Anyone know how Goodwill works?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
We live within driving distance to a couple of Goodwill stores, one is 'Retail' and the other is an 'Outlet'. There is also a Goodwill computer store next to it. Whenever I go in to any of them I find the usual 2nd hand items, usually beaten up pretty badly, for near new prices. What exactly is the point of these stores if they sell donated items for near store-bought retail prices? Don't even bother with the computer store.. they have 10 year old parts at brand new prices, usually higher than new.

So, what's the deal? Are these stores unique in their effort to never sell anything or is this a business model? I'd love to buy more things at these stores, since I know at least a tiny fraction of my purchase goes to charity (even though they get it all for free), and I get the warm fuzzies of keeping another item from hitting a landfill, but I'm not going to pay more for worn out used items than I would brand new stuff. What's the secret?

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Anyone know how Goodwill works?

I wish I knew the answer. My local Goodwill stores are exactly like what you describe. Only when and if they have a "Red Tag" sale is anything (usually just clothing, though) worth buying. I have no idea how they do it. Other than their inventory is completely free, so "any" sale is profit.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am going to just advise you look at the website http://www.goodwill.org/

Yes I agree with what you say however, the organization is much larger than the "stores"

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I believe the employees mark the prices on the stuff. I have seen stuff there for OVER brand new prices and pointed it out to them. I do buy alot of my work clothes there, the nice one by our house sometimes even has clothes with the tags still on them for sale.

gonefishie

Commander

I haven't seen any of them around here that have high priced stuffs. Most of what they got are not worth it to me except one store near my house. This is a dumping ground for the nearby Target, anything Target can't sell ended up here. I find a lot of brand new designer polo, button down shirts for 4 bucks all the time. I took a CRT tv to another store a few weeks ago and there was a micro fiber couch appeared to be brand new for $50.

mscher

Lieutenant

Goodwill gets the "good stuff", but it does not sit on the store shelves very long. Some pros shop them every day.

I would not be too surprised to some of it going out the back door.

a70eliminator

Captain

People give pretty good stuff to the goodwill, then storeworkers, not sure if they are volunteer, refurbish the goods and price items, then rich selfish penny pincher types come in and pay retail thinking they are getting a deal and saving money, lol lol. Then you get the yard sale crowd, these women buy the stuff on tuesday and sell it on saturday at their yardsales for a profit.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

People give pretty good stuff to the goodwill, then storeworkers, not sure if they are volunteer, refurbish the goods and price items, then rich selfish penny pincher types come in and pay retail thinking they are getting a deal and saving money, lol lol.

Actually Goodwill industries primary objective is job training and placement for individuals with disabilities. As for dealing with goodwill or any other charitable organization purchases are not about getting a steal of a deal it is about patronizing an organization that provides a valuable service to the community.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know that my daughter has an online book selling business and she shops at a couple of Good Wills picks them up for 2.50 all day long and sells them for going rate online, I did go with her once their was some good deal to be had.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've never been to a Goodwill store but our local Salvation Army stores are dirt cheap.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I'll also wager a bet that Goodwill employees, family, and friends get a lot of the good stuff before it ever hits the shelves.

a70eliminator

Captain

I'll also wager a bet that Goodwill employees, family, and friends get a lot of the good stuff before it ever hits the shelves.

I wouldn't mind a hand me down 48" high def. Anyone got one you'd like to give me for christmas.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Actually Goodwill industries primary objective is job training and placement for individuals with disabilities. As for dealing with goodwill or any other charitable organization purchases are not about getting a steal of a deal it is about patronizing an organization that provides a valuable service to the community.

Yes, it's about supporting people who are less well off then you - in ways other than financial as well. They stores aren't pawn shops, the proceeds go to help those in need. If you think something is unreasonably priced, then let the manager know. They're not out for massive profits but rather to make money fairly on goods others as willing to buy at a fair price.

Remember that the store still has the normal overhead that has to be paid. Also remember when you take something there for donation - they can't use junk. Some people use these type of organzations as an alternative to the dump. When you give, ask yourself if you would want the torn smelly, pet stained couch in your home.

Ok, I'll get off of my soap box, just want people to understand the purpose of these stores. Basically, it's an opportunity to recycle used goods with the proceeds going to those in need. St. Vincent De Paul Society is another organization that does the same thing.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Interesting topic. I was suprised recently when on a very prime piece of land a good will store was built in an upscale area. I thought it seemed out of place. I have never been in there but the parking lot is generally packed with cars. I have heard they also get the Target overflow.

gonefishie

Commander

Interesting topic. I was suprised recently when on a very prime piece of land a good will store was built in an upscale area. I thought it seemed out of place. I have never been in there but the parking lot is generally packed with cars. I have heard they also get the Target overflow.

I too was suprised when one popped up in my hometown on primo commercial space. I think the logic is that stores located in upscale areas get more usable goods. The shoppers come from a long way to shop at these stores.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I have bought lots of clothes at Godwill here in Michigan at near yard sale prices.
The rest of the stuff they have is near junk though.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

for riding the bicycle best windbreaker i ever had, $3.00.
warm as can be and packs small.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

They do provide a good service and if their employees take home some of the stuff you donate, big deal. they are probably still much worse off then most people.

the ones that get me are the ones who sit but the drive to go drop stuff off and when you pull up they ask "hey you donating that?" "I really need one of those" the other day I went to drop off a couple items, and happened to have a large parrot cage in my truck(the cage was not being dropped off). a fellow asked if I would give it to him instead of dropping it off. I said sure, it's for sale. Told him the price and he promptly drove away after saying "well i didn't want to pay for it"

Nandy

Commander

I have a family member that works in a similar store. I can tell you she or anyone of the other employees does not take anything home. At least in this store. She does the pricing and yes they do price stuff high. The things is, either you pay that price of call the manager and get it a lower price. It is up to you.
Pawn shops also gets me. Stuff there is also pretty much at the same price as retail. They obviously do not live off the sales but off the loans...