Rebuilding a 197? Starcraft Jupiter?

techjob4u

Cadet
Hi everyone this is my 1st post. However I have been reading along for about 1 year now getting an idea where to start on my 70's starcraft.

I bid on the boat on ebay with an 65 hp Evinrude on it and lost the bid and someone else got the starcraft for 1200 with motor.

I then decided to buy another boat an old fiberglass Glaspar with a 1961 starflite engine 75hp for $450 total. Well two days after I picked up the Glaspar, the owner of the starcraft emailed me and told me he was testing the boat with the buyer and the engine blew, so if I wanted the boat only he would sell it to me for $600 with a continental trailer that looked fairly new.

I went from never owning a boat in my life to having two that needed work. So I took the engine off the Glaspar and gave it to a coworker. Long story on the engine, I decided to replace it and got a Johnson Tracker 35 hp with oil injection. I still have the starflight in pieces no one can seem to get it to spark and I didnt want to waste more $ on it. So right off the bat I made some bad choices and lost cash, oh well.

Regardless I really wanted the starcraft and I got it. The boat looks pretty good in its current shape. However I want to make sure I have it for years to come so I noticed the transom wood was rotting. I have cut boards for that and I am in the process of replacing it. I also noticed a soft spot in the floor and figured well might as well do that at the same time and if I am gonna do that I might as well flood the boat look for leaks and seal up. I bought 2lbs of gluvit and a small package of marine tex. I also bought some alumina weld sticks just in case.

I am not sure of the year the title says its a 1971 but the dash says Jupiter and all of the jupiters I have seen have a flat dash boad. Mine comes up like a car dash for the driver and then goes into a flat dash towards the passenger. So I think its either a later model or they redid the boat and used a later model dash.

I will try to get more pictures soon, need to clear out my garage after christmas and start working on it again. Right now the boat is covered in boxes of holloween decorations and x mas boxes for lights etc.

I have attached pictures of the transom project. So far I un bolted all of the rusted out bolts. I got all of the bad wood out, which was swelled up but a crow bar helped losen it all up. I bought marine board plywood at home depot. I know its expensive but I read mixed reviews some say buy marine board others say just buy a board and seal it. I dont wanna do this again anytime soon so I went for the overpriced marine board and soaked it in armor all water seal for 4 coats and 4 days of drying. Any other suggestions? I was thinking about using caulk in the sides of the board grain to prevent water intrusion but I am not sure if I am going over board. I also want to replace the screws the old ones are rusted pretty good. Any suggestions on what kind to use or avoid does it matter? I assume a zinc based metal screw?

Next step is the floor. I am thinking about marine grade plywood again but its so expensive. Will I need one or two sheets? I was also thinking what about pink or blue foam on the bottom and then metal sheeting for the floor? Has anyone used this, what about concrete board? I used concrete board on my brothers bathroom when we did the wet areas. Its not that heavy compared to wood. I know I am might be asking dumb questions but I want to do this boat right the 1st time if possible.

Thanks for your help, allot of you have already gave me great advice just reading along! Hope to post some more pics soon and hopefully I can ID the year and make for sure.

Tony - Riverview, Fl.

Attachments

• Rotten transom.jpg
    Rotten transom.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rott transom.jpg
    rott transom.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
  • no transom.jpg
    no transom.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • newwood.jpg
    newwood.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0

techjob4u

Cadet
Re: Rebuilding a 197? Starcraft Jupiter?

Here is a picture of the dash for ID purposes

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0

techjob4u

Cadet

I also noticed some damage looks like the boat may have hit a dock or rubbed against one. There is a large weld on the side and the metal looks buckled on the nose of the boat with a hair line crack that was filled with marine putty which I chipped out.
I am not sure if I should refill with marine tex or use aluminum welding rods. On the inside it appears to be water tight and no cracks can be seen from the inside.

I plan on going over this area with allot of gluvit. Should I leave the sloppy weld as is or should I sand down and reweld it from the inside? I am thinking leave it alone and gluvit it?

