What do I need for my maiden voyage?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What do I need for my maiden voyage?

Looks like you have a good start. Do some searching here as there are lots of lists like this. I have a couple of quickie suggestions to add.

Need a throwable type of life preserver too, required.

I always recommend adding the thrust washer. If it comes off with the damaged prop (grease will make it stick to the most forward area of the prop) and if it drops in the water, you are screwed . . .

Also, some sort of tool kit for minor quickie repairs. Wire stripper, connectors, loose wire. Screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, vice grips, electrical tape, zip ties, hose clamps etc.

3 - 4 Specific dock lines, 1 bow, 1 stern and 1 spring minimum. And a very long length to use for all kinds of things that will come up. I like 150 ft.

My favorite item on the boat, and I use it a lot, is a sewing kit . . . ;)

is the sewing kit for vinyl or skin????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

do not rely on a cell phone for emergency communications. Consider it non-functional in case of emergency, and figure out what you are going to do instead. This guy didn't:

December 16, 2009
The Coast Guard rescued a 30-year-old Virginia Beach man who was adrift this morning on the Chesapeake Bay in a disabled boat.

When Gary Anderson didn?t report for work last night, a friend contacted the Coast Guard, according to a news release from the agency. Anderson told the friend earlier in the day that he was going fishing.

The Coast Guard contacted Anderson?s cell phone company and learned he had been about five miles from Thomas Point Shoal Light when he made a phone call Tuesday morning, the release says.

The Coast Guard sent a helicopter and a rescue boat and the Maryland Natural Resources Police launched a boat to search for Anderson, the release says.

About 4 a.m. today, one of the rescue boat crews located Anderson about five miles south of the Bay Bridge in Maryland.

Anderson told the crew that the 21-foot boat had been disabled Tuesday and had been adrift for nearly 20 hours, the release says.

Anderson was taken to the Coast Guard?s station in Annapolis where he was met by his wife, the release says. He declined medical treatment.

did he lose his anchor ? ..or is the water to deep there to anchor up ??

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I made a checklist.... I knew I'd be too pumped up and would probably overlook something. Also....I triple checked to make sure the drain plug was in and put the meter on the battery the night before....

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If this is the Maiden voyage, you gotta chrissen her and give her a name,
also food and drink is good to bring along:)

ziggy

Admiral

Ayuh,.... Numero, ouno, #1, is a Coast Gaurd approved Safe Boating course....

It in itself will answer the rest of your questions....
that's the right answer for sure...

i also did me a list...

1 ea. adult orange life jackets, jim, carol, zack pfd's
whistle, + air horn
2 ea. oars
bailing bucket
fire extinguisher, uscg approved type B-1
orange waterski flag
2 ea. blue throw cushions
registration

trash can with liner
4 ea. dock lines
4 ea. dock bumpers
2 ea. pwc bumpers
misc. lines
2 anchors, 150' of line., 50' + 100'
swim ladder
personal pfds
pee bucket/ bailing bucket
aft curtain
tool kit
service manual, clymers
boat hook
binoculars
cell phone
lounge chairs
spare prop, prop nut, prop wrench, thrust washer & lock tab
service rags/ paper towels
lead additive
2 ea. qt. of 25W45 mercruiser motor oil
ashtray

that's my base item list. i have more onboard too, specially as the summer wears on ya add more. but that's what i start out with at the very least..

do yer list on your computer. i've got a whole bunch of lists and tables i keep on my boat on my computer. maint, winterization, base item lists, boat log, compression tests from past years, and more... something to do in the winter time while dreaming of boating.. ;)

Nandy

Commander

Congratulations on your boat! You must post photos, we tend to frown if you dont! lol!

I have an iPhone, so I have a make shift GPS.

As someone mention before, the navigation course will answer your question and I am happy to see that you are taking that step. I bit on the GPS ...

