33 hp ski twin

sgtmac

Cadet
Re: 33 hp ski twin

Yep. I mount and dismount that 33 every year by myself and boy, does that motor get heavy trying to lift it off the stand and put it on the transom. I almost always manage to knock the cover catch loose when lifting it, too. That's probably the only thing I don't like with mine, the weight compared to newer ones. but I got mine free, so price was perfect.
New plugs every year and it runs fine.

sgtmac

Cadet

Mine is a 16' LoweLine semi V with a 60" beam that I use for hunting and occaisional boating. I weigh 275 and with the motor, battery, gear in the back, the boat does squat when loaded down. I lengthened the fuel line to put the tank farther forward(at the cost of not being able to reach the bulb) and keep all the hunting stuff forward to balance things out. I am always concerned about water coming over the transom from waves and wind. On a fourteen foot, you're going to have plenty of power plus, if you're pull starting, there won't be a 50# battery in the back. If my boat was set up for a throttle and steering wheel, it would get me further forward, too, but it's not.
Anyway, I'm just saying the 33 is nice and has good power but it comes from the sixties before lightweight and powerful engines came in the same package. It's a heavy motor compared to new ones but spending 3 to 4 thousand on a new motor doesn't make any sense for me.
Can you put the motor on your boat for a test run, to check the trim? What kind of deal are you going to get on this motor? The guy that fixes outboards here in central Illinois is the one that told me about converting a motor to electric start, luckily mine already was set up. Getting that motor off the engine stand and on to the transom is going to be a back breaker one of these days. And I always store mine in the garage at the end of the season, I just don't feel good about leaving it out in the weather(it's -3 outside as I write, a little warmer in the garage).

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The engine weighs 127# manual start and 140# if electric start. They actually weigh less than most modern similar hp, 2 strokes. Surprisingly so.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I agree with samo_ott here. I have a 1986 25hp and it's just as heavy at that 33hp is. Unlike the older 25's it has a 33 cube powerhead and the lower unit is actually a little bigger than the older motors.:D Mine is electric start though, but that starter only adds a few pounds.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I agree with samo_ott here. I have a 1986 25hp and it's just as heavy at that 33hp is. Unlike the older 25's it has a 33 cube powerhead and the lower unit is actually a little bigger than the older motors.:D Mine is electric start though, but that starter only adds a few pounds.

A 2005, Evinrude 40HP, No electric start, no power tilt, weighs in at a portly 232 pounds.

A 1975, Evinrude 40HP, No electric start, no power tilt weighs in at a fit fighting weight of 129 lbs.

A manual 1975 25 HP weighs in as a flyweight 87 lbs.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yep, exactly. The 1975 25hp you're refering to, is still the older 22cube design and are still pretty light, compared to many. They changed that design in 1977 and made them bulkier like the one I have. Oddly enough, the older engines were lighter, in a lot of cases:cool:

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow got some info to take in here.

1# i cant test the motor on my boat unfornately..

2# yes or no for the 33? he has a 28 with electric start mind you.

3# motors are 400$ a piece. hes very negotiable so im saying 325-350 maybe even cheaper.gunna low ball first.

4# why the f*** would a 2005 weight almost double?

BTW thanks all u guys for the info, im a newbie to "outboards" and boating in general. apreciate it! :D

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

"Oddly enough, the older engines were lighter, in a lot of cases"---Yup

"4# why the f*** would a 2005 weight almost double?"---Maybe all the wiring the jam up underneath the cowling?? :):):) It's messed up though huh..better power-to-weight with 30-40-50 year old motors..tis true in many many cases it seems

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would go for the 33. It has 5 more horsepower and it weighs the same as the 28. Only difference, is the size of the bore if the 28 is in better shape, then by all means, get it.:cool:

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

well this is how it went down...motors both look good/clean inside and out. Didnt start tho, because its about 10 degrees outside and he didnt wanna fill barrel. Motor looks pretty big, thought it was smaller.good compression 130psi... He also has a 1972 18hp evinrude,7.5 johnson(classic!) a johnson sea horse, and many others.. Motor looks almost two big for my boat, but thats another story. dont know what i should get...help me out!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, that 18 would be a great investment for what you're needing:cool:

DaveyHAZZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

idk man i want that 33 on the back. i need powerr!!!!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Okay then, go get that baby. Then get us an update on what ya found:D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have found that, as I get older, outboard motors get heavier. Iused to think nothing of lifting a Superquiet model 35hp or 40hp motor onto the back of the transom of a trailered boat. In the years since, those motors must have been binge eating, because now I'm lookin' for some help when I want to do something like that! ;)

???

sgtmac

Cadet

Does anyone have any idea why the 33hp is called a "SkiTwin"? Was it supposed to be powerful enough for skiing? Just wondered...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I learned to ski behind a Johnson 28hp motor, so I guess calling the ERude 33hp, isn't a stretch. They key to it is a light boat with only a driver and observer, with the skier and the observer being kids.

???