Opinion on purchasing BR: Bayliner/Sea Ray/Monterey

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice
All,

I'm looking to purchase a new boat and would appreciate some input. The boats I'm currently looking at are:

2009 Bayliner 205 (MC 4.3L MPI 220 Hp and A1 leg, sport seating & ext Swim Platform).

2010 Sea Ray 205 (MC 5.0 L MPI 260 Hp and A1 leg - standard boat - no extras).

2009 Monterey 194 FS (MC 5.0 L MPI 260 HP and Bravo 3 drive, Wake tower & ext Swim Platform).​

All are brand new - cost wise (am in Euros) - the Bayliner is the least expensive. Its looking like the Sea Ray and Monterey will cost around 5000 euro more than the Bayliner (the Monterey may be slightly less than the SR).

Im looking for a boat to take the kids out in the odd friend or two, wakeboarding, tubing and a bit of bay to bay crusining on flat (ish) seawater. I don't know a great deal about the Bravo 3 and have never seen a Monterey before. I've heard that the B3 is very good and as the Monterey already has a wake tower in the price, it is appealing.

Though a very open question, what's people's thoughts on Monterey and which would you choose?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Opinion on purchasing BR: Bayliner/Sea Ray/Monterey

I would go with the Monterey any day of the week. They are really nice boats. With the Bravo 3, tower and extended platform it makes it a no brainer. The only consideration is if there is any significant difference in the room available inside the boat. I haven't looked at the specs, but since the Monterery model number is 194 it could be as much as a foot shorter than the Bayliner or SeaRay.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can't really comment on the specific boats you are looking at -but I do have a Monterey (1998) - it is in excellent shape - Monterey seems to pay great attention to detail. No complaints. I'm actually looking to sell it and trade up to a bigger boat - which will also be a Monterey.

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. It is indeed a foot shorter - saying that any info I've found so far says that the Monterey feels deceptively spacious due to its breadth. However, part of me is thinking I could easily live with that for the savings I could make on the tower and the Bravo 3 drive. Does anyone have any idea what the performance of this boat would be like for towing - as what I've read says that a Bravo 3 definitely improves holeshot.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I could afford those 3, I am going with #3 due to the Bravo, tower, and I bet it tows better. Its not like option 1 & 2 are two feel longer, just foot longer, so they offer no huge increase in space.

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice

Willy thats what I figured - but friend reckons it would end up costing more to run and maintain, and that I would really need 300 Hp + to get real benefit from Bravo III. I'm just getting confused, but instinct says the Monterey + B III even though never tried either.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have owned all three brands and currently own a Monterey 322cr. The build quality and attention to detail offered by Monterey is by far better. I am not sure about the European market but Monterey offers very good customer service as well.

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice

I viewed the Monterey today - it was actually a 2008 new not a 2009. Saying that - it looked like a nice boat. I'm now waiting to see if he's willing to accept what I am willing to offer.

If so, it would mean a 2008 Monterey 195 FS, 5.0 V8 MPI 260 Hp with Bravo III, a wake tower and extended platform for less than a 2009 Bayliner 205 4.3 MPI 220 Hp without a tower.

Would this be a good deal stateside?

Also any monterey 194 FS owners out there who could comment on their trailer. The one I saw is a "magic tilt" - galvanised dual axle with disc brakes, but the bunks and the boat seem to overhang the rear of the trailer by quite a bit - is this normal?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You don't buy a boat to be an investment, but stateside ....

The Monterey name would hold value better than the Bayliner name

The tower would add over a grand to the resale (play with NADA values and add a tower to any boat)

The maintenance costs would be the same (alpha or bravo) -- plus with this website your going to learn how to do a lot of it yourself.

The gas usage depends on how its propped, how you are running the boat, load, etc. I don't know how significant the gas savings from the V6 would be. When I spend a week at the lake with my V6 in a lighter boat, I use a lot of gas!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The Monterey sounds like the best deal if you can get it for less than the Bayliner or Searay....The Bravo 3 is a huge plus too.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tower and Platform only could run you an extra 3000-4000$, I think thats enough to base a decision on!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remember garaging a tower is not easy, or covering one. if it is a fold down tower go for it.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Not to jump on the bandwagon but IMO, Monterey package is the winner in my eyes. I really disliked and was truly disapointed by the new Sea Rays I looked at last year when comparing the price to what you actually got. That Bayliner is just not in the same class as the other 2 especially given the B3 set up on the Monterey. All that said Monterey's are a rare site in my region so at least here, the name/branding would be lost.

Rumley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't count out the bayliner yet. They make the flight series that comes with a waketower that comes off very easily. Now I'm not sure if they have that in Europe or not but they do in Canada. It's a very nice package for what you pay. The bravo drive is a better drive but it is also more expensive if you find some hard water. The montery does sound like the better dealbut j still would take a look at the flight series before you make your decision.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Doesn't sound like he is looking at the flight series. If he was it would more likely be more money, maybe as much as the Monterrey, at which point I would still recommend the Monterrey. Drive package is still nicer and based on the info given, I would buy the Monterey any day over the other two. I am not that impressed with the sub 21 foot Sea Rays any more. Seems like they are getting cheap on the finishes and parts compared to some of the others and relying on their name a bit too much.

AJ163

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you to all who have expressed an opinion - its greatly appreciated. I think at the moment as per the consensus I'm definitely favouring the Monterey. However, someone, think it was Jkust.....summed it up well......the Monterey name as a brand is not well known here amongst sports boats - but it looked great and from what some of the guys have said it should also go great.

Tashasdaddy.....it is indeed a fold down tower (and a very nice looking one at that). Sebber........if only that it was 4000 dollars. Here, they quote euros, so for a flight package you're looking at 6,000 dollars.....and yes not the flight package Bayliner I've been looking at, but is has the same options minus the wake tower.

Rumley....it is basically the flight package, minus the wake tower, but the Monterey dealer got back to me and i could have the 2008 Monterey194 FS with more horsepower from V8 and Bravo III drive and wake tower fitted, with almost as much space as the 2009 Bayliner 205, for same price as the 205 with a 220 HP engine, Alpha drive and no wake tower.

Looking round them I couldn't find fault with the Monterey, yet the Bayliner already has gaps in the rubber beading around the windshield and parts where its coming away, yet its not even been out the showroom yet. I know thats a fairly easy fix.....but its not a cheap boat and to see that in the showroom was a bit disconcerting.

Also, cheers for the comments from the Chapparal owners....it was interesting to note what you guys have said ref the Sea Rays(almost identical), as that has mirrored what I've thought so far, as in nice boat, but basic......no sort of WOW factor. I may reconsider that, but at the moment, completely agree.

Will let you know how I fare.....thanks for the views.

AJ