. This is particularly true when someone is trying to sell a boat in the dead of winter. Not many buyers around.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Considering the economy, ALL are probably negotiable. This is particularly true when someone is trying to sell a boat in the dead of winter. Not many buyers around.

Right, unfortunately the one good deal I came across, '97 Sea Ray in good condition for $4500, sold 30 minutes after it was posted. It seems anything that is a good buy sells before I get to it, which sucks considering I'm on CL all day. :D

tashasdaddy

when you find one, you have to be ready to JUMP, i missed a 1998 9.9 Johnson today, buy 10 minutes $100.00.

keep binder money in your pocket.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You put "reliable" as a criterion several times--this is important and should drive your decision. But be ready for sticker shock: reliable + $4000 = small.
Those who like to fix stuff, have lots of time, don't mind cancelling the boat trip at the last minute due to problems, and can live without the boat for 3 weeks in the summer, they can get a big old boat and motor and deal with the trade-off of cost v. convenience.

If you want to know it will work "first time every time" well a. it's not a boat but b. new is your best bet. So go look at new $4000 boats and you will see what you will get. For reliable used, expect to pay 75% of new, so go look at $5,500 new boats and then try to find comparible used <4 years old.. For new plan at that range, plan on $800 to rig it and for used, add $800 for initial motor work if it's already rigged.

But I suggest you not get tempted by a big old $4,500 deal; you have replaced "reliable" with "bargain." That may not be what you want to do. I commend you for focussing on "reliable" first; too many starting boaters don't, and end up frustrated and disappointed.

Good luck.
And while others may differ, I'd look at outboards only.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, reliability is a big factor. I may not be very old, but one thing I have learned over the years after owning atv's, dirt bikes, and pwc's, is that reliability is something I really care about. This is part of the reason I'm mostly interested in outboards. I've heard they are easier to maintain overall, plus if I come across a good hull and the motor lasts, it should be easier to replace an outboard. I'm not really in a hurry to buy. Though I'd like to buy before the summer, I may have to wait another season to get what I want. I just figured it doesn't hurt to learn as much as I can now.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have to differ a little (but not completely)... alot also depends on your mechanical experience and ability to determine condition .... I have a 1956 evenrude 7.5 outboard that looks like heck but starts first pull most every time maybe second after long storage... It runs perfect all day long and I haven't changed the spark plugs in it in oh close to 20 years :eek:.... maybe I should do that:redface:..... you can get reliable and cheap in the same sentence if you don't need pretty so much...... not a guarantee tho..... you have a REAL chance of getting junk both cheap AND expensive if you don't know how to tell the difference look for the smokin deals on the peices and put em together and you'd be amazed what you can have.... It looks like I'm gonna have my 28' cruiser water worthy for under $4000 but I have alot of my labor in it and a year of ebay and craigslist shopping......