The date living in infamy

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please take a few minutes to remember the victims of the Pearl Harbor attack.:(

tashasdaddy

Re: The date living in infamy

yesterday would have been my parents wedding aniversary. imagine waking up to find out what happened.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

My grandmother died in a car crash on this date a few years back(I guess it's been about 17 years now). Tough to forget the date it happened...

Laddies

Banned

Thanks to all who served then and now!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Amen,+ God Bless America....

SuperNova

Lieutenant

My late grandfather joined the Navy 1 year to the day after Pearl Harbor. He spent the war on a P.T. Boat #562 in the Med. Gave me my love of boating. R.I.P, Pop. 7/2/07 ........and, Thank You.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I've posted this before but here I go again.

My father was in the army and stationed at Schofield barracks on the day of infamy. When I was just a young child, I'd ask him questions about that day and what he did. His reply really startled me. He went to the mess hall and ate breakfast. He said, "I didn't know when or if I'd ever get to eat again, so I went to breakfast." :eek:

He went on to serve in the Guadalcanal campaign and was a member of the National Guard as a First Sergeant.

Robbabob

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I didn't think about it yesterday at all... When I woke up, I had chills thinking of the news events and movies of that day. My morning show and lunch news did not cover the topic.... shocked, I was, thinking they have all lost their minds!

Prayers to those at Pearl and Thank You to those that have served and who are serving to protect and keep our freedom.

JB

On December 7, 1954 I visited the Arizona with a squadron mate who had been on Ford Island that morning. We walked out a long, rickety wooden walkway to a small platform over the ship. . .where the memorial is today.

We both shed tears as he narrated his experiences. I still tear up remembering.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

In January 2008 I got to visit the Arizona memorial. An experience that I will never forget. The images are burned into my memory forever.

Thank you to all who have served or are currently serving our country. Your sacrafice is very much appreciated!!!!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

This happened more than a few generations before my ripe old age of 32. I did lose my unbeknownst to me great uncle on the USS Houston a little after the Pearl Harbor attack. Sigmund Ustaszewski was a Catholic Friar, a pharmocologist(sp?), and a pharmacist and machine gunner aboard the Houston. My beloved grandfather often spoke of him in the past as if he had just talked to him the day before. It is not known to my family wether or not he perished in the night or met his maker building the burma railway. Dzia Dzia said that Sig wanted to be a doctor and help not the soldiers, but the innocent children of the war.

In a round about way I suppose I should thank hitler. If it were not for adoph I would not be here today. My great grandmother fled Poland in '40 to escape the nazis. She took with her husbandless 7 out of her surviving 13 children, the rest lost to war. Two of her children that she escaped with were Sigmund "Ziggy" Ustaszewsk, the youngest and one of the others was remaing familys oldest child, William, my grandfather. William as it is told fought 3 nazis with machine guns on the family farm with a wood axe and eventually led his kin aboard another boat to NYC. I have no idea if it's true or family story telling around the fire, but the rest is as follows.
William eventually went on to wed his beloved Nora Abrahmczyck, a childhood friend in which he lost contact with for years, who lived the next town, in the next country of Lithuania. She herself had escaped from the nazis, familyless. It was almost fate that they had both arrived in NYC, William in 40, Nora in 43. They story goes that they blindly collided on a street corner. Nora was a seamstress for the rest of the war In the US. She was a big woman, her Polish/Lithuanian cooking would give you diarrhea for a week. William Charles Ustaszewski and Nora Abrahmczyck eventually gave birth to William Francis Ustaszewski. William Francis would eventually go himself to marry the hellspawn of a scandinavian devil and give birth to myself. Jason William Ustaszewski.

A date on a calender you can look up in any old encyclopedia. A house with a stone foundation and wooden walls is still just a house. If you enter the door to the house and see pure craftsmanship on the inside walls then the house becomes a home, and that home will have a rich story behind it.

A date is just a date. Talk to your elders us young ones. Try and remember not so much dates and places, but the stories behind the people that made those dates and places have a place in our modern history books. The only thing more important than the outcome of something we read today, are the stories that made that outcome happen.

A call out to JB.
Please no mods except fo JB delete this part.
I understand that you are probably up there in age. I'm guessing early 70's.

I am about to break the rules and post something political. Maybe you can shed some on this to me via PM. And if you choose to, please just delete this political part of it and not the whole post.

