82' 25hp Evinrude... Water Pick Up JB welded??

123svt

Cadet
I got a 1982 Evinrude 25hp tiller, and I have never used it but the water pick up by the prop looks like it had been JB welded over and painted the same color as the outboard. It was my uncles who has since passed away and I know he never had a problem with it. So I assume it runs.. And unlike my other motors it only has the water pick up on one side... Any idea anyone???
:confused::confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 82' 25hp Evinrude... Water Pick Up JB welded??

your water pick up is just above the prop, below the exhaust, the vent on the side is a water pick up for when the motor is in reverse, and prop is moving water to fast for the regular pickup. red is water pickup.

Attachments

• HPIM0223.jpg
    HPIM0223.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1

123svt

Cadet

WHy would someone ever filled with JB Weld? Is it still safe to run?? Ill post some pics...

123svt

Cadet

2n8oh94.jpg

jasper60103

Commander

Here's a pic of my '81 johnson 25hp. There's no side vent there. Looks like a repair, so it's ok. Enjoy your new motor!

SDC11984.jpg

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Looks like unit had water in it at one time and froze, cracking driveshaft passage and usually its the foot housing that cracks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is very possible, if it works ok, and no water intrusion, i would not worry about it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree. Leave it alone if it is cooling O.K.

123svt

Cadet

So it should be ok? I dont get where the water pick up is than?.... Isnt the other part the exhaust??... How does water get picked up there...? thanks guys..

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Water pickup

waterpickup.jpg

Bypass cover should be on the other side. The spot where it was jb welded would be the water pickup on the newer style lowers with the thru hub exhaust, this is like the older style lower from the 60's/70's smaller motors. If you look up inside of yours there should be a screen where the water gets sucked up the lower unit by the pump, it's a seperate water passage from the gears obviously.

123svt

Cadet

Well I am trying to sell this and everyone that looks at it ask about it. Where does the exhaust go out at?? Im still confused.. Theres nothing on the other side of the motor where the JB weld is... I dont know what to tell when they see that... But i know it runs and drives fine... I guess I dont get what the KB weld is covering.. It must be used for something.... Im not very mechanically inclined haha..

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

water inlet and exhaust are where bytheking indicates. Cover should be on other side. See diag
View attachment 42081

I reckon its a "bitsa" and some one has blocked off the normal water inlet holes of a different LU (but why???)

Hope there really is a water inlet where it should be in front of the exhaust outlet. You should see the strainer from the other side.

Good luck trying to sell it. I'd be very suspicious

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sounds like it will be hard to sell to the general public but someone who knows and loves old 'rudes won't mind.

lindy46

Captain

If you look on the forward edge of that circled "water pick-up" you will see a screened rectangular slot - that is the water pick-up. The exhaust comes out the aft (back) side of it.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you look on the forward edge of that circled "water pick-up" you will see a screened rectangular slot - that is the water pick-up. The exhaust comes out the aft (back) side of it.

Yep, what he said^^^.
I had a 1971 20hp and it was exactly like this.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I'm voting with Faztbullet on this one - the areas that have been repaired are not where water passages exist. They are within the gearcase and would contain gear oil. If there was significant water intrusion at one time and the motor was subjected to freezing temperatures, the case would split.

Looks to me like someone did a repair job after such a situation. I would keep using the motor, but would check the gear oil frequently. I would also go on a hunt for a new LU. JB Weld is an OK product, but my experience is that it does come apart/off, after awhile.

???