Can an engine start first pull every time?

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It takes 7-8 pulls with me adjusting the choke and throttle to get my boat started. After that it runs fine. You have to have the magic touch and know exactly how to manipulate the choke and throttle inorder to get it stated. If another guy starts my motor is takes forever. My question is can a boat be made to start first pull, every time? Why or why not?
Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can an engine start first pull every time?

all of mine start 1st or 2nd, pull. proper tuning is essential. proper starting procedure helps. see top secret file.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While it may not start on the first pull every time, there is no reason it shouldn't start on the second or third pull every time. That is unless you never tune the engine, never treat the fuel, and don't use the proper starting procedure. It is amazing how many folks simply can't get that right whether it's a lawn mower, snow blower, weed whacker, chain saw or any other gas engine. If modern cars weren't fuel injected many folks would never get their car out of the garage.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Almost all mine start on the first or 2nd pull also and they're all 50 years old or so.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

While it may not start on the first pull every time, there is no reason it shouldn't start on the second or third pull every time. That is unless you never tune the engine, never treat the fuel, and don't use the proper starting procedure. It is amazing how many folks simply can't get that right whether it's a lawn mower, snow blower, weed whacker, chain saw or any other gas engine. If modern cars weren't fuel injected many folks would never get their car out of the garage.

I wish all modern boats were fuel injected. Always one issue or another with these things. The trouble I have starting a 2 stroke outboard/lawnmower/chainsaw in the cold, I never have with my car. It's never failed to start with the first crank, every day, for 15 years. Compared to a boat of equal vintage, where that has successfully started on the first crank only twice, and needed repairs over and over again. I don't understand why cars are so much more reliable starters and runners than boats.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'll take a carb anyday. Can rebuild one in an hour with a $25 carb kit... Fuel injected = $$$.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

. I don't understand why cars are so much more reliable starters and runners than boats.
Cars arnt run WOT for extended periods of time, well most arnt;)

jbjennings

Captain

It takes 7-8 pulls with me adjusting the choke and throttle to get my boat started. After that it runs fine. You have to have the magic touch and know exactly how to manipulate the choke and throttle inorder to get it stated. If another guy starts my motor is takes forever. My question is can a boat be made to start first pull, every time? Why or why not?
Thanks

Heh, heh,
My boat always starts moving on the first pull----it's my outboards that can be hard to start running.:)

I have johnsons and evinrudes and if they aren't running in 3 pulls, they're broken. They aren't usually broken. My '55 10hp and '56 10hp motors (both johnsons) invariably start within 2 pulls, usually the first. So do all the rest.
What motor do you have? There are many mercury and OMC experts here that can probably tell you what the problem is with your motor that is causing it to be hard to start cold.
I hate a hard to start motor, too!!!!!
My father has a 2007 yamaha 25hp that he couldn't get started the other day and was giving him problems, previously. It had a missing idle stop screw in the top carb, a loose shifter adjustment screw, and the choke plates were not closing all the way when the choke was pulled. After fixing those problems, it was much easier to start cold, idled correctly, and shifted into reverse correctly for the first time ever. I should have looked at it a lot sooner but he wouldn't bring it over to my shop until recently.
JBJ

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cars arnt run WOT for extended periods of time, well most arnt;)

Well, I'd still suppose that the car has been WOT as much time out of the year as the boat. Maybe only 5% of the time I use it, but it's used day in and day out versus the boat only being used in the summer months so the overall WOT time should be about the same. Plus WOT for the boat is only around 4k rpm, where the car is run at 3k rpm most of the day on the freeway and up to 7.5k rpm when its really WOT.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

again, proper tune up. clean carbs, timing, new gas, compression. motors with low compression are extremely hard to start. also proper starting procedure. 90% it is human error.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and most folks simply dont remember points,manual chokes and 6v positive ground systems that autos used in bygone years nor the starting issues with them.
with modern EFI motors you simply can stand outside the window and turn the key and it starts or its broke regaurdless of ambient temps.
modern EFI outboards are identical in that respect.
most modern carbed engines above the 25hp range use similar turn key starting such as the yamaha prime start.
it either starts by turning the key or its broke.
the key to the old fifties outboards,merc excluded, is decent state of tune,make sure the crank seals havent deteriorated over time and correct starting procedure to include both manual choke and throttle advance.
with our fine E fuels we are seeing some of the older stuff with deteriorating crank seals and orings.
also some manufacrtures are painting the inside of water seperators and VST tanks and this fine fuel dissolve said paint and feeds it through the system creating problems.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Temperature Starting Procedures

Temperature Starting Procedures

Should start first, second or third pull at most, if all tech issues are ok, maybe it's a environment starting issue, check 3 ways to start engines according to exterior temperature, my engines are always in opt condition (1-2) works well for me, a matter of trying out the one that suits best your working temperature. Don't forget a vigorous pull!! :D

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Starting Procedures.JPG
    Starting Procedures.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 2

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both my 15 hp Force and 9.9 Johnson start on first or second pull ... According to my mecanic that's the way it should be. Nevertheless he also mentioned most people dont follow the proper starting procedure for 2 strokes engines.

coolguy147

Commander

my outboard willl start on 3 pulls sometimes 4-5 if i let it sit more than 2-3 weeks. i put stabil in. of course its 50years old soon to going to 51 years of age.

i find that the older outboards run better than the new ones:rolleyes: because they dont maintain then!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As already stated. Proper tuning and starting procedure make a huge difference.

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one that used to be very hard to start from the day I got it (used)... I spent hours trying to find the problem until a old timer (and I'm no sping chicken....) asked if I'd checked the 'starter timing".... I had no idea what he was talking about.

He explained to me that the pull starter had to be set where it was aligned properly with the dogs that spin the flywheel, which had to be aligned with some mark on the case.... never did quite understand what he meant... but he came over and took the starter apart, put it back together and ended up shortening the pull cord about 8 inches..... that engine has started on the first or second pull everytime since. He stated that a past owner or mechanic had replaced the pull cord and not set it at the proper length....

Still doesn't make sense to me but by god it worked....