how do I mount a trolling motor on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a 1965 Johnson Tri-Hull. I know, it is supposed to be pulling skiers and the sort and not fishing. my current budget allows on the one I currently have. wifey wants to get me a trolling motor for Christmas. I have seen the engine mount motors from Minnkota but I'm not sure of the functionality of that type. I am not against fabrication some sort of bracketry to place a bow mount one up front. I have my eye on a Minnkota Powerdrive V2 70# but I am not sure how hard deploy and stow will be with a closed bow boat. I also need to keep in mind I may end up with a true fishing boat in a few years. if so this troller will be transferred.

BTW, my boat sure gets the looks every time I take it out. even more so when I catch up with the newer boats.:)

Attachments

• big johnson 001R.JPG
    big johnson 001R.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 2
  • big johnson 002R.JPG
    big johnson 002R.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: how do I mount a trolling motor on this?

Dude! Are those torpedo tubes on the side of that thing? :D

As for a trolling motor, I recommend a transom mounted unit that is tied to the big motor for steering. There are items like that for sale.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i personally would not drill a hole in that boat. it is a collectors boat in that condition. i would use a transom mount trolling motor on it.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would agree not to drill anything into that hull, it is too cool!

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention I WILL NOT be drilling any holes or damaging anything. I could make the bracket fit over the front by using the screw holes on the rub rail.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Here's how I mounted a 55lb Minn kota on my open bow

DCP_2846A.jpg

DCP_2844A.jpg

Jeff

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why can't a bracket be made to attach the trolling motor to the outboard???;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are motors made that attach to the lower unit of an outboard, expensive. most who use trolling motors want more turning radius, than the outboard. even if you mount a wireless controled motor, you still have to crawl over the windshield to deploy, and retrieve.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Engine mount electric motors are attached to the top of the cavitation plate on a big outboard or outdrive. --expensive.
You will need to drill holes for the bow mount to withstand the heavy pull of the motor mount when in full speed. I would put the money toward a different boat made for fishing.

Jeep Man

Commander

Classy ride! Please don't muck it up. Personally, I'd go with a a custom mount on the rear. Easier to get close to the motor for retrieving and setting it in, and more strength for mounting.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking outfit. Don't drill it !!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A bow mounted troller is out of the question. You cannot get up there to deploy and stow it. You really have only two choices -- stern mount or engine mounted. Neither will be very easy to use or very effective for any serious fishing. Sitting at the helm is not my idea of a good time fishing while trying to control a troller. The best option in my view would be transom mount with an extended tiller. Even then, if your boat has a seat that runs full width across the back you still have a problem. This is simply not a boat for fishing so whatever you do, it will lack serious amounts of convenience.

a70eliminator

Captain

Do those sponson like tunnels fill with water to stabilize the boat from rocking, whats the design? That is one cool looking boat I wouldn't drill one single hole it anywhere. I'll bet you could stuff the bow pretty good and stay dry, what's the tube tied over the transom for, a bilge pump?
Those snaps are in a weird location across the bow in front of windsheild are they for a custom cover?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to mention I WILL NOT be drilling any holes or damaging anything. I could make the bracket fit over the front by using the screw holes on the rub rail.
hummm, that seems to be asking a lot of a few existing #8 wood screws. Especially when they are all inline with each other horizontally.

On second thought you might be able to fab a level flat mount for the Minnkota Powerdrive V2 70# that incorporates the optional quick release mount if you do not want it up there every trip.
I would look at fabricating a bracket that is bolted under that center of the bow cleat. Use the existing holes and sandwich the bracket between the bow and the cleat.
The bracket would go forward and then down to the rubrail and secured via existing fastners.
I am thinking aluminum bar stock wide enough for the Minnkota Powerdrive V2 70# mount.

Attachments

• big johnson 001R2.jpg
    big johnson 001R2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

for all the money you'd be spending on a high zoot trolling motor you could pick up a small john or 2 man plastic boat and a trolling motor..... I had a pellican 8' and a 50 lb min kota .... set me back a whopping $500 brand new.... used you could probably get a 14-16 footer and a trailer for that.
what's the fancy motor cost $700?... sounds to me like you are over thinking this
best of luck either way

btw just a guess but those "torpedo launchers" look like a place for headlights to me...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A Minnkota PD V2 or otherwise is not an option for a bow mount. How do you get up there to deploy and stow it?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I hate to get off topic a little, but that boat is awesome! Do you have any videos of that thing in the water? I'm not a big fan of tri-hulls, but the lines on that boat are very retro. I love it...

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer

I hate to get off topic a little, but that boat is awesome! Do you have any videos of that thing in the water? I'm not a big fan of tri-hulls, but the lines on that boat are very retro. I love it...

This

+1,000

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is the coolest boat/motor I've seen in a long time. Need more pics :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Trolling motors are low thrust engines as compared to your pusher outboard/inboard. As such, they function much more effectively pulling the boat behind it, rather than attempting to push the boat in front of it.

I agree bow mounting is out of the question, but you have to understand that stern mounting will offer less than stellar performance, especially in a high current or cross wind. BTDT

On the plus side, a remote control type would let you control it from the helm.

My 2c.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.