Changing rollers to bunks?

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Load right trailer with rollers and am currently rebuilding the boat. I found dents and scratches where each roller contacts the boat. Are bunks better on the boat than rollers? Can I add bunks and use both the bunks and rollers? do the bunks scratch the surface of the boat? Is it expensive to change the trailer over? What would I need?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Changing rollers to bunks?

Are bunks better on the boat than rollers?
That is relitive. I like rollers but some like bunks.

Can I add bunks and use both the bunks and rollers?
Probably, but why?

do the bunks scratch the surface of the boat?
Sure they do. Any thing can make a mark or scratch on the hull.

What would I need?
Wood and something to make stands to the bunks then something to cover them.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I am thinking that bunks would disperse the stress over the hull better than the 12 points of contact that the rollers do. The rollers have dented the fiberglass hull and also scratched it. I can use 4 bunks and that would spread the load.
I was thinking of maybe setting up the rollers to load with then either lower the rollers or raise the bunks for towing and storing.

cribber

Lieutenant

Small lightweight boats... bunks are the cheaper alternative to go with from a repair respective. A little carpet, a couple of marine grade 2x4s and you're good to go. Heavier boats.. rollers making launching way easier but cost more to replace or repair as a whole. My opinion is go with you're most comfortable to launch with since each setup brings pluses and minuses to the table.

Bifflefan

Commander

You can do that, I think its more work than benefit, but thats me. (rollers and bunks)
4 bunks should spread the weight well.
If you really want to change then go for it. With the bunks you will probably have to back in further, but once you get used to it its not a big deal.
Make sure to use transum tie downs. I think that you can use silicone spray to make them slide really good too.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

what are disadvantages of bunks?

cribber

Lieutenant

The one disadvantage of bunks over rollers is where you launch your boat. Rollers are great for the ramps that have tidal fluctuations and you launch in really shallow water along our coastlines. Bunks are more suitable for the steeper ramps with a constant depth at the bottom of the ramp for most inland lakes. It all comes down to what you are most comfortable with for your setup.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the dents that no one commented on were (I'm sure) only there from the boat sitting for a long period of time. bunks and rollers will both scratch, scuff and or ding the hull, one way or another. i prefer bunks but i also prefer...........
ladies over men
small over big
short over tall
do you get my point......who the h*** cares what i prefer, you got to do what you got to do....TOOCAN

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I like both. I like keel rollers and load carrying bunks. I never had just rollers for the reasons mentioned and some hulls dent easily (making ripples) where the rollers support the weight of the boat.

The keel rollers (2 or 3 located on the rear of the trailer and any cross member that the boat keel could touch) are really set right at the level of the keel when on the bunks. The rearmost may or may not contact the hull, but that's ok because that is not what it's for. The rear roller is to get your boat onto the trailer without scratching the hull on the rear trailer support as are others located on structural cross members that the hull could contact before it is far enough forward to get up on the bunks.

I use 2x6 treated pine and leave it bare. I leave it bare because wet wood is almost slick as ice. If you ever slipped down on wet, bare wood steps (like at the marina.....the ones without aluminum extruded metal types) you know exactly what I mean. Carpet is fiberous and provides a lot of drag that wet wood doesn't; just like at the marina, you don't slip on carpet covered wood steps. As far as scratches on the hull, you tell me if a slick surface would scratch more readily than a porous one! Moot point.

Additionally, using treated wood that has no porous covering allows the bunks to dry faster which helps to control rotting. If you don't like the natural pine color, get a can of black spray paint and paint them.

Problem with bunks is that you need to float on and off/drive on and push off, so you need a deep ramp, especially with a heavy boat that you can't move by hand. Most ramps here in Texas are adequate even though sometimes your rear tires on your tow vehicle get wet; longer trailer tongues not only improve road stability, but help in launching.

On locating the bunks, I select a spot just outboard of a lifting strake, or bottom offset, preferably half way between the keel and chine (for lateral stability) or wider, so that the bunk will ride on the part of the boat that is usually dry at the higher speeds. I mount them to at least two cross members; transom and one other; 2 other if I have them and the boat is heavy.

I also like guides, either in "bunk fashion", rollers, or just round pipe. I prefer the bunk fashion as they are longer and give you more length for different loading situations. I locate them so that there is about an inch of space to the rub rail on the boat when loading. Don't gauge off the side of the boat as the rub rail usually sticks out farther and in certain situations, it could be the first to contact the guides.

