Boat trip from Rochester NY too Florida

westyboy

Recruit
Can anyone give me any advise please.
I am planning to take my boat from Lake Ontario too Florida, she is a twin engine Crusier and I don't want to put her on a trailer, but would like to sail her down.
Is this possible and what route would I take, Any help would be gratefully received

Martin

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat trip from Rochester NY too Florida

Your idea sounds like alot of fun but don't you think it would be alot cheaper and safer to trailer the boat? Thousands of dollars in fuel not to mention the waters kind of cold. Good luck,Ted

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

intracoastal waterway, but you will have to go "outside" for part of the trip.

size of the cruiser?

westyboy

Recruit

Hi Thanks to you both for your reply's.
Whilst I agree with going on the outside of the coast for part of the way, my main concern is from Lake Ontario down to New York. The boat is a 33' and draws a draft of 2.5'.
If we were to take her down by road, the Flybridge would have to be removed (& a cost of approx $10000 for transport) and as she is a old lady (1985) I am a little concerned that we may cause more trouble in the future.
But what a great way to see parts of the great USA if possible.
Any help with information on how, route, time of year to go.
I am looking at the spring on next year (2010) to start when water levals are high.

Thanks
Martin

tashasdaddy

not familiar with northern routes, buy are the canals with locks, to get to the ocean. you need to get some nautical maps, and study them. until they are memorized. plan fuel stops, lay overs, emergency stops for weather. then file a boat plan with someone, so they will know approximately when you are suppose to be.

do you have open water navigation skills. if not start classes.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The best thing you can do is go to this website and join the club/cult.
http://www.greatloop.org/

or google

"great loop"

and you will find every answer you can dream of.

There is a 30-mile stretch of open Atlantic Ocean south of New York harbor. Most loopers go up the Hudson River to Waterford and then take the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario

Attachments

• great loop.jpg
    great loop.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0

westyboy

Recruit

Hi
Thanks again for your reply.
I have just started a Navigration program the other week but thanks for that tip anyway.
If you think of any thing else drop me a note
Once again Thanks
Martin

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

That's awesome!

Think I could get my wife to come live on our new 18 ft bowrider for a while? ;-)

tashasdaddy

it is not a choice to go outside, in some areas you have to go outside.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

hope your retired or have alot of vacation time! thats a big trip :D

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Know a few people who did it from the NYC/ NJ. area. Say they wont do it again. Also know some that have done 110 miles from here to KEY WEST and wont do it again, so who knows. Long trip by car let alone a boat. You may not want to ever set foot on it again once you get it here. Can also strain relationships and crew members can jump ship around WILMINGTON NC. and take the GREYHOUND.
Do see empty drop center flat bed trucks trailers on I 95 that would be happy to be carrying something. Try talking to a truck broker that could find somebody running empty coming south. Even if they can only get it as far as JACKSONVILLE, TASHASDADDY can help you get it off the trailer and into the water. 10K sounds awful expensive to move a boat. regards FRED

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

It may be worthwhile to hire a captain who does the trip frequently....

it may make the trip safer...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think you are looking in the wrong direction. From Rochester, you have two choices - St. Lawrence Seaway to the Eastern Seaboard, or the Great Lakes to Chicago, The Illinois River, the Mississippi River, the Gulf of Mexico, to Florida. If you are bound for the east coast of Florida, you can take the Okeechobee Waterway across the state from Ft. Meyers.

Two of the advantages of this route are more time in enclosed waters and the ability to ride the river currents downstream, thereby reducing fuel burn.

???

Tommyfmu

Seaman

I can't be more helpful than what's already been said regarding the up North on the Hudson with all the locks et al, but a friend of mine makes the NY Harbor run to FL and back twice a year in a large cruiser. If you want me to ask what programs he uses or stops along the way, or when he darts in the intercoastal, let me know and I'll find out what I can.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Can you get from Rochester to the Hudson?

???

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I think you are looking in the wrong direction. From Rochester, you have two choices - St. Lawrence Seaway to the Eastern Seaboard, or the Great Lakes to Chicago, The Illinois River, the Mississippi River, the Gulf of Mexico, to Florida. If you are bound for the east coast of Florida, you can take the Okeechobee Waterway across the state from Ft. Meyers.

Two of the advantages of this route are more time in enclosed waters and the ability to ride the river currents downstream, thereby reducing fuel burn.

???

You do not have to go thru the St. Lawrence Seaway unless you have a boat that is too big. A "big" boat is between 26 and 32 feet, has a beam of 8-1/2 to 11 feet and draft under 4 feet. So, mega yachts are not recommended for the canals mentioned next.

Up the Hudson River to the Erie Canal to Rochester or take the Oswego Canal from the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario to go to Rochester. http://www.nyscanals.gov/maps/index.html

The loop is generally done counterclockwise or at least the western half is done that way since the western half is virtually all rivers flowing south. The eastern half is kinda neutral as it is mostly intracoastal, bays and canals without the river currents like the western half.
It is highly recommended that when traveling south on the western half to get off the upper Mississippi and get into the Tennessee Tombigbee waterway in route to Mobile. This removes recreational boaters from the lower Mississippi where barge traffic is dense and refueling, restocking and repair services are sparse. From Mobile, AL take the intracoastal east as far as it goes.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

OK, that changes things a bit. All of the meandering through the Great Lakes, might add enough mileage to make the fuel savings by running the rivers all the way down, a bit of false economy. This is especially true, if he is going to the east coast of Fla.

???

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

From Rochester to Buffalo thru Welland Canal, and then Erie Canal to Hudson.
Why go west thru the Erie Canal to go north up the Welland into Lake Ontario back to Rochester to get back into the Erie Canal going east?

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Why go west thru the Erie Canal to go north up the Welland into Lake Ontario back to Rochester to get back into the Erie Canal going east?

You may be right, but can you get from lake Ontario into Erie Canal in Rochester?