Attachments

• sideweld.jpg
    sideweld.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0
  • weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 0

techjob4u

Cadet

I found a tag and it says its a Jupiter. However still not sure of the year. The plate is all pitted but I can make out Jupiter and serial # 977535.

techjob4u

Cadet

ok one more question. As far as the foam. How do you feel about expanding water proof foam? I read some posts about using expanding foam vs blue foam and the majority of posts against it is because water can get under and have no place to go. What if I was to take PVC pipes, drill holes in them every few inches and create a channel, then foam around the pvc, or even bambo which doesnt rot in wet conditions? Although PVC might be better. Good Idea, bad idea? I still dont get why there is foam in the floor anyways, I am assuming support for the boards?
I saw someone who used soda bottles and foam. I guess this was to save $ on the foam? Since the bottles take up space? Once again sorry about all the newbie questions.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Let me first off welcome you to iboats and the Starcraft club! Can we see some more overall pictures of your boat? From what I've seen it probably is a Jupiter but as you said it's either of a later year than what's popped up here before, or someone adapted a Holiday dash to it. I had a Jupiter that I restored and it was a great boat.

In regards to your wood questions....basically it all comes down to how long you want it to last. The optimum would be marine ply but most of us are using plain exterior grade. You should definitely seal any wood you are putting down. Again, how long do you want it to last. You can go anywhere from a couple coats of porch & floor paint or spar varnish, to just epoxy resin or resin and a coat of glass. For my project I intend to do all sides of the deck wood with epoxy resin and then after it's installed add a layer of glass. I don't think any of us are big fans of the "waterseal" type products like you used on your transom. For the deck I went with 3/4" for the deck in my Jupiter and again on my SS. It was rock solid and I loved it. I would consider 5/8" to be minimum. 1/2" is just too springy.

For flotation most of us are using the pink or blue construction sheet foam from Lowes/HD cut and fit into place. This stuff will NOT absorb water. I am actually seriously considering going with pool noodles for my project. In my opinion, the poured foam is just an expensive mess.

For your leaks, strip out the old deck and foam, check for any loose rivets and rebuck them. Then powerwash the inside, let it dry and apply Gluvit to all the rivets and seams.

Good luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Let me add, set up an account on photobucket.com and upload all your pictures there. Size them to 640x480. Trying to attach photos right in iboats is a pain the the size limit is too restrictive.

techjob4u

Cadet

I will try to get more pictures as soon as the holidays are over.

In regards to the water sealer on the transom. I was afraid to fiberglass them because it might make it a tight fit for reassembly. As is its 3 1/2 inch boards that will be sandwiched together in a tight space, replacing the two rotten 1/3 inch boards. I noticed you used truck bedliner on the back of your boat, thinking about doing the same. How is that working out. Did you have to strip it to metal or just paint over?

I have a few cracks were the welds are coming apart so I figure I am going to spot weld with alumiweld rods and then brush on bedliner. Would you suggest I bedline the boards as well or is it too thick?

What about garage floor epoxy, it drys thin and has a plastic like texture to it. Has anyone done this before to the transom or floor boards?

Also once I seal the boat flooring with Gluvit, should I use truck bedliner on the inside of the boat? Has anyone done that as well?

And last question. How do I reset the rivets. Some one said get a hammer and have someone on the inside hold a hammer to the rivet and slam it.

P.s. I love your 16 footer with the gray dash and blue carpet. The boat looks awesome. I hope mine turns out 1/2 as nice!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Tony, welcome to the Starcraft club:)

Also once I seal the boat flooring with Gluvit, should I use truck bedliner on the inside of the boat? Has anyone done that as well?

Use the gluvit on the bare aluminum seams and rivets inside the hull, use regular epoxy resin to seal the deck plywood, and don't use bedliner on any bare rivets or seams since it will make it tough to rebuck or gluvit them later.

I used black spray-on bedliner on my 12' AeroCraft and I wish I hadn't.

Wait till Rick sees your thread, he owns a Jupiter and is knowledgeable regarding metalworking. He might have some advice about your weld issues.