McKee Craft Handling Characteristics

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
I have an opportunity to buy a 16 foot McKee Craft just like this one. I know little about these boats, but have been told that they are very well built. One question that I have, is about handling in chop, especially head-on seas.

I operate in a mix of bayous (canals) and lakes. Most of the lakes are relatively small, but can "kick up" pretty quickly. I also operate in Lake Ponchartrain a lot and the same issue with rapidly changing conditions occurs there. As is typical of lakes that are about 12 - 14 feet deep on average, the chop is usually closely spaced and about 2 - 3 feet in height, on days that you would operate a 16' boat.

Does anyone have any experience with McKee Craft boats of this hull style? If so, what is your opinion/advice as to handling characteristics, safety, dryness, etc?

McKee2.jpg

???

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: McKee Craft Handling Characteristics

I can't see it ???

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yeah, that was an "ooooooooooops." Look again!

???

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay that's a maccanaw model. Mckee built thousands of those and I have one of them. They like all their other models built several "models" on the same exact hull. There's also a center console version with that hull.

Great boats, VERY stoutly built and unsinkable. The boat you're looking at I actually considered purchasing but backed out because of a lack of a engine coming with it. I instead bought one in the panhandle with a nice engine for $2K.

Now to answer your question, these are not rough water boats only due to the ride and short sharp chop like you describe is certainly doable but I'd make sure I had a engine with PTT so you can lift the bow a bit. The boat is extremely stable and makes a fantastic fishing platform, the shallow draft has allowed me to get into some pretty skinny water while chasing reds.

A buddy of mine here also has the same boat but has a 115 on it and in those conditions he can get on top of it and just skim along.

I use mine mostly in Mobile bay, Mississippi sound and the delta. I find it a good match for those waters.

I only now paid attention to where you're from.... we're almost neighbors! LOL

On a side note, I assume you know this fellow buys and sells a lot of boats? He has some sort of ad or another running on craigslist all the time. I believe some of the boats he buys if it has a really good engine he pulls it off and sells the boat and motor separately.... guess everyone's gotta make a buck.

If you buy it the first thing I'd do is pull the top off the left console and check the gas tank mounts. once you get the screws out you can lift it to one side and look at the mounts and hoses. These sometimes have issues when the boat is this age. easy fix if it's come loose or the hoses are rotten.

70HP is about the smallest engine I'd go with and it's a popular choice for that boat. due to the limited fuel carrying ability.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If the guy you are talking about is "The Boatyard," its not him. He does buy, sell and hold boats on consignment quite a bit. He is also well known for buying rigs and selling everything separately. He has a pretty bad rep but I've dealt with him a couple of times - as long as you offer him about 30% of what he is asking and understand what you are buying, he's OK.

Basically, what I want to do is to replace the old Glassmaster trihull that I have. Its been a good boat, but the floor could stand to be re-done (just starting to get a bit "spongy") and its heavy. My top end with the Johnson 65hp that I have is right at 29 mph (GPS) and I can cruise at 23-24 mph. At cruise, I get about 3.5 mpg, which isn't too shabby for a boat with an old motor.

If the McKee would run a couple of MPH faster at any given power setting, so much the better. It also would have the lateral stability that I have in the Glassmaster, which is good for photography. Most of all, I like the raised dual console arrangement. The boat doesn't have a bimini or top, but if I had one made for it with side curtains, I could stay pretty dry during showers - something that is a big deal to me, because my cameras are worth more than the boat!

I don't need a "bigwater" boat. My concern about ability to handle some chop, has to do with the fact that I operate in Lake Ponchartrain a lot, as well as in the bayous & marshes. With any 16' boat, you have to pay attention to weather in Lake Ponchartrain, because it can get nasty pretty quickly. The Glassmaster handles this very well, if you back off the power and get the bow up. I think the McKee would too. I guess my question was related to how badly it would pound in head-on seas, as all trihull or flat bowed boats do. If you use yours in the Mississippi Sound, though, I guess its do-able, as long as you stay out of sea states that wouldn't be advisable in any 16' boat.

One question - what is the size of the fuel tank? Most of my outings involve about 6 - 10 gallons of fuel burn, but I do occassionally make use of the 24 gallon total capacity (without my aux tanks) that I have in the Glassmaster.

???

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jay, I wasn't talking about the "boat yard"..... that guy's rep is known even over here in Mobile... the guy who owns the boat you're looking at is a small time "on the side" buyer and seller. Seemed like a nice enough guy on the phone. Did he tell you about the missing roller on the trailer? when I looked at it he had the bow sitting on a tire!

The Mckee is very stable and it's not a true "tri-hull" I think they call it a "cathedral hull" design. The only tri-hull I ever had was a "Regal" 16' and I can assure you the McKee handles head on chop worlds better than that Regal did...

My Mckee has a 16 gal tank and a 70HP merc pushes it at 35MPH with 2 adults and maybe 100lbs of gear on board. I've fished it all day running from spot to spot and never had any issues with fuel consumption.

Bimini's are available for them and I have one for mine. I've seen one with a full enclosure in Panama City Beach FL, but he had a canvas shop make it for him.... same deal, he's a photographer

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if that is the sled type bow. it is a hell of a ride in choppy water. you need a mouth guard to keep from knocking your teeth out. smooth water they are fast and sleek. i have had to test drive several of these, when repairing the motor. the seasprite would be a much better overall choice. that is my opinion.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Macannaw is not the "sled" bow... the 14' Mckee I have IS the sled bow and you are correct... smooth water boat but nothing beats it in light water.

The other boat he's looking at will roll too much for photography even in light chop.