Do you know you will have signal for your phone? Once your phone signal is gone so are the maps that you use on your iphone. I'm not even sure that once the Iphone losses the datalink provided by the cell sites the phone will be able to give you your coordinates. Also, being that it is an a-gps and not a gps im sure satellite acquisition will be real slow. Some other phones will not even work as gps without the cell network. GPS are very cheap now only you are looking for one with all the whistles and bells. Get you a hand held unit if you are going to be boating anywhere that you can get lost. If you will be boating in a small lake then a gps is mostly not needed.
Im assuming this is a lake boat and wont be going to the ocean, but if I am wrong get you one of those satellites beacons gadgets, lost of lives would have been saved in the last years if people use them.

Twinz

Cadet

Thanks for all the ideas. FYI I will most likely be on the Connecticut River up in Western Mass so cell phone coverage won't be a problem. Boat has been christened and named (see my member name) before we put her away for winter. I will most likely take my friend who has been boating for years. I will post pics on D-Day :D

Bifflefan

Commander

Im gonna add one,

"Warmer weather" :D

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

With all the gear and advice you got on this board,
YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A BIGGER BOAT!

:D:D:D

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OK, so I'm not quite as fastidious as most.​

You need to meet legal requirements - title/registration for boat and trailer and Coast Guard equipment.
http://www.nyss.com/federal.html

The only other things would be an anchor w/ 7:1 scope for the waters you'll be plying, and unlimited towing from Boat/US along with a means of communication (your iPhone is fine). An experienced trailerboater would make a nice companion, but it's not rocket science.​

As another poster noted, bring your patience and sense of humor and you'll be fine.​

If things don't go your way - take her back home and give it a shot again when you get stuff ironed out.

You can decide what other junk you want to take with you as you gain experience.​

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Tons of patience. If you do not have trailer experience, you will want to practice backing up in an empty parking lot or a COMPLETELY empty ramp. Once you are comfortable backing up, watch others at the ramp and the procedures that work or don't work in launching (It won't take long to figure out what doesn't work, lots of folks will demonstrate this). Don't go too far on the maiden voyage, you will gain lots of confidence in time.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Lots of good info suggested so far. I skimmed down though the responses but didn't see anyone suggest a leaving a "float plan" with someone back on shore.

A "float plan" is simply letting someone know where you will be and what time you will be back. That way, in case something happens someone will know when and where to start looking.

We never go out without someone knowing our "float plan" just in case.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If this is the Maiden voyage, you gotta chrissen her and give her a name,
also food and drink is good to bring along:)

I agree that a christening is important as well as fun. Get as many people involved in the christening as possible. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't have to be done on your maiden voyage or even on/near the water. Mine was done in the drive.

Is it really necessary? I think so, but only King Neptune knows for sure.

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What not to take:

The kids;
the neighbor's kids;
the dog;
toys;

-------------------

don't forget to put the plug in before you launch

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What not to take:

The kids;
the neighbor's kids;
the dog;
toys;

-------------------

don't forget to put the plug in before you launch

The "what not to take list", brilliant!!

robert graham

Admiral

My wife and I cruise the St.Johns River in Fl. and we always carry this one plastic waterproof box with:Cell phone, Rolaids, Tylenol, Sudafeds, nail clippers,Knife, nail file, tooth brushes, toothpaste, dental floss, soap to wash hands, super glue, Kleenex/wipes, Change$$, flashlight, pen/pencil, alcohol for cuts, band-aids, etc., everything you're gonna need and suffer without. Think about it!

toplesshorse

Cadet

Good luck. Also, drive the boat into the water still attached to the trailer. Open the back deck and look for any water coming in. Put the plug in lol. We have all made this mistake. I also carry a electric meter in my tool box with fuses and a lot of other stuff. If you have a meter some wire and electrical tape you can do on water repairs and get back to the dock. I have had to use it a couple of times.

Lostreb

Cadet

I seen a marine radio mentioned a couple times in here, but there are places where there is no one there to hear a help request on a marine band. Not all waters have that luxury. My idea a long time ago was a simple CB radio and good 8 foot whip to go with it. I had to use that radio more than once when my old boats broke down. I am restoring an old boat right now and the first electrical item that will be added will be a CB after it's water ready!