Fore !!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Fore !!!

Famous people aren't really much different than you or I. The primary difference is that we don't have the press in our face 24/7 and we don't have to live our lives in a fishbowl.

Conversely, with the riches and lavish lifestyle, goes the baggage of being famous and having little privacy. There isn't much in life that is free, so you just have to accept certain things as "coming with the territory."

???

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I can't believe you thought it was worth posting. Most people are sick of hearing about it all the time. Move on.
My thoughts exactly.

But......unfortunately it is news. Read a interesting take on it talking
about how in all his commercial endorsements he is portrayed as
"squeaky clean" and a "family man". He was quoted in a interview
as saying his family will always come first. He is probably one of the
last celebrities most people would pick as someone who would engage
in that kind of behavior. That's partly why it is such a big story. SAD.:(

At least this week our US Congress deliberating on the health care bill
seems to be right up there in the news with Tiger. Unless your watching
entertainment tonight.:rolleyes:

tallcanadian

Captain

Unfortunetaly, every sport has their bad apples. The thing that peeves me is they are suppose to be role models for kids and so on. And yes they are under the gun all the time but that is the life that they choose. Life is full of temptation, but it is either yes or no. No one is holding a gun to their heads to do wrong or right. It's moral decisions. I'm a Nascar fan and there are a couple of drivers who do nothing but verbally abuse team mates, etc. They curse and swear over their radios. I just wish they would stop and take time to remember that they are role models for may kids. So what are they teaching them? Anyway, my two cents worth.

gonefishie

Commander

I gotta disagree with you tallcanadian. They didn't volunteered to be under the microscope. The public put them under the scope. Did anybody paid to watch what they would do in their private time? No, we paid to watch what they do best. Nowhere on the ticket or the endorsement deal says you have the right to put your nose in their personal business. Celebs and atheletes are not role model. They didn't volunteered to be role model either. Charles Barkley said it best in a NIKE commercial a long time ago "I am not a role model". Celebs and atheletes didn't gave birth to all the kids. The parents of those kids are the ones that need to teach them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was born in Pinehurst, NC and grew up in Southern Pines, just a few miles away.

When I was a boy Pinehurst was the world capital of professional golf and I spent a lot of time on the courses (Pinehurst had four, Southern Pines had seven) and a lot of time in the company of pro golfers. . . single and married. My Mom was a widow and dated a lot of PGA dudes and gave cocktail parties attended by many. I paid close attention and learned a lot. Every reasonably good looking woman in the county was looking for a pro golfer to seduce. They were the rock starts of the era in my part of the country.

Many pro tour golfers had a girl in every "port". They, and the girls, had enough class to keep their mouths shut about it.

In the 70s I sponsored a young golfer on the PGA tour and often was invited to tournaments where he made the cut. I was exposed to his pals and found exactly the same environment I had seen in the 40s.

I don't condone such behavior but I understand how it happens to guys who are on the road for most of the year. I refuse to condemn them, though I feel a bit less forgiving of the predatory women who bed them.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I gotta disagree with you tallcanadian. They didn't volunteered to be under the microscope.

In turn, I disagree with you. I think that is exactly what celebs do - they "volunteer" in a very big way. They know what the gig entails and they know that there is a very big price for the "fame & fortune." The price I am speaking of is lack of privacy. You can wish all day long for the National Enquirer and its ilk, not to do what they do, buts its folly to think that much will change.

I too get tired of what gets called journalism these days, but the entertainment reporters and mainstream reporters, who have long since stopped being journalists, aren't going to change any time soon. They are too busy becoming celebs themselves. They will do anything and report anything, as long as they get ratings.

Most importantly, it is "we" who feed the crap that is currently called "journalism," so we have no one to blame, but ourselves.

Most of all, however, don't forget that Tiger Woods has made about a billion dollars for hitting a little ball around and smiling in front of some cameras. Even with this issue, he will be just fine. He doesn't have to give one whit what anybody thinks - including the sponsors who are now sitting down to a $600 meal with their girlfriends (as in, not wives, who are at home), lamenting about how he has tarnished his image.

???

skargo

Banned

What cracks me up, is EVERY internet board or group or site or page I go to, there is a thread or threads just like this very one!

Apparently, we ARE interested in hearing about the misfortunes and missteps of others.

