Fitness Challenge???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fitness Challenge???

Wow, this thing got a lot of responces. I haven't had a chance to read everything in detail, but it seems that there is a lot of interest in doing this challenge. The real question I guess is how to handle it. I think using google spreadsheet it a good idea, but I've never done it. Someone might have to take the lead and show us newbies how to use it.

As for the measurement.....I don't know if purchasing a body fat measurement is a requirement. I mean I know its the best for measurement of overall fitness, but maybe we should use Body Mass Index calculations. It takes into account your height and weight.

I'm wide open to suggestions as well as for volunteers for help on maintaining the data.

And yes I agree this should be a "gentleman's bet".

That BMI thing isn all its cracked up to be as muscle is far heavyer than fat

BF

Lieutenant

A group of us from work did this starting in the fall... How it worked was the actual weight was not important, but what was important was the week-to-week change. Friday AM's was weigh-in... people emailed their weights to the guy organizing it and he'd calculate the % change in weight for the week and sent out an update. Of course everyone could figure their own % if they are half competent in math. The person with the largest % change from their starting weight after 10 weeks was declared the winner. We did it with a $10 a head entrance fee. Wifey won the pot and donated it to the local Christmas Cheer Board... I finished 2nd (smart enough to not finish ahead of the Mrs). I lost more lbs, but a smaller %.

Having a regular "weigh in" day/time REALLY helped keeping us on target. Also note, weights will vary by several lbs during a day, so people should weigh themselves in as similar conditions as possible from week to week.

I highly recommend doing this! Now there is 25lbs less of me than before and I feel WAY better.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been as high as 275# and and as low as 165# and am hanging at 185# as i cant really train hard anymore

AND I WOULD REALLY advise you guys and gals you really dont need to do anything more than walk 30 to 45 minutes a day at least 5 days a week and do some work with LIGHT weights ;)

tandem.jpg

I am paying a very high price at 53 for the 25 years i stayed at a high level of fitness and just got some BAD news from the rheumatologist about KNEE issues from beating up my body from running
that bike's all you need right there, you will find nothing better and i mean that.
you got a little age under your belt, your overweight, little out of shape and maybe even smoke.
now your going go out there and run?
kiss your knees goodbye, all that extra wieght banging down on them plus maybe a heart attack.
you just started and won't have a good stride worked out yet and the knees will take a beating.
running is what i did and out west banging thru the bumps just about had me in tears, could't do it.
switched to the bike and legs are in great shape now, can do a 100 mile ride anytime you want.
walking/hiking and bicycle that is all you need.
forget timing yourself, doesn't matter just doing it does.
you can eat as much and anything you want, the key is burning more than you intake it is that simple.

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

Im at the gym training 5 days a week, every week, no exceptions. Eat big + lift big = get big. Currently 6'4" 235lbs and gaining!!!! Long term goal is 245lbs with body fat around 8-9%. I've got a LONG way to go though, currently body fat is more like 16%.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

i have lost 20 lbs. i in the process of having my teeth extracted, and getting dentures when you can chew, some things, you loose weight. the thing i miss most is actually SALAD.

I think I found the 20lbs. you lost:(

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

There's no need to kill oneself at the gym trying to "pump up" or reach some unrealistic and potentially unachievable goal.

The most successful weight loss goals are achieved from a good high fiber, low fat diet. Nutritional too! Talk with your family doctor or a nutritionist and find out for yourself.

There are no shortcuts and no reason to overdo... especially for those of us who are seniors and run injury risks.

It's all about balance in the approach. Calorie reduction combined with light-to-moderate exercise will yield fantastic results.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

don't put that last spoonful in your mouth.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like there's interest. Let's just keep this simple for now. Tomorrow we'll post our weights, heights, ages. Then I will try to get them on google spreadsheets. Each Friday we'll post our weights and track the weight loss by percent. We continue this until an agreed upon date. At the end the person with the largest percentage of weight loss will be crowned "Iboats Biggest Loser".

