How to tell OMC 5.0 from 5.7

TinPig

Cadet
I bought a boat with an omc cobra set up. I was under the impression it was a 350 motor. However the tag on the outdrive listed the engine as 5.0 Does that outdrive work on either motor or is it in fact a 305 engine.

I'm new to the game, so please enjoy my ignorance...lol

I do however appreciate any and all comments. Thanks Guys!!

EDIT

The boat is a 1987 24 ft. Bayliner Trophy

New Toy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: How to tell OMC 5.0 from 5.7

Unless you've been the original owner for the last 22 years there's no way to tell other than pulling off the block someplace a model and serial number at best, engine casting numbers at worst.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The GM family has the dist in the rear of the motor
The Ford family has it in the front of the motor (5.0)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Depending on the year....OMC used both the GM (Chevrolet) 5.0 and 5.7...in my '88 factory manuals it lists the 5.0 and 5.7 as both being available with the 4 bbl carb...and I believe the same was offered in '87
if you look over at
www.dougrussell.com
go in the parts section for your year OMC you might find more listings that can help you figure it out...the problem is that on the outside the engines themselves look pretty much the same....some OMCs when then still had the OE exhaust manifolds on em had a big sticker with the engine displacement on them...my 4.3 had a 4.3 4V sticker on each manifold...and I have seen 5.7s with a 5.7 sticker on the valve cover... I guess to make it clear that it's not just a 5.0...the only other difference that is notable is that the overall ratio in the drive is 1:50:1 for the 5.0 and 1.41:1 for the 5.7...the upper gear ratios are differnt but the lower gear ratios are the same...look at the tag on the drive to see if it gives ratio #s...

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

look at the back of the block behind the port side head for the casting number and go to www.mortec.com

TinPig

Cadet

thanks guys!!

I did notice that there is a tag on the outdrive, on the lower unit that states the enginge type as 5.0. could that outdrive still work with a 350?

I'm gonna look for the block castings next.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Yest the outdrive will bolt up to a 5.0 (305ci) as well as a 5.7(350ci) the blocks are identical on the outside except for casting numbers. The 5.7 will have a 4" bore while the 5.0 will have a 3.736" bore.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you determined if it's a Ford or Chevy engine? OMC used both.

TilliamWe

Banned

look at the back of the block behind the port side head for the casting number and go to www.mortec.com

It's not even that complicated Dan. On the flat area behind that head, it will either say "5.0G" or "5.7G". Not too hard to figure which is which, then.

And yep, Chevy or Ford would be the first thuing to determine. And distributor placement is the easiest way to tell.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's not even that complicated Dan. On the flat area behind that head, it will either say "5.0G" or "5.7G". Not too hard to figure which is which, then.

only on a 86 or newer block

TinPig

Cadet

It is a chevy, there is a casting on the top that shows GM after the numbers, and it did take gm oil filter etc.
I've just had some bad weather up here (MA) to uncover and work on it some more. I will keep you guys updated. Thank you guys for all you help. I also was curios as to a part name. I need to replace the rubber hose that connects the two cast iron parts of the intake. it's about 4 inches in diam and 6 inches long +/-. if anyone knows what I'm trying to describe It would help me greatly try to obtain one.

Bondo

Staff member

I need to replace the rubber hose that connects the two cast iron parts of the intake. it's about 4 inches in diam and 6 inches long +/-. if anyone knows what I'm trying to describe It would help me greatly try to obtain one.

Ayuh,... The Intake is a single piece casting....
Sooo,...
Your discription needs clarification...
Are you talking about the Exhaust,..??

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.. Then if you click on the OMC Parts links at the top of this page,...
You should be able to follow the path to the part for your motor....

edit; Or maybe not,... I just looked,+ found No hoses...
Anyways,...
Take the Exact measurements of the piece,+ your local Napa should be able to match up a piece of marine exhaust hose....