Your Thoughts On Oil

JohnnySCV

Seaman
I recently purchased a boat with a 1992 200 HP Mercury outboard, carburated not EFI. The guy I bought it from said the only 2 stroke oil I could ever use is Amsoil Synthetic HP Injector Oil. Seems strange to me that once you start using an oil you can't change to a different brand??? Any how, is this a decent oil to be using? Should I and can I change to a different brand? Thanks for your input and Merry Christmas!!

JV

Attachments

• hpi_qt_300pxh.jpg
    hpi_qt_300pxh.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Your Thoughts On Oil

Mercury says you must use an oil that meets the TC-W3 spec(it might have been TC-W2 back in 1992, but since TC-W3 superceded TC-W2, it would be the current requirement. Check the label on your oil, if it says it meets the TC-W3 you can use it. Keep in mind some oils just meet the spec while others may exceed it. Naturally Outboard manufacturers want you to use their brand oil, and they do market very good oils, but there are others that also very good. Last time I checked Amsoil was not certified TC-W3 but that might have changed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your engine will run just fine on a 50:1 mix of any TC-W3 certified oil.

The Amsoil will make less smoke and stink and reduce the risk of carbon build-up and plug fouling. It will also lighten your wallet a lot more than other satisfactory oils.

I have only used Wal Mart's SuperTech TC-W3 oil for at least the last 20 years. I have had no problems with carbon or plug fouling.

There are other opinions, I am sure. Just remember, no hitting, biting or kicking. . . and no insults or bad language.

robert graham

Admiral

I switched a few years ago from Yamalube to the Pennzoil 100% Synthetic(Walmart $27/gallon)and it burns cleaner with less smoke, would also recommend the Stabil Marine and Ringfree all the time with a fuel/water separator. My motor is a 1999 and I've never had any fuel problems at all, knock on wood! Good Luck!

OldMercsRule

Captain

Your engine will run just fine on a 50:1 mix of any TC-W3 certified oil.

The Amsoil will make less smoke and stink and reduce the risk of carbon build-up and plug fouling. It will also lighten your wallet a lot more than other satisfactory oils.

I have only used Wal Mart's SuperTech TC-W3 oil for at least the last 20 years. I have had no problems with carbon or plug fouling.

There are other opinions, I am sure. Just remember, no hitting, biting or kicking. . . and no insults or bad language.

Awh shucks JB!!!! :D

Ya know I like ta bite n' kick, (n' thread hyjack), a weeeeeee bit!!!! :redface:

Merry Christmas ta you n' yers and the rest of iboats readers as well!!! :D

Respectfully, JR
;)

EDIT: Real sorry if I've insulted any of you Fellers over the years. I jus' get carried away from time ta time, (only one functional brain cell).

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found Penzoil tw3 at Autotrash oops Autozone for 14.99 a gallon. bought a bunch check it out

j_martin

Admiral

I recently purchased a boat with a 1992 200 HP Mercury outboard, carburated not EFI. The guy I bought it from said the only 2 stroke oil I could ever use is Amsoil Synthetic HP Injector Oil. Seems strange to me that once you start using an oil you can't change to a different brand??? Any how, is this a decent oil to be using? Should I and can I change to a different brand? Thanks for your input and Merry Christmas!!

JV

The biggest problem I have with AmZoil, apart from the fact that it is an overpriced pyramid marketing scheme, is that they make extreme claims that it will run well in extremely lean mixes.

The first thing you need to understand clearly, the oil needed is a function of engine design. Early 2 cycles with no recirculating systems needed 16:1. If you use TC100 oil, you still have to mix it at 16:1 for that engine. Same with every other engine made.

Uneducated folks listening to Amzoil advertizing hype and imagining that they understand it and their engine will mix it at 80:1 or 100:1 for a 50:1 engine. The engine rebuilders love it. It's job security.

So, contrary to the hype, it is not cheaper to run than regular 2 cycle oil. You either pay a lot more for the oil, or pay later in maintenance.

For most engines running moderately, WalMart TCW3 is as good as any. For high performance, any synth blend or synthetic is fine. For extreme performance, you mix one of the racing oils pretty rich and change plugs a lot. Most of those applications actually change pistons every few hours. Whatever you run, you run it at the mixture ratio the engine is designed or set up for. Believe it or not, too much oil can slow down and dilute the fuel flow enough to burn down the power head for lack of fuel.

hope it helps
John

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't have to run the Amsoil. I have 4 gallons ready of it myself, once I get my new to me boat on the water. The products are very good.

It's a good oil but feel free to use another decent oil.

Dukedog

Captain

The guy I bought it from said the only 2 stroke oil I could ever use is Amsoil Synthetic HP Injector Oil. JV

Must be a Amsoil distributor :rolleyes: You CAN change ta something else if ya want.

Pennzoil blend for steel motors, 100% syn. for chrome and/or nic motors. Best dollar for dollar oil I've found.........................

dozerII

Admiral

Must be a Amsoil distributor :rolleyes: You CAN change ta something else if ya want.

Pennzoil blend for steel motors, 100% syn. for chrome and/or nic motors. Best dollar for dollar oil I've found.........................

Dukedog What type of motor would a 1984 75 hp 4cyl be of the three you mentioned.

Glen

Dukedog

Captain

Been usin' tha Penn blend on my fishin' motors for a looooooooong time but everyone has their prefernce.....................

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

I use oil. Mix it 50:1 all the time, it used to be pennz blend but now it's just the plain walmart stuff. No problemo with oil.

In fact I just used some more. Guess that makes me a user.

JohnnySCV

Seaman

I guess I am gonna switch things up.Thanks for your responses! The stuff I am using seems like it is way overpriced.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trust me everyone has an opinion on what oil to use. I try to use what I think is the best for any given application. Some people don't like to spend very much money on oil and that's fine.
Whether that is the best for someone elses engine is another matter that will never be decided anytime soon. If you think the quality is acceptable to you go for it.

I tend to lean the other way. On four stroke engines I run oil for longer periods of time, "good syn".
On two strokes there are no drain intervals. So what you pay in the long run is totally dependent on what you pay for the oil.

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

where's lubedude when you need him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!