Like Don Henley says,

We can do the innuendo, we can dance and sing
When it's said and done, we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I gotta disagree with you tallcanadian. They didn't volunteered to be under the microscope. The public put them under the scope. Did anybody paid to watch what they would do in their private time? No, we paid to watch what they do best. Nowhere on the ticket or the endorsement deal says you have the right to put your nose in their personal business. Celebs and atheletes are not role model. They didn't volunteered to be role model either. Charles Barkley said it best in a NIKE commercial a long time ago "I am not a role model". Celebs and atheletes didn't gave birth to all the kids. The parents of those kids are the ones that need to teach them.
Neighbor, I have to respectfully side with tallcanadian.

Pro athletes ARE role models whether they like it or not.
When Charles Barclay said that I thought he was a fool.
Every little kid playing baseball, football, basketball, hockey,
etc. imagines he is their favorite star, hitting the game winning
home run, throwing the touchdown pass etc.

When they are the best at what they do they choose (or not)
to put themselves on center stage. They DID volunteer to be
under the microscope. No one forced them to sign those commercial
endorsements that puts millions of dollars in their pockets and
their faces in front of us each and every minute. With all that
$$$ I think should come some personal responsibility. Some can
deal with the fame and fortune some can't.

And no, the price of a ticket does not give us to the right to stick our
noses into their personal lives. THEY did that. No one put a gun to their
head and forced them onto that center stage.

I feel sorry for the ones that cannot handle or appreciate the good
fortune.
Or is it? Just my 2 cents.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

What cracks me up, is EVERY internet board or group or site or page I go to, there is a thread or threads just like this very one!

Apparently, we ARE interested in hearing about the misfortunes and missteps of others.

Like Don Henley says,

Human nature???:D

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Like Don Henley says,

Anyone want to (sshhh) wager on how many mods are keeping an eye on
this one?
(Pssst) JB's asleep.:D

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I bet the mods keep a close eye on all the topics in the Dockside Chat area.... I'm sure the lights will get turned off on this thread in the near future.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I bet the mods keep a close eye on all the topics in the Dockside Chat area.... I'm sure the lights will get turned off on this thread in the near future.

As long as everyone behaves themselves, this thread will do fine. Gee, I sound like a Mod! :eek::)

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

As long as everyone behaves themselves, this thread will do fine. Gee, I sound like a Mod! :eek::)
BEHAVE YOURSELVES EVERYONE.:D

The rules are posted, take a refresher course if needed.

And then yes, we will be fine.:p

Hey, now wimusky and I are both wannabee mods.:eek:

I think were ok until tomorrow, until JB wakes up.:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If everyone would just follow the one simplest dockside rule "BE NICE" we wouldn't have near the problems.....

skargo

Banned

Anyone want to (sshhh) wager on how many mods are keeping an eye on
this one?
(Pssst) JB's asleep.:D

Not sure what the problem is? :confused:

P.S. It seems one of my post disappeared from this thread, must be a board glitch...

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

With regards to celebrities being young people's role models, I think we suggest that they are ones to look up to, we suggest to emulate how they live and serve their public, but we are the ones making the biggest mistake of all. As parents, we are the role models. We are the one for our children to look up to. We should be living the life, walking the walk and setting examples of being good and honest people.
My 21 year old nephew was talking about how being an electrician will never allow him to make the money or have the babes, that a sports pro has. He said he should have stayed in hockey, practiced more, listened to his coaches who said he was "good enough" instead of jumping at the opportunity to become an electrician. Because the chances of making it to the NHL are about 100 to 1, and getting a trade is easier to attain. He is drooling over this Tiger stuff, calling him a fool. Not for doing it, but for being so stupid and getting caught.

I personally think that if we pay to see them, buy the products they endorse, they are responsible to our scrutiny just as any other employee. If the guy serving hamburgers at the local fast food outlet does something that embarrasses the company and its' image, then he would have to answer for what he's done. The company is Tiger's following, it's the PGA's image and the company is us, the paying public.

gonefishie

Commander

With regards to celebrities being young people's role models, I think we suggest that they are ones to look up to, we suggest to emulate how they live and serve their public, but we are the ones making the biggest mistake of all. As parents, we are the role models. We are the one for our children to look up to. We should be living the life, walking the walk and setting examples of being good and honest people.

That's what I'm talking about. While growing up, I tried my best to be like Mike on the court. I emulated everything he did on the court, except the tounge thing. The court and only on the court that I wanted to be like Mike. The greatest influences came from my parents.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Mike, Mike who? super stars are just that a star, and their light fades out over time.