electrical help

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Mother in law had an electrician install the dishwasher and insinkerator in her newly renovated kitchen. The dishwasher wouldn't drain so she called the electrician to come back and check it but he never showed and keeps coming up with excuses not to return.

She called me to see if I could help and I found the problem, there was a knock out plug that had not been removed where the dishwasher drain hooks into the waste disposer. I don't like the way he wired it though, I'm no electrician but I be willing to bet it's not up to code.

The power supply for the waste disposer comes up through the base of the cabinet under the sink so he put a junction box on the floor of the cabinet, right where water could drip and pool!

So my question is what can I do to remedy the hazard? Can I use a "wet location" junction box there or what?

Thanks!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: electrical help

Use something waterproof and shield it as well. If in doubt call another electrician to be certain.
Just my 2 cents. How about a photo ??? it may help.
There may be a lot of folk wanting that electrician to do work for their mother in laws
though !!! LOL

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Fix the water leak so the receptacle stays dry. It is electrically up to code. Water under the sink will cause the cabinets to rot.

a70eliminator

Captain

Provided the insinkerator/dishwasher circuit has a GFI protection.
Sounds like the guy wasn't a much of a plumber either, forgot the ol knockout plug wow didn't it even get a test run.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Morning Mike-
I just pulled out the canadian elec code book and 22-2000 page 220 says were conductors are exposed to moisture(cat #1 condinsation, dripping or splashing) use a weather tight termination/ splice point.
or just call the electrical inspector monday, by the way did the electrician pull a permit? If he didnt rat his butt out.
I do telecom, so double check.
rob

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mother in law had an electrician install the dishwasher and insinkerator in her newly renovated kitchen.

She called me to see if I could help and I found the problem, there was a knock out plug that had not been removed where the dishwasher drain hooks into the waste disposer. I don't like the way he wired it though, I'm no electrician but I be willing to bet it's not up to code.

The power supply for the waste disposer comes up through the base of the cabinet under the sink so he put a junction box on the floor of the cabinet, right where water could drip and pool!

So my question is what can I do to remedy the hazard? Can I use a "wet location" junction box there or what?

Thanks!

Boy, a newly renovated kitchen and no receptacle or junction box on the back wall under the cabinet??? Shortsighted for sure.

I am no electrician, but have wired many a thing. Here in the states, newer appliances are coming equipped with cords and plugs so they are not hardwired, but plugged in , the plug serving as the disconnect for service.

I would move it to the back / sidewall of the cabinet. Any receptacle on the floor of the cabinet is a recipe for disaster. Ever seen what kitchen cleaners do to connections over time?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Morning Mike-
I just pulled out the canadian elec code book and 22-2000 page 220 says were conductors are exposed to moisture(cat #1 condinsation, dripping or splashing) use a weather tight termination/ splice point.
or just call the electrical inspector monday, by the way did the electrician pull a permit? If he didnt rat his butt out.
rob

I do not consider inside a cabinet, even under a sink to be exposed to moisture dripping or splashng. On the counter beside the sink is differnt.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I do not consider inside a cabinet, even under a sink to be exposed to moisture dripping or splashng. On the counter beside the sink is differnt.

Like I said I do telecom, "lineman" more than 3 wires less than 7200 (3600 pr):D
call the electrical inspector he'll tell ya whats required.
rob

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

newer appliances are coming equipped with cords and plugs so they are not hardwired, but plugged in , the plug serving as the disconnect for service.

I like that idea.

Just did all the overhead fluorescents in my garage like that. Bought the plug-in shop lights, and put a receptacle for each... I'll never have to change a bulb in the dark, and I have extra outlets to plug in a trouble light.

Mike Robinson

Morning Mike-
rob

Hi Rob

No permits or inspectors around here. We're pretty isolated, I guess I'll just buy a wet location junction box and put that in.

Marlboro, in the electrician's defense, the cabinets where installed by her brother before the electrician installed the wiring.

A70eliminator, I thought about installing a GFI breaker, I may do that too.

kennyfam, the MIL lives in another town. I may go over there wednesday and I'll get pics if I do.

Thanks for your help guys

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I would never run both on the same feed.
IMO the dishwasher should have its own dedicated circuit.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

fill the back of the wire nuts with dielectric grease and it will be fine.

boat1010

Like the other one said. Move it to the back wall and put a receptical in it and be done with it. Make sure it's a GFI and everything will be just fine.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you know what the NEC stands for ?

NOBODY ENTIRELY COMPLIES

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Like the other one said. Move it to the back wall and put a receptical in it and be done with it. Make sure it's a GFI and everything will be just fine.
+1
Why on earth would any one with any common sense place anything electrical directly below a sink with all of those potential water leaking connections above it.
To save $1.79 in the extra wire needed to have all connections on the back or side wall of the cabinet ?????
The side wall would be better than the backwall as the faucet connections are up against the backwall overhead.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

most disposals now days have the switch, under the counter or on the wall, to turn they on. safety, for hands.

Mike Robinson

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. Went to MIL house today and replaced the junction box with a "Red Dot, Dry Tite" round junction box and cover plate. I used sealant on the threads of the plugs and connections. Flexible armored cable was used to run to the switch and the disposal.

I couldn't easily move it to one of the walls of the cabinet as the source comes up through the floor in the middle of the cabinet from under the house and there wasn't much slack.

The disposal is on it's own circuit and the disposal switch is also under the sink on the back wall. I asked the MIL if she wanted me to move the switch to the side wall where it's easier to reach but she declined my offer.

I am pretty happy with the results, if she has a leak under the sink, I'm confident no water will get into the wiring.

One more question though, the ground wires in the original junction box were crimped together. I didn't have any crimps and I used a wire nut to join them (in addition to using grounding screw on box for one wire). Are crimps required by code?

dolluper

Captain

When joining two grounds together they must be pigtailed and wire nutted....to keep up +down stream circuits grounded.......grounds are connected on the box in seperate locations {seperate boxes}

Mike Robinson

When joining two grounds together they must be pigtailed and wire nutted....to keep up +down stream circuits grounded.......grounds are connected on the box in seperate locations {seperate boxes}

The ground wires are pig tailed, wire nutted, and grounded to the box by a screw. I'm wondering if they need to be crimped instead of wire nutted.

Thanks

dolluper

Captain

BC code could be different ,,,,,if your around Home Depot they usually have electrial code simified book that will trll you for sure I've never seen crimped only wire nuts crimped could be dangerous ends bare hummmm Changes to our code usually start out in BC