'79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Lansing, eh? Not far at all. We have a place up on Drummond Island, so I'm familiar with the baitfish die off. The Atlantic Salmon fishery up there is still really good though. Take care, and I hope you aren't a Sparty like Jsercsa :eek:

Drummond Island is a nice place. Some good water to cover up there:)

I'm a graduate of MSU so I'm with John:D

tallcanadian

Captain

Now you will be fishing in style. Good thing you don't have fish in your garage. You would have most of the iboats members lined up with their rods.

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good H.A. Think we should troll in your garage for a little while at least ;) Looks promising!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Now you will be fishing in style. Good thing you don't have fish in your garage. You would have most of the iboats members lined up with their rods.

Looking good H.A. Think we should troll in your garage for a little while at least ;) Looks promising!

LOL :D It wouldn't be the same fishing in the garage but when it's raining that would be a nice alternative.:p

On a side note...I sold my portable Humminbird fishfinder last night and the guy almost made me an offer on the SS!

I did tell him that it's not for sale, but it was a nice encouraging compliment.

I wouldn't even take 10k for the rig right now, enjoying the boat for the rest of the summer is priceless.;)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think jigging would probably bring a little more success given the temps, bottom conditions, runoff, clarity, spring thaw cycle, lunar phase, humidity, gas prices, current economic status as it relates to national debt, and the color of Huron's boat.

Or, trolling might work too.

:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Good news:) I just got off the phone with my local Merc dealer and they have a weekly shipment to their prop shop every friday.

I should be able to get a new hub gasket pushed in for around $40-50:)

We only need to run upriver a few miles to the secret spot where all the 'eyes are hanging out so the 5.5hp will do just fine for the weekend fishing derby.

I will also have them tidy up the blades while they are at it too. I will still be buying a 3-blade probably so I can swap them out and always have a spare.

That will wait until after I get a tach rigged up so I'm not blindly stabbing in the dark for the size/pitch.

I will be installing the SS rod holders and attaching the transducer and speed wheel for the Garmin tonight.

My buddy stopped by last night and he was pretty happy to see that I managed to knock out a few tasks while he was on a canoe trip on the Rifle river all weekend.;)

We should be ready for this Walleye tourney and I can't wait:cool:

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on enjoying the rig! Looks like a good time was had by all. Good luck on the tourney!

Terry

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, I've never heard of a basketball fish? Pray enlighten us colonials! :D

TII

The sight of them causes one to dribble...
& deep fried in a basket...Mmmmm go Blue :eek::D

Sorry Mike, nothing to say to you, as I'm so jealous of your water time already :p ;)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Couple updates...I haven't done much work lately on the rig:redface:

Lots of rain and I've been just plain lazy;)

I will be getting the SS rod holders bolted on tonight, I hate to do all this when I still need to paint the rig and remove them again, but I won't be doing that for a little while, so twice the amount of work it is:D

I've got the rails on the bow, all 4 cleats on, and I'm thinking about adding a couple anchor chocks that I have. One is black plastic and looks cheap(but works very well) and the others are SS and look vintage 60s(they were taken off an older Chriscraft).

I'm having a huge problem deciding were to put the SS rod holders, hence them not being attached yet. For some reason drilling a 2.5" hole in the gunwale makes me think I should make sure they are where I want them the first time:rolleyes:.

I'm thinking on the port/starboard corners in the stern but I want to make sure folks shorter than me can reach them too.(or else I'll catch all the fish LOL).

I have a Lowrance already rigged with the transducer on my Minn Kota so I really don't need the other one but it's got a bigger screen so it's going on tonight too.

I am looking forward to making the SS look like an SS again, just needed to get her set up for this weekend and all the parts aren't ready to be put back in quite yet.

Sorry for the long post, just lots on my mind today and can't wait for this weekend.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Couple updates...I haven't done much work lately on the rig:redface:

Lots of rain and I've been just plain lazy;)

Dude, it poured big time this morning about 4:30 up my way, I bet you got some of that too.

I will be getting the SS rod holders bolted on tonight, I hate to do all this when I still need to paint the rig and remove them again, but I won't be doing that for a little while, so twice the amount of work it is:D

I have been wondering about that but I was reluctant to ask if you FORGOT to paint your boat.:D

I've got the rails on the bow, all 4 cleats on, and I'm thinking about adding a couple anchor chocks that I have. One is black plastic and looks cheap(but works very well) and the others are SS and look vintage 60s(they were taken off an older Chriscraft).

I'm having a huge problem deciding were to put the SS rod holders, hence them not being attached yet. For some reason drilling a 2.5" hole in the gunwale makes me think I should make sure they are where I want them the first time:rolleyes:.

AGREED!

I'm thinking on the port/starboard corners in the stern but I want to make sure folks shorter than me can reach them too.(or else I'll catch all the fish LOL).

I have a Lowrance already rigged with the transducer on my Minn Kota so I really don't need the other one but it's got a bigger screen so it's going on tonight too.

I am looking forward to making the SS look like an SS again, just needed to get her set up for this weekend and all the parts aren't ready to be put back in quite yet.

Sorry for the long post, just lots on my mind today and can't wait for this weekend.:)

Rock on!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Yeah I've been surprised by the lack of comments questioning my haphazard style of restoration. I'm clearly a contrarion and have basically done everything in the wrong order:redface::D

Starting with not getting the title or registration in my name until just months ago and continuing into leaving the Merc bolted on(with controls never removed:p), skipping flipping the hull and painting and going straight into rebuilding the deck; My thread is quite a poor example of proper resto planning.

I've really noticed how nice it is to do everything correctly chronologically as I've been following both Ezmobee and Bob_VT's SS threads, as they seems to have perfected the tin can resto checklist in correct order.

I am notorious for learning things the had way, so nothing new for me.

Of course I have good reasons for doing everything the way I did if needed to justify anything...so onward I go...as CheapBoatKev would say, "just whistling and shuffling my feet" :)

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haha Huron, sounds like you are doing the stuff you have to do to get on the water! I wish I was at your stage in the game, debating where to put the rod holders...sheesh!

Terry

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You forgot to mention your corrosive transom :p

Just piling on.

Don't give me too much credit. Here's the REAL proper sequence for a happy restoration:

1. Buy hull you want
2. If it doesn't already have the motor you want, acquire it
3. Get that motor fully serviced and running awesome. Lawn chair test run to make sure you're happy with your choices.
4. Strip hull and flip it over off the trailer.
5. Body and paint work to hull exterior. Then (or simultaneously) restore your trailer.
6. Put newly painted boat back on trailer
7. Interior.
8. Enjoy.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A little tip. If you are looking for stainless rigging stuff, like anchor chocks or cleats, I know of a place downriver that has a yard of old boats (400 or so) and you can go out there with your tools and take stuff off them and he'll make you a really, really sweet deal on them. I got all my teak this way (see my thread) and some nice rod holders, a compass, heavy duty cleats, etc. It's a bit of a drive for you, but if you have the time, it's worth it. Lots of good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.