Evinrude 150 EXEOM Died today. Power Pack ?

w2much

Lieutenant
Getting plenty of fuel. In the past few times out at about cruising RPM 3500 it would buck for a split moment as if it was going to stop running. It has done this a few times on the last few fishing trips. I thought it was a bad ignition switch so I replaced that. Today leaving the harbor it just died in the channel. Couple of minutes later it started right up again. Headed back in then it repeated itself a few times. It starts back up but after leaving it sit for a few minutes. It gets no spark, then it seems when it cools it starts again. First time this motor has kept me from going out. Starts and runs fine will even throttle up but then it dies after cruising at 3500 for a few minutes.It will open up to 5200 RPM, but I rarely cruise at above 4000 . Pumps water like a racehorse, does not feel excessively hot. I am guessing the power pack is slowly failling. Motor appears clean with good connections. Any other suggestions. Will take a look tomorrow weather permitting. Thanks in advance for your replies.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 150 EXEOM Died today. Power Pack ?

So...its a 1995 with the optical ignition?

Obvious first,
No fire at all...

Check the kill lanyard and key-switch position.

Check the power pack and ignition coil ground wires for corrosion and tightness.

Connect a spark gap tester to all cylinders.

Disconnect the boat side harness and connect a remote starter unit. Check for spark. If the engine has spark, check the boat side harness's black/yellow kill wire for shorts to ground.

Disconnect the 5-pin connector on the port side of the power pack and see if the spark returns. If it does, use the fluke meter set to ohms and see if the black/yellow wires are shorted to engine ground.

Check the battery voltage on the yellow/red striped wire while cranking the engine. If below 11 volts, charge the battery or check all battery cables.

Remove the sensor wheel and check for damage, especially where the top slots are located. Sometimes the wheels will break out where the windows overlap.

Check the sensor eyes for dirt, grease and the like. If you need to clean it, use denatured alcohol and a Q-tip. Do not use any other cleaning agent because damage to the optical lens will occur.

Disconnect the voltage regulator/rectifier and retest. If the engine now has spark, replace the regulator/rectifier.

Get the shop manual, spark gap tester and marine peak meter off ebay.
www.outboardbooks.com

This guy sells peak reading meters 50% off.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mari...tZMotors_Automotive_Tools?hash=item35a473afc8

w2much

Lieutenant

Quick look after seeing this reply. I did notice a tan wire going nowhere. It appears to be loose from somewhere. I'll trace it. Could it be my issue? Thank you for your reply. I do have a manual but not the tools.

w2much

Lieutenant

Looking at the electrical diagram in the OMC manual there is a tan wire coming out of the harness going nowhere , seems to go to the VRO but is not plugged into anything . This is the wire I noticed. It seems to me that it is supposed to hook perhaps to an accessory or something. Don,t think it is a problem. Reading the CDI and OEM manual I don,t see an issue such as mine described. My motor starts and runs fine then after a mile or so just dies as though I pulled the lanyard and activated the kill switch. It is an intermittant complete electrical failure somewhere. The ignition switch is new. I checked my yellow and black wires for chaffing there was none, the engine inside of the cowling is quite clean and all terminals appear to be clean. Something somewhere just shorts out and kills the motor then after few minutes(cooling perhaps) it starts right up and will throttle back up running fine til it dies once again. This is probably beyond me and off to the mechanic. I fish offshore and do not care be breaking down in Mexican waters.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

OK so it's going to a mechanic, now we can play darts:

1. Powerpack
2. Coil Pack
3. Stator

Let us know!

w2much

Lieutenant

Spoke to my local Master Tech who told me that the miss at higher RPMs then the stall then start is a very common problem with this power pack. Typical symptoms of a failing power pack which will eventually fail totally. Makes sense to me. Still will post results after full testing is done.

w2much

Lieutenant

Sea trials today. Ran great after new power pack install. Brand new OEM BRP off eBay $125.00. Pretty happy camper here. Ran smoother, seemed quieter and picked up 200 RPM. back to 5300 RPM at WOT. Time to go get some giant squid. Thanks for your replies.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

IF the loose tan wire is down by the port side of the motor, then it is the connector for the oil tank LOW OIL sender. If you premix your fuel, then the oil tank was probably removed. If the oil tank sender acted up, perhaps someone disconnected it.