1975 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

John Calvert

Cadet
Fellow Starcraft owners..

We put our 1975 Chieftain in the water last weekend for the first time in over 3 years after an extensive restoration.

The story is long but the short version is that we have a 1975 Starcraft Chieftain 18 with a 115 Evinrude. My wife's grandmother was the second owner and bought it sometime around 1977. My wife and her siblings all learned to fish and ski in this boat. Grandma gave it to us around 1992. Our kids now have also grown up in this boat. We moved to coastal Georgia in 2002 and the humidity finally finished the deck by 2006. We decided to do a complete trailer off restoration. It has taken 3 years, countless hours of work and loads of money but we are almost finished.

My wife's 88 year old grandmother was here from Oklahoma for the holidays so it seemed like a perfect time since this was her boat...disregard the fact that it was 50 degrees. She was game for a ride so off we went to the ramp. We put in close to downtown Savannah in the intercoastal waterway. We picked up grandma at a nearby marina. All 6 of us were aboard bundled up in winter gear for about a one hour cruise out to the sound and back.

Everything performed perfectly including my new electronics...finally have a GPS and a decent depth finder. Engine ran great and she planed out perfectly.. topped out at 35 at 5000 RPM. The only hitch was misreading the tide chart?we came back to the ramp at dead low tide.. awe man! Miraculously I didn?t run her aground and barely had enough water to get her back on the trailer.

All I have left to do is fabricate a rear bench seat, install a swim deck and some missing trim. By spring we will be good to go.

I have invested enough to buy a much newer boat but it just wouldn't be the same. There is something special about this old girl.

OK, hopefully this is the right place to post this project. Seems I hi-jacked another dude?s thread that I thought was a generic Starcraft thread?my bad, sorry guys! I should stick to restoring boats and planes and stay off this thing.

Here are some photos showing before and after...

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/vv248/StarcraftSkipper/1975%20Starcraft%20Chieftain%20Restoration/

John

boatmaidentrip030.jpg

boatmaidentrip033.jpg

boatmaidentrip032.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1975 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

I have invested enough to buy a much newer boat but it just wouldn't be the same. There is something special about this old girl.

Ayuh,... I know what you mean,.... Great Job, Sweet little boat...

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good family story, really nice boat.

North Beach

Commander

John, that is one extremely clean Chieftain! I don't know what it looked like before you started, but it's sure to be a real head turner at the water.

And welcome to iboats!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Thats a sweet boat..classy lines and a killer paint scheme..Welcome to the Club!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice looking rig, love the hatches and splashwell lettering. Any before pics?

John Calvert

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

Its been a long project for sure but rewarding. I like designing new solutions for storage, etc.

Having used the boat extensively for 15 years before the resto we knew what the shortcomings were and what we wanted to make it more useable. The below deck storage for ski's, paddles etc is a big improvement and I still have the rear bench and under seat storage to build.

As for the before pics there are a few on the following photo bucket link... I dont have any of the old interior but suffice to say it was very blue and very 1970's... kinda like something right out of the brady bunch or Gilligans island:rolleyes: It had to go.

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/v...20Restoration/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Awesome boat. I helped a friend drag home a 21' Chieftain outboard model last weekend. Your boat will definitely be an inspiration on that project.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hey John you did a fantastic job on her and dont worry about hijacking my thread :D. I have hijacked it myself a few times LOL . We just wanted you to have your own thread so other members could find your great looking Starcraft . Welcome to iboats and the Starcraft club.

Rick

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good!

So, was grandma pleased, looks like she should be.

John Calvert

Cadet

yep, grandma was happy with her old boat...they used to camp on it when my wife was little back in Texas on Lake Meridith. It had a screen door and the Cuddy cushions made out into a bed. Not sure if I would be up for that. We took the door off as it was always in the way.

By the way boating in the winter is not my favorite. This was a special request!

boatmaidentrip046.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

John..Glad ya have a home of your own here in iboats;)

Shes a great lookin boat..would be darn proud to have such a clean lookin Starcraft!!

I like the speakers in the seat boxes..I was leaning to pedastals...Havent made up my mind 100%..but like the idea of speakers plus some storage.