'82 16' Sylvan aluminum boat, floor replacement materials

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I started this project thinking that I had a small section of floor to replace, at this point I think all but the elevated deck is bad. The previous owner let the cover go bad and the drain plug got blocked. I also need to replace the transom.

At this point I think that I'm ripping it all out in the spring (unfortunately no inside workspace). I have heard a few schools of thought.... regular plywood coated in fiberglass resin, Home Depot exterior plywood with no coating, marine plywood, and the only common thought... stay away from wolmanized. I was also told to go to home depot and buy rubber backed carpet instead of the Bass Pro/Cabellas boat carpet.

The Home Depot plywood commenter said that the fiberglass resin would serve to hold in any water that penertated the surface therefore making it rot quicker. Another commenter said to use exterior plywood or even regular plywood coated in resin and be sure to put resin in any hole that was drilled.

I'm just looking for expert advice from you guys who may have already done it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: '92 16' Sylvan aluminum boat, floor replacement materials

Re: '92 16' Sylvan aluminum boat, floor replacement materials

Hey hotrod, Welcome to Iboats! I just wanted to let you know that the specific manufacturer sections on here don't see a lot of action. For any question you have that isn't specific to your Sylvan hull, you'd be better off posting it in one of the major sections. I'm going to move this one to the Restoration section so you'll get better answers. Again, welcome.