What prop do you run?

I have a 1999 Skeeter SX210 with a 1999 Yamaha 225 on it and would like some input on getting a new prop. What do you guys run? I tournament bass fish and do have a fair amount of gear I haul. The prop that is on the boat now has no pitch or dia markings on it at all. I have looked inside and out for it and nothing, I don't even know the brand name. It has been rebuilt as the marking that are there indicate that. The boat now will do 70 mph @ 5400 rpm on GPS. Just looking for a direction do go in.

Triton II

Commander
Re: What prop do you run?

Hey Scott,

You can easily measure diameter, which is a start. I suggest a search of the exisiting prop threads - there's plenty of info available and I've no doubt you'll find a prop calculator that'll help. Maybe start with this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365653

basically if you can borrow a prop with marked sizes (visually compare it to yours for pitch) then you should be able to come to a close guess at pitch.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A prop shop will be able to measure pitch and let you know what it is quickly. As for the best style prop, there are general guidelines. Some Skeeters need help with bow lift. If you have to run a lot of "up" or positive trim to carry the bow then a prop with bow lift will help. We generally use a Turbo Lightning in a 3 blade or a Ultima 4 or Fusion 4 in a 4 blade.

If you need little positive trim to carry the bow (the boat has natural bow lift) then we use the TXP series props in 3 blade and the SQX OT4 series in 4 blade.

If you're looking for absolute top speed with a relatively light load, you'll look at one type of prop. If you're looking for load carrying ability in tournament mode, you may be looking at a different style of prop.

walleyehed

Admiral

Bump.....
I'd like to hear some thoughts from the original poster as I have a like situation with a 519 Ranger-200HO FI.:)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Kenny, we've recently had good luck with the Fusion 4's on the Ranger Bay boats. Generally speaking they bite hard enough that if the boat normally turns a 25 U-4 we go to a 23 Fusion.