At my age of 32 I just don't understand how WWII ended. It was started officially around Sept 1, 1939. The US got involved on Dec 7th 1941. The war ended, depending on the history between Aug 14th and Sept 2 1945.
Obviously the bombings on hiroshima an nagasaki largely ended he war. But what is the deal. We are into 8+ years into this war with the taliban. In 4 years we liberated all of Europe. Ended hitler, ended mousellini. Made a pact with Stalin that would lead to the cold war. But not world war. So why is it we can do all that in 4 years... But not catch just 1 guy in 8 years????????
It seem's bananas to me.
I belive that our soldiers of every branch are just as strong as our WWII military.
But I also believe that our "commanders" are also pussyfooting arond the obvious sometimes.
I believe that the commanders back in your era had more balls and didn't pussyfoot around the issues sometiimes.
To everyone.... remember your dead. Especially your war dead. honor them with all your hearts.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have no immediate family members who were involved in the Pearl Harbor attack, but my dad was a 2nd Lt, with the 82bd Airborne. He was on the planning staff for the D-Day Invasion and jumped the night before, with the Pathfinders. He was here in New Orleans about a year before he died, and we went to the D-Day Museum. Seeing it with someone who was there and could fill in details, was an amazing experience.

He also went to France for the 50th anniversary activities. While there, he was given a medal by the French. I remember him saying that, in some ways, it meant more to him than his other ribbons, which included the Purple Heart (Sicily). To be received with such thanks, so many years after the war, was very special and emotional for him.

I have always liked Tom Brokaw's reference to my father's generation as "The Greatest Generation." In so many ways, that's exactly what they were.

???

JB

A call out to JB.
Please no mods except fo JB delete this part.
I understand that you are probably up there in age. I'm guessing early 70's.

I am about to break the rules and post something political. Maybe you can shed some on this to me via PM. And if you choose to, please just delete this political part of it and not the whole post.

At my age of 32 I just don't understand how WWII ended. It was started officially around Sept 1, 1939. The US got involved on Dec 7th 1941. The war ended, depending on the history between Aug 14th and Sept 2 1945.
Obviously the bombings on hiroshima an nagasaki largely ended he war. But what is the deal. We are into 8+ years into this war with the taliban. In 4 years we liberated all of Europe. Ended hitler, ended mousellini. Made a pact with Stalin that would lead to the cold war. But not world war. So why is it we can do all that in 4 years... But not catch just 1 guy in 8 years????????
It seem's bananas to me.
I belive that our soldiers of every branch are just as strong as our WWII military.
But I also believe that our "commanders" are also pussyfooting arond the obvious sometimes.
I believe that the commanders back in your era had more balls and didn't pussyfoot around the issues sometiimes.
To everyone.... remember your dead. Especially your war dead. honor them with all your hearts.

I don't find any comparison between our wars with the Taliban and Al Queda and WWII, Jason. About the only thing they have in common is that people die.

The fighting in WWII was between governments for control of peoples and territory. When Germany and Japan ran out of territory and ability to make war, they quit.

A comparison between our current wars and our wars of conquest with native America is probably closer, but still not the same. Those lasted about 200 years, and included a lot of public criticism of how they were conducted.

Compare it to police wars with organized criminals raised to a higher level of violence. It probably cannot be won, in the traditional sense, but it can be turned over to the people who need to be protecting themselves. That is happening in Iraq and is the strategy in Afghanistan.

BTW, I am 74.

I am going to close this temporarily in order to give my fellow moderators a chance to review it and decide if it should stay or be deleted.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I to could not believe every channel on the cable,satelite and local networks did not even pay any respect or mention of this tragic event that indeed change history and awakened the sleeping industrial giant. It is a day each year that should never be forgotten and should always be mentioned all day.

JB

I counted five different programs on DirecTV channels that gave the story of Pearl Harbor. I think most, if not all, were on Discovery network channels.

Of all the important events of which I have personal memories I think Pearl Harbor probably changed the world and the course of history more than any other.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I think Pearl Harbor probably changed the world and the course of history more than any other

The most scarey thing is, is to imagine that Pearl Harbor did not happen, or if it happened when the JapoGerman industrial war machine was stronger than they were when it did.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

The most scarey thing is, is to imagine that Pearl Harbor did not happen, or if it happened when the JapoGerman industrial war machine was stronger than they were when it did.
The thing about WWII is that the Japanese and the Germans were not in bed together. We were fighting two different wars in two different theaters. It was the U.S. and Austrailians(SP?) against the Japanese in the Pacific which was our main war and the U.S. assisting England, France, Russia, etc. against the Germans and Italians in Europe and Africa. It was quite a struggle.