1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Thanks Andrew- I think I got it. I was wiring this thing like a house instead of everything going complete circle--- I think. I just redid the horn and I'm doing the bilge pump now- it's manual so I have an on off switch.

The ACC I don't have to worry about going to the fuse panel because the way the unicharger works takes care of that. My positive and ground from the fuse panel run to the unicharger and then whatever goes on inside there goes on and then the unicharger has the big red and black wire that runs out to the battery.

Thanks again so much!!! I'll keep you updated.

micks110

Thanks Arch and Bob! Arch, when I looked it over last night I looked at the on/off switch for the bilge pump and I said man this is just wrong!!!

I am definitely a visual guy:D

micks110

One more thing... The stupid lights just got my head spinning again. So the stern light that has two black wires- one will run to the switch and one will run directly to the negative bus correct? Doesn't matter which one since they're both black right.

The bow light has a gray wire and a black wire. Does the gray indicate positive and black ground? Or does it not matter?

Thank You:):):)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

On incandescent lights it doesn't matter mick, either can be hot or negative. One should run to the switch (the hot) and the other should go to a ground. Some other items are sensitive to polarity, but they are typically clearly marked positive and negative.

micks110

Sounds good arch! Yeh, the bow light has the gray and black wire but neither specify positive or negative.

Thanks again. I'm prob gonna be up all might working on this:)

micks110

Do you guys think the stuff being screwed up could be the reason the phone charger blew? Other wise I have no clue why that happened.

Andrew, or anyone for that matter. The only things that I have certain knowledge as to what size fuse I am supposed use are the bilge pump, radio, and fish finder. The other stuff- lights, horn, and phone charger/pump to fill up tubes my boat guy just told me to use 15amp fuses for them. Does that sound about right- 15amp for each of those things?

micks110

Well it's past 2 in the morning but I'm pretty sure I got everything corrected after double, triple, and quadrupal checking everything:)

We'll see tomorrow after I get some more fuses since I blew all mine out:)

Thank You So Much to everyone who chimed in- especially Andrew for the visual aides!

Goodnight

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Mick on fuses I add up the amperage of everything on the circuit and use the next size fuse up. If you can't find the amperage of something, but it has the wattage on it, you can convert watts to amps using this formula:

Amps = watts / voltage

So if you have a 10 watt bulb:

10 watts / 12 volts = .84 amps

I would be the grounding issue caused the car charger issue. Make sure the hot wire is going to the little contact in the center of the plug. If you have it backwards, that might cause an issue.

andgott

A 15 amp fuse is pretty hefty- Probably more than needed for lights, horns, etc- But would still provide protection if the circuit is shorted out. It's tough to tell sometimes what size to use, though- Arch's formula is great if you know the wattage, but that's not always available....

Thinking back to some of my old boats, I wondered if I had fuses of anywhere near the correct amperage- I usually just replaced it with what was there, never thinking that perhaps the guy that was there before me didn't know what they were doing!

andgott

Looks great- It's good to see that everything is working.... Electrical can be frustrating, but usually it's not too tough if you sit and think about it before diving in...

I see you are going to tackle the 'spatter' finish- I think it'll look nice! It'll tie the colors of the boat together, and make it look a lot more finished. Just be sure to mask well- The paint has a way of spattering everywhere- I'm still finding specs of it...

The key to getting a good, even finish is to practice- You need to learn exactly how much paint to 'load' the brush with, and how much force to toss the brush with... Use some cardboard or plywood scraps to practice on, rather than on the boat. It's a little tricky to get it down, but not TOO tough. I think that the result is worth the extra work, though!

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Mick,
Nice Video.
Glad you got most of the electrical working.
Boat and dash is really looking sweet.
Great work.
Bob

micks110

Tonight was a quick night on the boat- I got the UFC fight I'm watching. I took apart the throttle box and sprayed it with the evinrude charcoal metallic(this stuff is like glue when applied!) I also sprayed the throttle arms as well. They look like new- I love it, can't wait to spray the motor! I also sprayed they red handle and blue handle from the throttle arms and the two white nuts for the idle stop and throttle stop.

Here are the pics
cd73ae7f.jpg
[/IMG]
1f653b16.jpg
[/IMG]
af39cb83.jpg
[/IMG]
08c31477.jpg
[/IMG]
eca949b1.jpg
[/IMG]
94161bc7.jpg
[/IMG]

micks110

I wanna clean up the grease from the inside of the throttle box. My question is what kind of grease should I put back on it after I'm done cleaning it?

213ef13b.jpg
[/IMG]
ee2b3ebb.jpg
[/IMG]
c3f109c0.jpg
[/IMG]

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd go with white lithium grease. Box looks great.

micks110

I got the throttle box back together. I cleaned up all the old grease and used the white lithium grease in place of it. Thanks for the tip.

I took the top off the motor last night and started taking that apart to get it ready for paint.
aafe755c.jpg
[/IMG]
456e41a3.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is what it is supposed to look like. Somewhere along the way my neighbor painted it red.
cb811d73.jpg
[/IMG]

Alot of the stuff on my motor is faded, scratched, or beyond bringing it back to original looking. I am going to make some changes and paint some thing a little differently than what it is originally. For instance, the chrome pieces on the sides are faded/stained so I will be spraying them the charcoal metallic. Here they are primed
4a1e58df.jpg
[/IMG]

The evinrude symbols were pretty faded as well so I went with blue and red like they have on some of their other models.
19549fd2.jpg
[/IMG]
b314fd92.jpg
[/IMG]

continued...