So how does that sound? Anyone have a suggestion for how long to do this?

FBPirate95

Sounds good to me. Everyone agree for January 1st as the start date?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Sounds good to me. Everyone agree for January 1st as the start date?

"NO", let there be time to sober up and relax, will ya please, because theres a big party planned.:D

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will play but since I have been on a diet for the last 12 years (due to diabetes)no I am not on insulin mine is weight control with a complete change in what I eat I have gone from 225 down to 179(walking 3 miles a night) and all this year been at 177-182 but I would like to get to 170 won't be the biggest loser but I want to be a loser:D

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

just had my physical at the v.a. and everything right on, thank you up there!
this old man is 65.5 years old stand 6'2" and weigh 195 ugly as hell and fart a lot. lol
thanks up there again.
when as a child had polio, strep throat and tosillitis then rheumatic fever which lead to something called st vitus dance.
muscles didn't work right and had to deal with that but no heart trouble.
you would never know it now and again thanks man.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I weighed myself at the gym last night using an old doctor-type scale with the slidey weights. Suprisingly I'm only 197 lbs. (5' 10", 36" waist, 45 yr) Thought I'd weigh more since until recently I wasn't getting much of any exercise and eating and drinking anything I wanted.

I seem to be in this range where I never break 2 bills, no matter how sloppy I get, but last year when I was working out at the gym and watching what I ate for several months I only got down to 189 (briefly, mostly I was in the low 190s). So it's going to be tough to get to an ideal weight of around 170.

So the official starting weigh-in is Jan. 1? Great, I'll suspend my gym workouts and go crazy over the holidays so I have a higher % to lose. I'll break that 200 lb barrier yet :D

kei9th

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i dont know if this has been said but cardio is the goal to losing weight. if you dont get your heart pumping your not doing anything to help reach a goal. walking will get you heart going but 20 minutes 3 times a week will do little or nothing. light weights and high reps will help tremendously. i started 2 months ago at the gym with my sister. i was very discourage at first because there is little or no wieght loss, after 8 weeks i have only dropped 8 pounds. thats 8 clean pounds that dosent come back no matter what even if i cheat. also no alcohol. NONE!!! im in for this deal after the first ill do it. remember cardio even if you have to swim get your heart pumping.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Being a web developer I knew there had to be a web site out there that would let us set up a group weight loss challenge. A quick google found one http://weightlosswars.com/howitworks I have a few too many irons in my online fire already at the moment, anyone (FBPirate maybe?) want to take the initiative to set us up on that site (or on a similar site if you find one better)? Could be a cool way to track everything as a group.

FBPirate95

I'll take the lead and work on finding a site. Based on feedback I see people would like to start after the beginning of the year. January 3rd is the first Monday of the year and gives everyone some time to sober up, relieve the headaches and get over the memories of what they did New Year's Eve. I think this would be a good start date. Until then I'll work on getting a site to track this on.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I'll take the lead and work on finding a site. Based on feedback I see people would like to start after the beginning of the year. January 3rd is the first Monday of the year and gives everyone some time to sober up, relieve the headaches and get over the memories of what they did New Year's Eve. I think this would be a good start date. Until then I'll work on getting a site to track this on.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. My liver and grey matter applaude you:D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

i dont know if this has been said but cardio is the goal to losing weight. if you dont get your heart pumping your not doing anything to help reach a goal. walking will get you heart going but 20 minutes 3 times a week will do little or nothing. light weights and high reps will help tremendously. i started 2 months ago at the gym with my sister. i was very discourage at first because there is little or no wieght loss, after 8 weeks i have only dropped 8 pounds. thats 8 clean pounds that dosent come back no matter what even if i cheat. also no alcohol. NONE!!! im in for this deal after the first ill do it. remember cardio even if you have to swim get your heart pumping.
DIET is the key to weight loss. You can run/jump/swim a hundred miles a day, but if you're still taking in too many calories, you'll gain weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.