Bought a starcraft! How hard are these to repaint?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking a rustoleum brush on job like I have seen others here do. Right now, it's been spray painted camo with rattle cans by the previous owner. It looks like he just sprayed a thin layer over the bare aluminum with no primer. Any special tools involved? Do most of you guys paint on the trailer or jury rig up some sort of stand for the boat?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bought a starcraft! How hard are these to repaint?

Rustoleum applied with a foam roller will come out great.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

After seeing EZ's and others here, foam rolling rustoleum will be my plan of attack. Getting it off the trailer and flipped seems to be the method of choice from what I've gathered from here.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Just picked up my rustoleum/foam rollers this evening. Now have to flip it

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh I'd rather not have to remove the motor/windshield and look for people to help me flip it. I was hoping I could paint the exposed parts of it, let it dry, then slide it down the trailer a bit and paint the newly exposed parts?

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Erik,
Post some pics so we can see the condition of the boats paint as it sits. Pics will get you dozens of responses from the Starcraft cult..I meant Club:D.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Dewax, sand, scuff and if you bare up any aluminum you will need to prime with zinc chromate primer. Rick will chime in since he knows the NAPA part numbers for a good primer.

My main concern is the paint that is there now. If there was not a proper primer over bare aluminum it may start to come off.

Our "normal" suggestion is to paint over the old paint but in your case I would be careful.

How big is the boat?

Got any pictures? ;)

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dewax, sand, scuff and if you bare up any aluminum you will need to prime with zinc chromate primer. Rick will chime in since he knows the NAPA part numbers for a good primer.

My main concern is the paint that is there now. If there was not a proper primer over bare aluminum it may start to come off.

Our "normal" suggestion is to paint over the old paint but in your case I would be careful.

How big is the boat?

Got any pictures? ;)

16', I think it's a jupiter. The paint IS starting to come off or will soon, I can flake it off with my fingernails in some areas. The boat hull is in surprisingly good condition. There's no dents and it has all the original emblems and decals. The windshield isn't original though. Here's a pic of the side. Not much, but you can see the camo spray can job the PO did. I'll have to wait till light to take more photos.

fjhx55.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay!! That was a previously factory painted boat.

De-wax, scuff up and paint away ;)

Any place you bare up the aluminum hit with a zinc chromate primer.

That hull does look clean ....... hmmmm cheapo camo!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Erik
your better off than some of us , with the condition of that hull. A nice canvas to work with for sure.

bananaboater

Ensign

You probably already know this, there is vinyl rub rail under that "camo" paint job. Someone here may have a clue how to get that paint off and not damage the vinyl, if that is important to you.

Albert

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I pained my boat on the trailer, didn't bother me, I just put a tarp under it so I didn't get paint on the driveway. I've got a roller trailer so after the paint was dry i just rolled the boat back a few inches so I could hit the spots under the rollers.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This barge was painted on the trailer..

I still need to finish the bottom, but will be easy to jack up the stern, let her dry then jack the bow..
I shoulda done that when I changed the bunks a couple months ago.

PIC-0412.jpg

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay!! That was a previously factory painted boat.

De-wax, scuff up and paint away ;)

Any place you bare up the aluminum hit with a zinc chromate primer.

That hull does look clean ....... hmmmm cheapo camo!

Thanks, I am GLAD to hear that. I won't have to spend hours and hours with paint stripper :p. The bare aluminum that was flaking off was trim pieces, I guess those came unpainted from the factory? I also have a roller trailer for this boat and almost all of the boat is exposed except a few parts on the very bottom. Do you guys use bottom paint? Should I cover the bottom with something like truck bed liner?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks, I am GLAD to hear that. I won't have to spend hours and hours with paint stripper :p. The bare aluminum that was flaking off was trim pieces, I guess those came unpainted from the factory? I also have a roller trailer for this boat and almost all of the boat is exposed except a few parts on the very bottom. Do you guys use bottom paint? Should I cover the bottom with something like truck bed liner?[/QUOTE]

Hi Erick..

If shes a trailer queen and not sitting in any brackish water for a long time..No need for bottom paint..

And Bedliner? Oh LORD NO:eek:
Bed liner is rough right? Wouldnt you want a nice smooooth bottom for water to slide under? The only place I have used bedliner was inside under my gunwales..

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

It'll be used in both fresh and salt, but won't be left overnight in the water. Should I use the same paint for bottom paint?

reelfishin

Captain

I painted a 14' Starcraft last spring, it was already stripped down when I got it. I scuffed it and washed it down with solvent, sprayed it with a coat of zinc chromate self etching primer, then rolled it with two coats of MAB Rust-O-Lastic silver gray which I had been given. I used the boat all summer and just sold it, and not a scratch on it and the finish looked like factory.
I got the rollers from Harbor Freight, their 4" el cheapo roller kit worked fine. I bought a few extra packs of rollers but only used two on the whole boat.
I plan to do this years boat the same way.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is that rust-o-leum paint thick enough to not run but thin enough to work with it'll spread easy? I was gonna paint my 21' Islander but might have to sell it first. How much of that paint would I need? Whats the cost? Now I'm torn between selling as is or painting and trying to get a little more or painting and keeping it...whats the best way to remove old bottom paint? The paint comes off if you rub it.

reelfishin

Captain

Any paint will run if you put it on too thick, but the MAB Rust O Lastic or even the Rustoleum paints are somewhat thick, they are thicker than say automotive paints you have mixed. I just use a foam roller and for the first color coat, simply try to lay on enough paint to completely cover the primer coat. You can then go back with a second coat to gain gloss and smoothness. You'll be surprised though at how well it will level out with a foam roller. I've done a few now and the paint finish rivals that of a sprayed paint job.