New Teleflex shifter rigged backwards @#$%&

rv8tor

Cadet
Merry Christmas everybody! I'm down here in Florida with my boat with a brand new Teleflex Delux Shifter and shift cable installed (last week).

I started the motor once the boat was in the water, and discovered immediately that the shifter was rigged backwards! I have to go in reverse to get forward motion, and forward to get reverse motion. Everything else seems to work normally. It's a bit counter-intuitive but we managed to go have fun for a few hours.

The linkage on top of the engine looks normal to me, but I'm afraid to disassemble the shifter controls ($525 Teleflex Delux). I plan to take it to a boat shop tomorrow here in N.Palm Beach ( my residence and shop that did the replacement are in Virginia ), but has anyone had this happen, and is it an easy fix?

Thanks.

Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Teleflex shifter rigged backwards @#$%&

Hard to say without knowing the model number of the control, but most side mount Teleflex controls have the shift arm on both sides of the pivot.
You probably have your cable hooked to the wrong side.
Have a look at the instructions again. They normally tell you which hole for which drive and which side.

Here is a sample. May not be for your control though.

Attachments

• Teleflex.jpg
    Teleflex.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I plan to take it to a boat shop tomorrow here in N.Palm Beach ( my residence and shop that did the replacement are in Virginia ), but has anyone had this happen, and is it an easy fix?

Thanks.

Jeff

Howdy,

I installed a Teleflex CH1700 shift quadrant on my boat a couple of years ago. Just about all the shifters work and install pretty much the same.

It appears that you had a local shop install yours?

They'll need to "fix it"......you might speak to them and indicate that they hooked it up backwards and see if they will pay the shop you take it to or reimburse you.

That will entail just disconnecting the cables and re-connecting them to the correct holes in the quadrant. It's a simple R&R operation.

It shouldn't take more than 1-2 hrs.

It's a bit of a concern that they didn't check it to make sure it works correctly and didn't screw up the idle rpm etc.....

After they fix it, you might look for another shop for future work....

Regards,

Rick

QC

Supreme Mariner

Shop was in VA, now looking for local shop in FL . . . ;)

rv8tor

Cadet

Howdy,

..... a bit of a concern that they didn't check it to make sure it works correctly and didn't screw up the idle rpm etc.....

After they fix it, you might look for another shop for future work....

...Roger that, Rick. After talking to a few shops down here today, I decided to just deal with it until I get home next week. I'll have the local shop fix it the right way. I have a few other issues to deal with them as well.

Jeff

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If you have the installation instructions it will indicate which "holes" the cable ends are connected to depending on Mercury/Johnson/Evirude/Yamaha etc.....

It appears that the installer just didn't read the instructions....Those controls are designed to work on all I/O's and outboards.

rv8tor

Cadet

Since the local shop in VA installed it, they have the instructions for installation. It sounds like it would be simple enough though. A local shop here in Florida told me yesterday that I have to make sure the tension is right though if I try to do the switch.

Is there any big secret to getting into the shifter box?

havasuboatman

Ensign

It's a simple fix. It just boggles the mind that any shop could let a boat go out like that! It could have been disasterous.
Call the shop that did the work, explain what happened and ask them to reimburse you the repair.

rv8tor

Cadet

Looking at the website, it appears my model is the CH1700 with trim, tilt, and cutout switches. They neglected to hook up the cutout switch, and the trim and tilt switches appear to raise the drive at the same speed!

Don S

By the cutout switch, I assume you mean the neutral safety switch. As far as the trim and tilt switchs, they will be the same speed. They have nothing to do with speed. The trim/tilt motor is only a single speed. I assume you have been used to outboards?

rv8tor

Cadet

Actually no Don. This is my first boat. I've been messing around with airplanes for 30+ years, but this is my first boat. By cutout switch, I mean the emergency cutoff switch

That's fine if the switches do essentially the job at the same speed. Can I assume that the trim switch will reach a stop before fully raising the drive, or will it also raise it all the way up?

Last edited:

Don S

Can I assume that the trim switch will reach a stop before fully raising the drive, or will it also raise it all the way up?
NO, the drive will not stop it's full up travel automatically. Just raise it up till you hear the motor bog down a little. Then hit the down button 1 shot just to relieve the excess pressure. It can sometimes cause the drive to stick in the up possition.
There is a trim limit switch, but it will only work if the switch on the outdrive is good and adjusted properly. There are probably more bad limit switches than good ones out there.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Can I assume that the trim switch will reach a stop before fully raising the drive, or will it also raise it all the way up?
To clarify what Don said. IF the trim limit switch is working, yes, the trim button will raise it only to the height of "safe" operation. The tilt button takes it to full height. Other than that there is no difference between the two buttons. Use trim while underway, tilt to put her on the trailer or super shallow operation and generally at IDLE ONLY . . .

rv8tor

Cadet

Talked to my local VA shop this morning and the owner is feeling pretty bad about what happened. He said he would reimburse me for a local FL shop to re-rig the shift lever. Tomorrow morning it will be taken care of, and then I'll need to re-learn the right way to shift!;)

A few more precious days in the nice South Florida sun and then back north to reality. I'll need to winterize this boat again before heading home:(

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Talked to my local VA shop this morning and the owner is feeling pretty bad about what happened. He said he would reimburse me for a local FL shop to re-rig the shift lever. Tomorrow morning it will be taken care of, and then I'll need to re-learn the right way to shift!;)

A few more precious days in the nice South Florida sun and then back north to reality. I'll need to winterize this boat again before heading home:(

Outstanding!

let us know how it turns out!

While you're waiting for it to happen......Post a couple of pictures of your RV-8 too!! :D (if you have one!!)

havasuboatman

Ensign

It's nice hearing a story now and then about a shop doing the right thing. They (we) do more often than not, But that is rarely the story that gets spread around.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Roger that ^^^^^ bad news travels fast.

rv8tor

Cadet

Well, I got the boat back today with the shifter fixed but didn't have time to get it in the water. I will be doing that tomorrow morning sometime. It was a nice shop to work with down here in Lantana, Florida called "J&K Marine".

They promised that they rigged and adjusted the cables properly so that it was nice and smooth with no chattering. Can't wait to check it out. I'm not sure what I'm more excited about....the fact that the shifter works correctly, or the fact that it is December 30th!!!:D

I am building a Vans RV-8 and I'm only on the wings stage for those interested. Sorry, no pics available to post. Long project here...but fun. Good wintertime project:rolleyes:.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hey that's great!

Glad you got it taken care if. It's also good that the original shop will "step up to the plate" and make it good!

An RV-8 is a pretty cool airplane! I would love to build one. Probably won't happen though.....not a lot of time or that.....I did fly an RV-3 many years ago...LOVED IT!!

Cheers,

Rick