Old Prop 5200rpm New Prop 4200rpm Danger??

Wcsweb

Seaman
Hey Fellow Boaters,

I have a 1.6L V4 Sea Drive. I had a 15p prop on my 20ft Proline and she would do about 35mph @ 5200rpm.

I recently got a 19p Hustler and she still does 35mph but now the rpm is 4200. I personally like the lower RPM because its quitier. However I do not want to do any damage and was woundering what you guys think.

Is it ok to keep running this prop or do I need to get a different pitch?

Also I purchased it from Iboats, should I be able to return it for a different pitch without any problems or should I call Hustler?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Old Prop 5200rpm New Prop 4200rpm Danger??

Ayuh,.... What is the manufacturer's recommended WOT, rpms,..??

My Guess is,... You're Lugging the 'ell out of the motor, burning the piston crowns....

But that's just a Guess,... I don't know what a 1.6L V4 Sea Drive is, from Which manufacturer....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The Hustler is a pretty agressive prop and any increase in pitch will generally reduce rpm.I would have tried the same pitch.How did you happen to go with a 19?
You were pretty close with the 15. Check with the prop dept guys.Idon't think there is an exchange on Hustler but don't go by me.If Hustler recommended the 19 they might do an exchange.You need to get back to that 5,200 or so.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The nice thing about Hustler is that you don't have to rebuy the hub if you can't exchange the prop; just buy the new prop less the hub.

If you are comparing Hustler to a regular alum prop, expect more engine loading per inch of pitch as this prop is high tech for alum. I have one but I don't use it.

Mark