1958 Evinrude sluggish

Doghandler

Recruit
Hello everyone, I am new here. I found this forum while trying to find a solution to my problem with my outboard.

I have a 1958 Evinrude 18hp with pressure tank. I got it right before I left for Iraq last year, and never used it till about two weeks ago. When I put it in the water the first time, it ran great. It would run full out, and get my small boat up on plane. The very next day and every day since, it feels like im running about a 5 horse or so. With the throttle all the way open, it barely goes anywhere.

It has a knob on the front for rich/lean, but every time I move it to where you can hear the engine run faster, it very soon chokes out and becomes hard to re start. I dont see how this knob could have gotten moved from one day to the next. It also has a small knob above that, and I have no clue what it does.

I am very outboard ignorant, so any ideas or help before I take it to someone is greatly appreciated. Thank you

EN2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1958 Evinrude sluggish

Click on T. D . TOP SECRET FILES at the top of the page. Sounds like you are running on one cylinder.Magnetos probably need some looking into.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Wnenever a motor has the symptoms you describe, chances are about 99% it is running on one cylinder. And...given the age of the motor, chances are about 90% that you have bad (cracked) coils. They are all bad unless they have already been replaced. Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention, could just be a spark plug.

The other 1% is possible internal motor self-destruction. Check the compression first to rule that out, then move on to the ignition system (pull flywheel and look).

Chances are 99.9% it is NOT a carburetor of fuel problem.

Attachments

• Cracked coils2.jpg
    Cracked coils2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

Doghandler

Recruit

Well, I will check the plugs tomorrow, figured I should start there anyhow. Are the coils hard to change or get?

Will something like that go out fast enough to run great one day, then crappy the very next, with no warning?

jbjennings

Captain

Well, I will check the plugs tomorrow, figured I should start there anyhow. Are the coils hard to change or get?

Will something like that go out fast enough to run great one day, then crappy the very next, with no warning?

Yes.

Directions on how to change coils (with pictures) are in the "top secret" file at the top of this forum. It's easy. You can replace the whole ignition for about $80, one coil for about $25. Buy coils here at iboats, or various other places on the net or your BRP dealer. Not hard to find.
That's a great motor, BTW. An outboard doesn't get much better than that.
Merry Christmas, and welcome to iboats,
JBJ

Doghandler

Recruit

Thanks for the info. i found the coils here on iboats for about $18 a piece, so I may go ahead and change em out regardless.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely. They arc out through the cracked insulation and then that's all she wrote. Hey. look at them before buying new ones. Somebody may have already replaced them. Other things could have gone wrong--bad wires, dirty points, etc, etc.

kbait

Commander

Make sure you remove and file the point faces to a shine and reset to .020". Replace if you cannot completely remove any pits.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hey doghandler, I want to first say: Thank you for your service to our great country.

Secondly, you can get a simple visual of the couls by removing the pawl ring off of the top of the flywheel and then the little access plate under it. once the pawl ring is off, you will find there is just a 1/4 20 flathead screw left holding it down. You'll then have a hole 1" diameter on the top of the flywheel that you can get a good visual of the coils, simply by turning the flywheel (clockwise only) This access hole is primarily for checking the adjustments on the points as well. If you do go through the expense of replacing the coils and stuff, it would be a great idea to belly up to a new set of spark plug leads too. I find that if you remove the armeture plate and thoroughly clean it and relube it and replace all the components, you won't have to mess with it for many years to come. All you'll have to do is check the point gap and make sure your points have sufficent lube, riding on the cam. Good Luck, I hope this helps.:cool:

Doghandler

Recruit

Well, I started with the plugs today... They were so loose I could hand turn them a couple turns and they were out. they were nice and black, so i went ahead and replaced them. Took it out on the lake for a minute, and it was still the same. i will check the coils when i get time tomorrow. I know the coils are in stock here at iboats, even if the tune up kit is not, so if I need coils I will get them here.