If you don't have sealed trailer lights, guides are a good spot to locate your trailer lights and keep them out of the water (works best on long roller or pipe guides as you can make them taller and still function where as bunks would be too high to be useful for their intended purpose).

My 2c

Mark

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Mark,
Absolutely great post. I think that you described My perfect trailer. Do you have any pictures of trailerrs set up this way? I would very much appreciate as many pics as you can get. When I get the boat done I will be rebuilding the trailer and will put every step of it on here.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Skibum,

No sir I don't but a trip to a dealer, especially with a lot full of used boats, or through the used boat section herein, or a trip to a marina where the boats are floating and the trailers are parked can surely get you some ideas. I will try to get my cell phone camera and see what I can do but no promises. It's dark and cold where the boat is and that won't help the quality of the pics. Send me a PM with your email address. If I get something I will download it to my computer VIA Bluetooth and email it to you.

Good Luck,

Mark

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I currently own 4 boat trailers and have owned dozens more over the years.

I would never never never have a bunk trailer. The carpet wears and needs to be replaced, the wood eventually warps, and launching is hard. I like to put the wheels in the water then walk behind the car and give a little push without having to get my feet wet.

Its all in the adjustment. First, you need keel rollers in addition the the roller bunks. They should support the bulk of the weight. The other rollers should be adjusted to each roller can be turned by hand. Thus, not too much weight on any one place.

I have seen carpet pick up junk that scratches the hull. Never saw a stone clinging to a rubber roller.

shepster

Cadet

I have bunk trailer and wish I had roller. Living in a area where there is a tide change and some of the places I boat have shallow incline ramps, sometimes it is a pain in the @$$. If I had roller wouldn't have to back down as far for loading, meaning I could keep my truck out of the water.

One thing with a roller v/s bunk. I can disconnect my boat then back down into the water with my bunk. You cannot do this with a roller.

mattsanders

Seaman

One thing with a roller v/s bunk. I can disconnect my boat then back down into the water with my bunk. You cannot do this with a roller.
I learned this the hard way. It didnt damage my boat, but wasnt a fun ride. My boat never touvhed the ramp, but came very close.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

roller vs bunk is a personal preference and is also dependent on where you launch your boat and what you get used to. If you boat in an area where you may have to perform shallow water launch and retrieve you may be better off with a roller trailer. I personally boat in the midwest where most boat ramps are deep enough and tides aren't a concern. I have owned both roller and bunk trailers and ccontrary to what others say I would never own another roller trailer. Its bunks for me.

I boat alone and one of the most common places I boat has a launch where the courtesy dock is not where you can walk a boat on or off unless you want to put on the chest waders. This means for launching by myself I back in and then climb up the trailer tongue and over the bow of the boat. I back the boat in where the back of the boat is floating, but the front has a bit of friction on the bunks toward the bow. I unhook the bow hook and idle off the trailer. Retrieving is much the same. Idle on the trailer far enough to "stick" the boat. I then climb out and winch up. With a roller trailer launching was easy enough by myself, but retrieving could only be done by leaving the motor in forward gear at idle while I hooked up the winch. As I said, the only way to walk it on would have bee to wade into waist to chest high water. Not going to happen when I go fishing and the water is 50 degrees. I converted to bunks in short order.

As for the claims that the bunks have to be re-carpeted, well that is true, but on about a once every 10 year schedule in my experience. Also, this can be totally eliminated by using bunks with the full length slides. The slides work very well and help greatly with those shallow water launches.

As for the bunks warping, I haven't had a problem with this. The weight of the boat on the trailer prevents the bunks from warping. If your boat is slipped and off the trailer for extended periods of time then I can see where they could possibly warp when the boat isn't on it, but I just can't see them warping with the weight of the boat up there.

One problem with the roller trailers is that the rollers localize the load to rollers. On a fiberglass boat this can and does lead to indentations in the hull of the boat. These indentation aren't usually big and I haven't noticed any boat handling problems with the dents in my current boat, but the dents are there. On a bunk trailer the load is distributed along the full length of the bunks rather that discreet loacl areas. In my view the bunks present a better distribution of the load of the boat than you get with rollers.

Again, it is going to come down to personal preference. I can't tell you what your personal preference is, but mine is definitely a bunk trailer hands down.