How To Siphon/Drain Stingray 220CS Fuel Tank

mrberrie

Recruit
I have a 2005 Stingray CS 220. I am afraid there is a garden of ethanol gunk growing in my gas tank. Took it out once in 2009 and had to call for help to get back to shore. Put Stabil in it that didn't help. I tried to siphon the gas out of the full tank, it would not siphon. Does anybody have a clue how I should go about getting the bad gas out of the tank. Boat will not start. Need to get all the gas out of the tank. Everything is as purchased from the factory. Can anybody please help me? If you live anywhere near Alabama and have the capability to do this, please get in touch. Thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: How To Siphon/Drain Stingray 220CS Fuel Tank

well an easy but not so cheap way is go to the auto parts store and pick up a cheapo elec fuel pump and 10 feet of fuel hose..... unhook fuel line from fuel filter and pump out to cans

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove the transom drain plug, get a hose small enough to go thur the drain. open sending sending unit. siphon the gas to cans.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I do it T'daddy's way, out the transom hole, but (for an outboard) I use the gas line and bulb (by pass the water seperator). Remember to raise your trailer tongue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Adding Stabil or any other fuel system treatment AFTER the fuel has gone bad does not bring it back to life. Fuel treatments are to prevent it from going bad in the first place and the engine must be run long enough to get the stuff into the fuel system. The reason you cannot siphon through the fuel line is because of the anti-siphon valve (rather appropriate name huh?) that the fuel line is connected to at the tank. Remove that fitting and replace it with a standard hose barb and siphon away. Replace the anti siphon valve when done. Then add fuel system treatment and fresh fuel.

mrberrie

Recruit

mrberrie

Recruit

remove the transom drain plug, get a hose small enough to go thur the drain. open sending sending unit. siphon the gas to cans.

What/where is the "transom drain plug" and "sending unit"?? Thanks!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Don't see a welcome aboard here, so let me get that out of the way . . . ehhh . . . welcome aboard!!

Take a look at Silvertip's post above ^^^^^ Get the anti-syphon valve out of there and Ziggy's plan should work. They are required so I assume it is there in a 2005 boat. If there is a free run from the fuel line in the tank to a lower point than the bottom of the tank, it should empty after getting it primed (hand pump). Good luck!!

ziggy

Admiral

FYI...I tried this and it did NOT work.
that's too bad. something is amiss.

same replys as others if yer using the fuel line right off the fuel pump. ie. through the anti siphon valve.

the problem i incurred using this method was keeping the curlys out of the line that went into the fuel tank. the line curls up and comes out of the fuel in the tank and stops the siphon. to cure that i used a tube from my oil extractor on the end of the sucking end of the pump. i was lucky, i had a straight shot into my fuel tank from the gas fill. if you don't you may need to take the sender off or start in ft. of the anti siphon valve.
the other issue i had was them pumps are cheap. had mine a few years and it never works when i get it out. always gotta mess with it to get it to pump again. once i know it was pumping, got the inlet into the fuel. then i was good to go.
it does work and good luck with her...

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What/where is the "transom drain plug" and "sending unit"?? Thanks!

The transom drain plug is the fitting on the outside of your transom (stern) at the lowest point. It's used to drain the hull when the boat is out of the water. Since water (and fuel) seek the lowest point, a tube/hose fed through the drain plug should facilitate removing the contents of the tank.

The "sending unit" is the mechanism fitted into a hole in top of your fuel tank to communicate with your gas gauge. It sends a signal to the gauge. It's probably hidden under a removable section of your floor in the center/rear of the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

or if you are confused by all this you can do what I said and just hook up where the fuel line goes on the tank... it works really well and you can stop the fuel flow at any time by unhooking power to the pump(I put aligator clips on mine). plus the electric pump also works to change oil in an i/o... BONUS:cool:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with smoke on this one...you'll wonder how you ever got along without a cheap electric fuel pump around to use once you have one in your shop....it has MANY uses , and makes things like what you are trying to do a breeze....one connection, and no removing/reinstalling parts and valves...KISS rule ....Keep It Stupid Simple...;) Good luck bro !

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

or...........................leave all the fuel lines as is, as well as the sending unit.

This might not work if the filler neck of the tank is way too crooked but otherwise..............

Get you a length of tubing to go from your gas can on the ground to the bottom of your boat tank. Via the fill opening.
Then get a two foot length of another tube and put that into the fill opening next to the first long tube.

Go duct tape off the boat tank vent opening. Or seal it some other way.

Go back to the fill opening on the boat and stuff a rag around the tubes and inside the fill opening.

Now start blowing into the short tube. If the long tube is down into fuel, it will come out.
You will likely have to massage the rag to fit better to seal off the escaping air better.

Most of the time siphoning will begin and continue till done without blowing more.
If not, keep blowing. If you run out of lung power before the tank is drained, go get your kids to blow.

You could also eliminate the rag if you have a rubber ball like a naked tennis ball (hand ball)
Install the tubes thru the ball and then lower the long tube into the tank until the ball is sealing against the tank fill opening. You will have to hold it there when blowing air to seal.

This way you do not get a mouth full of gas nor a lung full of fumes. No sparks from a jury rigged electric fuel pump. No moving parts. Works on virtually any fuel tank.

If you get the bright idea of hooking up an air source you only want 2 psi or so. Like a tire pump, you do not want to blow a fuel line off or the sending unit gasket.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

no problem with sparks if you hook to a battery above ground level and not in the boat or other enclosed space

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

hmmmm , kids and gasoline....:confused:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

besides he already said this gas wouldn't burn ..............:rolleyes:

KIDDING...lol

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I have removed old gasoline that will not run in my boat engine and run it in an old Jeep, lawn mower and the brush pile. All run well and burnt real good. It was so old it had no smell.

Just be careful as sparks and gas FUMES do not mix, no matter hold old the gas is that is making those fumes.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yes absolutely always be careful... thas why I said KIDDING above..
btw that gas is hard on anything you run it in.... It builds up on valves spark plugs and etc and can cause detonation and stuck valves....
This is a pretty simple process. At this point you need to get hands on and look at the tank.... there are several ways to get the gas out and all of them require at least a chance of getting gas on your hands.... the fuel guage sending unit which is a round plate on top of the gas tank held down by several screws can be removed. A hose can be slipped down SOME fill hoses. A pump can be used on the fuel supply hose to the engine. Or you can pay a shop to do it.... You will need enough gas cans to hold the gas ans a way to SAFELY AND LEGALLY get rid of it.... do not pour it on the ground or in a gutter.