Base Timing Jumper

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Base Timing Jumper

As far as I know, there hasn't been a jumper needed on any 3.0L OMC engine.

Don S

Come on now, you have 2 posts going right now, and I'm not sure what you have or what changes may have been done to your engine.
What do you have really? Year would help, and who knows did someone install an EST distributor in your engine? Things like that do happen, and they requier a timing lead.

VegasWaterRatt

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah.. I have two posts because I have two different questions... most other boards want us/me to post each question as its own post...

Anyway, I have a 1988 Baylinder with an OMC 3.0L 4 cylinder Motor. I have the manual for the engine and it doesn't list the motor os OMC.. only GMC, Ford, Volvo....

The distributor I have has points in it... the manual says that with an engine that is carborated you have to run a "bypass" on the distributor to get it to base timing... the manual isn't real clear on some things..

Don S

You need to do two things.
Find out exactly what engine you have, then find the proper OEM service manual, not the aftermarket ones that covers everything a little bit, but nothing enough to help fix it or identify it.
What is the name and number of the manual you have, who puts it out, that might help in figuring some things out.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1992 OMC 3.0 which has original electronic ignition. Runs great so I have never checked the timing. My OMC manual refers to a part # ????? jumper or shunt that is used to set the timing. I am also interested in the Question posted above. My boat and manual are in OK and I am in CO so I can't quote exactly what the manual says.

gill

Seaman Apprentice

timing procedure-- with the engine running install a jumper wire across the two white leads coming from the distributor, then bypass the shift interrupt switch by disconnecting the wires coming from the switch on the shift cable bracket. temporaly joining the unpluged wires together.

this is for the EST ignition, the way you tell is if there are two plugs on the distributor

VegasWaterRatt

Seaman Apprentice

I have the manual that I downloaded from this website.. I believe it is aftermarket...

gill

Seaman Apprentice

make the jumper wire from a 8" long piece of 16gauge wire and a clip on each end

Don S

Your 88 has points distributor as OEM, no jumpers.

VegasWaterRatt

Seaman Apprentice

Yep... older distributor has no plugs on it to connect to.. timing was set easily.. I should have looked at it first...

Thanks for your help guys...